Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #21
tstephens3232

Nacho, Thanks for the reassuring post. Have you/her had any problems kelp/grass getting caught in the prop?
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
tacoshop
Junior

I have the mariner 12.5 I love it it's super wide I do get a little eel grass but it's really easy to pull the prop up and clear the grass..
tacoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #23
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoshop View Post
I have the mariner 12.5 I love it it's super wide I do get a little eel grass but it's really easy to pull the prop up and clear the grass..
Thanks for the input.

Good or bad all the experiences posted here are valuable.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #24
nacho66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoshop View Post
X2, if you want to take it for a putt let me know.

Last edited by nacho66; 12-06-2015 at 11:38 AM.
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
bassmanben
Junior

Hey Hashem - I'm Native Pro Staff so let me know if you ever have any questions. I'm not sure if you still got my number or not, but you can send me a PM and i'll give you the number. I plan to come down next year for Fred Hall and will bring my Propel with me.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #26
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I also own an outback. I cannot ride a bike more than a few minutes as the rotary motion is painful. I can pedal a Hobie a few miles at a slower pace most of the day, Hobie is push/pull MUCH easier on my knees. The Propel is ROTARY which did not work for me, I tried one. AND reverse is NOT what you expect as you are steering with the rudder in the WRONG position. Rudders work great when going forward as they are then in the back as designed, but in reverse they are on the wrong end of the boat to work well. Reverse will stop forward motion and get you started going backward but steering is then lost. Hashem, wear that drive out then rebuild it or buy a NEW drive, keep tools and spare parts on board. NO Yak is perfect, but your outback is close to ideal and as you age it will treat you well. It is a WELL TESTED package. I wonder why so many more Hobies are sold??????? AND FISHED hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I'd be doing the same if I were in your shoes and that's why I'm going to suggest you just enjoy your new Outback! You used one, you liked it, you brought back from the dead every single outback posted for sale over the last year, and you bought one. I feel the same way about the Hobie as you do, but one of the benefits is that there's an abundance of resources/support locally to service or repair your Hobie. This is coming from a place of friendship; Known you quite a long time on another forum and hate to see you drive yourself mad!

I have kinda wondered if the Native Propel drive is easier on the knees?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #27
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanben View Post
Hey Hashem - I'm Native Pro Staff so let me know if you ever have any questions. I'm not sure if you still got my number or not, but you can send me a PM and i'll give you the number. I plan to come down next year for Fred Hall and will bring my Propel with me.

Hello Ben,

So nice to hear from you.

Keep in touch via here. Hope to see you at the Fred Hall Show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Hashem, wear that drive out then rebuild it or buy a NEW drive, keep tools and spare parts on board. NO Yak is perfect, but your outback is close to ideal and as you age it will treat you well. It is a WELL TESTED package. I wonder why so many more Hobies are sold??????? AND FISHED hard.
Thank you for the advise. Will do as recommended.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #28
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Well I still have not used my newly purchased 2013 Hobie Outback. However, since I learned about another option to Hobie with "pedal" drive, I am starting to look into it.

Two things bother me most about Hobie.
1)The monopoly they have in the market, thus no one can sell less than they want. Anything with a label Hobie on it seems way overpriced.
2)There are too many parts to the expensive Mirage Drive. Chances of failure are higher. Replacement parts are not cheap.

As to the plus side of the “Propel” drive; and if you watch the maintenance video of the unit, it seems very basic.
There is one shaft with one gear at each end. All sealed. No cables, cams, etc.

Pros---for Native Slayer Propel 13
The reverse capability is game changer for sure,
The drive unit lifts and a pivot for beach landing, no leash is needed.
The rudder does not have to be lifted for beach landing,
The kayak is very stable,
Lots of pre-mounted rails for accessories, useful features,
One flush-mount rod holder tube,
Nice, easily adjustable seat,
Free shipping is included, thus if I buy it from outside of California, I save about $260.00.
[However, that is bit risky, if there is any damage on route.]

Cons---
Front hatch cover is extra at $90.00,
Specialty cart is $200.00,
Did not see paddle is included at the $2,600.00 price,
The drive unit is locked-in. What happens when it gets shallow suddenly? It would pivot, if not locked-in.
Need to get more information about the above,
Rating of the supplied rudder is not good. There is an upgrade option.

I know I am starting to sound like I am a sales rep for the Native, but I have no affiliation to anybody.

Just thinking out loud. Per say.
I still own a paddle type yak, but definitely considering an upgrade to the dark side this year. One thing that I can't find on the Native propel is if they have a transducer mount. I keep seeing videos of guys mounting with an arm bar over the side. Also check this out, I'm sure the hobie guys will get a stiffie seeing this!

https://youtu.be/JDV5s3ZhwuY
Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
Mahigeer

Personally I don't care about which one is faster.

I care about which one is more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

Which one provides more included accessories.

For now I am a Hobie kayaker.

Future will tell.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #30
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
I still own a paddle type yak, but definitely considering an upgrade to the dark side this year. One thing that I can't find on the Native propel is if they have a transducer mount. I keep seeing videos of guys mounting with an arm bar over the side. Also check this out, I'm sure the hobie guys will get a stiffie seeing this!

https://youtu.be/JDV5s3ZhwuY
Dude just a get hobie, those Native's look so uncomfortable.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #31
sandico

Having pedaled the Slayer Propel 13 numerous times in Mission Bay and in Dana Point I can offer some insight.
Kelp and eel grass can get caught in the drive system. Lift the drive up and clear it off and your good to go, not a big deal. Mirage Drive will not be able to go through the same kelp that has clogged up the Propel Drive. It takes a good size piece.
The Slayer Propel is a comfortable kayak. Excellent seat. Stand up and fish in it all the time, very stable.
Going in reverse is not perfect but you are able to reverse. You look at any boat or ship that has a rudder positioned in the same location and they will not track well in reverse. Not a problem specific to this kayak. Hobies can't go in reverse at all with the drive.
As far as the drive being locked down, it does release quick enough for shallow water entry. Will require a similar depth as a Hobie to use the drive.
Seems easy for a lot of nay sayers when they haven't even been on this kayak.
Come on down to OEX Mission Bay and check them out and even demo. Talk to me, Kerry Peeler, and I will give you all of my take on the complete package.

Kerry
OEX Mission Bay
sandico is offline   Reply With Quote