Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
tomahawk

Non-Kayak Fly Fishing Trip

With the COVID cancelling my family Thanksgiving plans, my wife and decided on a Thursday to Sunday Bishop Trip. We stayed at the Creekside Inn all three nights. Left Lakewood around 8:30 arrived in Bishop right around 1. Checked in and unpacked. We headed over the to the lower owens area a little north of hwy 6 about 2pm. We looked around and fished a few areas for an hour or so for nothing. Then we headed over the are just south of hwy 6. I fished for about 30 mnutes and caught one 6" Brown on a pheasant tail nymph. By 4 it was pretty cold, so back to the hotel.
The next morning we we got up and out of the hotel around 830 (cold), we picked up sandwiches at the smoked meat shop on 395 and stopped by the trout magnet for a few flies. We headed over to the lower owens off chalk bluff road. We started fishing around 10 and it comfortable in waders over thermals and jeans on the bottom and thermals and sweatshirt on top. We stayed there until about 4. I got 11 Browns and lost a few more. My wife landed 4 browns and lost a few also. My fish ranged in size from about 8" to 12". My wife's were all about 10 to 12. All fish were on nymphs. I tried some dry flies and even saw some risers but could not get them to go. We fished the same area in October and again in early November. In October we fished with a guide a caught more and bigger fish, but the flow was much higher and harder to wade. In early November, the flow was better for wading and the fish size still good.
On Saturday we started a little late and headed over to Bishop creek for about 2 hours. I caught one 8" to 9" Brown on a BWO in small pool. I Found him under a tree branch, he came and hit my fly but did not take it. Five minutes later same thing. Another few minutes hew took it and I was able to land him. What a blast, it was my favorite fish of the weekend. Seeing him come out from under the tree and hitting the fly was awesome as it was about 12 feet from me and I could see it unfold. I had to resist the urge to set the hook too soon. From there we headed over to Hot Creek for a frustrating 2 hours. I could see jumping in front of me but I could not get them to bite anything. Tried several Dry flies and several nymphs but a single bite. A few other fishermen came by and tried the same area with the same results.
Sunday, on the road home around 830. Home at 1:30.
The weather Thursday was cold, high around 50. The rest of the weekend was great, highs in the low 60s. Lows were in the 20s but it warmed to 40 or so by about 9AM and into the low 50s by about 10 (which is when we started fishing).
Overall had a great time. Weather was great Friday and Saturday.
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Sounds like a perfect way to spend the holiday.
Thanks for the report!

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrSpencerallen

https://www.instagram.com/el_spencerino
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote