Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

drag setting?

what do you guys set your drag as for different line ratings? the 1/3rd rule is cool but sometimes it seems light to me. i've used 30 max for most of my kayak career but recently used 40lb mono top shot over braid and set it at 14lbs of drag. on an 8ft rod it was a bit on an ass kicker, 30 set at 11lb wasn't nearly as bad. half the time id get a good run and it felt like i was going to tip, if i wasnt in an x factor and something less stable, im sure i would have.

so what do you guys do?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Drake

I keep it really lite in the beginning ans adjust as I see fit.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
bubblehide

Try holding the rod closer to your body. Once I know the fish is clear of structure/kelp, I generally try and tuck the butt end against my leg, hold the rod vertical, and let the rod do the work until the fish is a bit worn down; otherwise those long sticks are nothing but a workout. But ya just gotta have a jig stick or two at the ready.

I stick with the 1/3 rule for my drag settings. As the line wears it becomes more important, but then so does changing out your top-shot. The nice thing about fishing spectra with short top-shots is that it's quick, easy, and cheap to change out a short top-shot.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
taggermike

I don't use a scale to set my drags and just sort of do it by feel. A heavy drag is some times not useful on a yak cause if the fish runs out it will tow the drag of the yak enstead of the reels drag and when the fish is straight down you can feel tippy. How are you fighting your fish? I have found a a technique that I use on all big fish (YT) when they are straight up and down. Kayaks have little latteral stability, obviously, and much stability bow to stern. This means the farther you hold your rod to perpendicular off the side the less stability you have. It looks kinda strange and I have never seen any body do this but me, but I sit on the rod, put my left foot on the rail, and lay the rod across my left instep. The tip of the rod is now just a few inches off the side of the yak and close to the bow. The most stable position. Further, with the rod in the lowest posible spot right above and paralel to the deck the center of gravity is as low as it can get. Again mors stablility. I do not pump or lift the rod at all. When I see the rod begin to recover, lose its bend, I crank the reel and grind a bend back in to the rod. Ths puts constant and heavy presure on the fish, even when liftin/dropping on swells, and never lets slack in the line like lifting a pumping some times can. I came up with this idea as a sort of kayak highbrid of these 2 styles, east coast giant blue fin fishing and west coast long range rail rodding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7ZcDnIW_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1DGQNEpTLM

When my reel has lacked the torque to crank a bend in to the rod I have used the east coast style of grabbing the line at the stripper and pulling it in to the reel. Long post but I hope this helps you fish a heavier drag. Works for me. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote