Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Yak2718
Junior

Feelfree moken 12.5 kayak

Has anyone seen or heard how these yak preform? Are they worth the $1100.. They are called the feel free moken 12.5 and they have a 14' from what I have read they seem like a good boat for the guy who enjoys going big lake and ocean a few times a month. I turn to you guys for some more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.9 KB, 163 views)
Yak2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
YakMedic

They are an awesome boat, I have most the fishing boats in the Feelfree line and I've been very impressed with them all. The Moken 12.5 is a good all around platform super stable and tracks well. If you plan on doing any long distance paddling the Moken 14 really shines, its slightly narrower thus faster and tracks like a dream.

Being on Feelfree's pro staff I obviously do have some bias to my answer but I've owned about 15 kayaks in the last 8 years and I represent Feelfree because I believe in their products.

Where do you live? I can meet up with you and let you test paddle them. Its always best to try and demo multiple kayaks before you can decide what is the best fit for you.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I picked up yakmedics old Moken 14 and I've also fishedoff of his 12.5 and I love both boats. I'm a big guy and they are both stable platforms and I like the storage on them. The built in gear tracks are great and the seat is comfy.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Yak2718
Junior

Feelfree

Thanks for the quick replay, I live in SoCal. Rancho Cucamonga but work down by the beach in San Diego co. Where can I find the 12.5 near by?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Maxfli123

Sometimes the front hatch leaks...but feelfree may have fixed that problem. Test it before you buy it.
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
OEX Sunset Beach

I have a 12.5 you can try out.
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEX Sunset Beach View Post
I have a 12.5 you can try out.
Check out OEX Sunset, you can demo other boats while you're there and find what you like. If you don't make the drive to Sunset Beach I'm in the IE and can meet you at a Silverwood or Perris so you can check them out.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
Yak2718
Junior

Test drive

That would be great to be able to test paddle that boat. Let me know when you are in the IE
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfli123 View Post
Sometimes the front hatch leaks...but feelfree may have fixed that problem. Test it before you buy it.
I second this. The hatch itself may be water tight but the seal between the kayak and the hatch, not so much. This can be fixed, but make sure that's done before you buy the boat. Here's a video I shot when I was a rep for Moken, I have been assured that it's been corrected on the newer boats, but for you safety I recommend testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJW6YBABah4

I have nothing against the Mokens, I think they are very stable boats.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote