Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #1
goldenglory18

MDR - 4/1/17 - Skunk again

Saturday PM I hit Marina Del Rey. This is the third time out with fishing in mind and another skunk to my name.

Launched around 4pm. Planned to hit all the structure I could see in Basin D (holy cow there was A LOT.) I tried to simplify my attack and only threw an Ima 100 jerkbait and a 1/2oz Warbaits w/orange and red SB tails. Result, not even a sniff.

I'm wondering if I'm still not fishing slow enough. This time out, I committed to fishing as low, and slow as I possibly can and I still think I tried to cover too much water and didn't dissect the structure enough. Either that or the spotties just aren't hiding in the types of places I'm used to getting freshwater bites.

...or there just arent any fish in this water and I should just giveup and head to LJ.

Have a great week everyone!

- KT

Last edited by goldenglory18; 07-18-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Title update
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Battle of the Bays...

Just think...even a skunk expert like yourself could still win the grand prize 4 day trip to Cedros Kayak Fishing without even catching a fish in the Battle of the Bays Tournaments....or buy the lucky raffle ticket and get yourself a new i11s with the new 180 Mirage drive...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
TheBentRod

Throw flashers and shiny crocodile lures. Spinnerbait and anything with vibrations in Marina Del Rey or don't waste your time. Never had luck in the basins. I would stick with main channels.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Try the early morning sun-up bite. You know how you wake up in the morning and have breakfast... usually the fish do too.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
Throw flashers and shiny crocodile lures. Spinnerbait and anything with vibrations in Marina Del Rey or don't waste your time. Never had luck in the basins. I would stick with main channels.
Good call. Next on my "to try" list is a bladed swimjig (one of my favorite presentations back home.)

I really, REALLY thought some hungry spotties would be hiding in the back of Basin D. That's the area under construction with the docks that are blocked off with a floating rope....

Main channel will be my target the next time I go out solo minus the wifey (shes still not super comfortable paddling her SUP that far.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Try the early morning sun-up bite. You know how you wake up in the morning and have breakfast... usually the fish do too.
I was hoping to hit the evening bite. Do saltwater fish not have that sunrise/sunset feeding cycle?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
bwana

Blem lures and bait work the best.

I was at tidelands Saturday for a HOW event and ended up mentoring the only two people that were not fishing.

After paddling for a couple of hours, my girls stopped to talk and drift for 10 minutes.

I saw my opportunity to fish. I tossed out a Zman and ended up catching a tournament sized 15" spotted bay bass. My only fish of the day. Not bad for 10 minutes of fishing.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Blem lures and bait work the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
I was at tidelands Saturday for a HOW event and ended up mentoring the only two people that were not fishing.

After paddling for a couple of hours, my girls stopped to talk and drift for 10 minutes.

I saw my opportunity to fish. I tossed out a Zman and ended up catching a tournament sized 15" spotted bay bass. My only fish of the day. Not bad for 10 minutes of fishing.
Now you're just making me feel stupid. LOL

Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I was hoping to hit the evening bite. Do saltwater fish not have that sunrise/sunset feeding cycle?
Although they still have the feeding cycle, I have noticed that the bite is very consistently better during 2 conditions especially in harbors.

1. Early Morning - Even on slow days, I can manage 1-2 fish just at first light.
2. Current/Swinging Tide - Fish seem to feed on the tide swing or current. Water movement is key.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Amish Ed

What Denis said is very true. Especially for Newport at this time of year. I get the majority of my fish in the first hour. Night fishing in the winter can be way better than day light fishing. Once the the water warms (and stays consistent) the bite will pick up through out the day and current will be the bigger factor.

BTW, I love my Warblades and Coolbaits underspins.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Although they still have the feeding cycle, I have noticed that the bite is very consistently better during 2 conditions especially in harbors.

1. Early Morning - Even on slow days, I can manage 1-2 fish just at first light.
2. Current/Swinging Tide - Fish seem to feed on the tide swing or current. Water movement is key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
What Denis said is very true. Especially for Newport at this time of year. I get the majority of my fish in the first hour. Night fishing in the winter can be way better than day light fishing. Once the the water warms (and stays consistent) the bite will pick up through out the day and current will be the bigger factor.
Awesome info as always guys. Thanks a ton!

Quote:
BTW, I love my Warblades and Coolbaits underspins.
I'm actually considering investing in a blade/reaction specific rod as the Chatterbait and other bladedjig + trailer was one of my faves on large AZ lakes. I've heard awesome stuff about the newer offerings from St Croix, and I've been chompin at the bit to get a hold of a Daiwa Tatula HD for bay use...
Old 04-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
Amish Ed

Haven't had any luck on the chatterbait. But, amittedly I don't fish it much. The 2 I already mentioned though I fish a lot. I just use whatever rod is appropriate for the weight.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Haven't had any luck on the chatterbait. But, amittedly I don't fish it much. The 2 I already mentioned though I fish a lot. I just use whatever rod is appropriate for the weight.
Totally different situations obviously (fresh vs salt) but the chatterbait is HUGE in the AZ lakes. You can fish those things virtually anywhere, and depending on blade color and size of the trailer, you can have a small flashy lure in clear water or a big, thumping bait in stained.

From everything I'm learning about fishing inshore/bays, I'm thinking the same might apply, and there's only one way to truly find out...$$$$.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
fourtogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Totally different situations obviously (fresh vs salt) but the chatterbait is HUGE in the AZ lakes. You can fish those things virtually anywhere, and depending on blade color and size of the trailer, you can have a small flashy lure in clear water or a big, thumping bait in stained.

From everything I'm learning about fishing inshore/bays, I'm thinking the same might apply, and there's only one way to truly find out...$$$$.
Swim Baits work best for harbor Bass . Grubs Swimmers Thing Baits 3-4"
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote