Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
cjthomas

I have both the X-factor and the Mini-X. I'm 5'11 and 180 pounds so the x-factor is a little big for me. The x-factor is a better kayak for La Jolla because of the speed and tracking as previously mentioned. With the x-factor you can get some momentum going, stop paddling, and glide for a little while. The mini-x has a very hard time gliding. Also, as you paddle, the mini-x bow will move right-to-left, or left to right. The difference is like walking (mini-x) and skating (x-factor). You will go faster and cover more ground on the x-factor, which is good in La Jolla.

Also, the x-factor doesn't do too bad in the surf if you know how to work it (lean back, paddle in the wave, hang foot over the side). Plus, it has TONS of storage so all your rods (even the 8 foot ones) will fit nicely inside the kayak.

Both kayaks are great though. I love the mini-x for bay fishing and the x-factor for open ocean. They are both SUPER stable, being over 30 inches wide, I can stand up paddle either one. So if you plan on covering a lot of ground I would consider something with better speed and tracking then the mini-x.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote