Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Slappy

Newport Harbor 150lber!!!!

Buddy and I fished AM. 6 short calicos. While fishing a chartreuse spinner bait I hooked a monster that headed straight for the beach. Seabass in the harbor???? Monster halibut????? After initial run I realize it felt like it was flying. This bad boy jumps but only one wing comes out the water because this thing is huge. I hooked a 150lb Mud Marlin in the wing. Almost spooled me on 12lb test several times. 20 min fight with wake behind my kayak. Once I got up and down on it in about 5 feet of water to try to unhook it it just stopped and sat on the bottom. I couldn't budge it dead weight. Wing span was over 5 feet visible on both sides. Seriously the biggest bat ray I've ever seen. Felt bad that I couldn't get a chance to get the spinner bait out of him, but in hindsight I'm glad he didn't give me the opportunity to capsize me.

A fun day. Water is about 3 degrees too cool. Another month and the harbor should be picking up.

Last edited by Slappy; 03-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote