Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #81
janines.fishtales@cox.net

1st Islander trip!

I just put a deposit down with the guys at OEX for the Islander 1.5 in May. I am already beside myself! Can't wait!

Janine
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #82
45user

Guys,
I'd appreciate it if you can Share what you're bringing for noob like me For now this is my set up.
-Mini x -probably this will get upgraded to a bigger yak if there's another parking lot sale from OEX before the trip.
-phenix psw 760ml w/ avet sx, 20#, phenix psw 760m w/avet mxj, 30#, psw808mh w/daiwa lexa 300 w/40# power pro
-wader, wind jacket, fishing backpack for tackle

Thanks,

Last edited by 45user; 01-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #83
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Guys,
I'd appreciate it if you can Share what you're bringing for noob like me For now this is my set up.
-Mini x -probably this will get upgraded to a bigger yak if there's another parking lot sale from OEX before the trip.
-phenix psw 760ml w/ avet sx, 20#, phenix psw 760m w/avet mxj, 30#, psw808mh w/daiwa lexa 300 w/40# power pro

Thanks,
Rods and reels are a good mix that can handle anything you will fish for there. Take a few Irons in blue/white and scrambled egg and some weedless plastics in reds and greens. I would recommend that you get yourself a paddle jacket, not a wind jacket. If you don't have your Mini X already set up with a fishfinder and/or bait tank, I would recommend you rent an Outback for more room.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #84
45user

Thanks Greg!
I enjoyed some on your videos!
Yes I do have PFD, forgot to mention that. So something in 20-50lb line rating rods are probably overkill, yeah?
And I don't have ff and baits and on my mini x. And trying to get a bigger kayak and insta both ff and bait tank.
Thanks for the info on the irons and plastic! Really appreciate it!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #85
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
No scrambling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I/we like to show up around 2 or 3ish, gives us time to slowly unload, grab some lunch/dinner, shoot the sh*t with the other yakker's and listen to Matt's wonderful fishing stories, this year will be even more eventful with Frank joining the crowd.

Traffic on the 5fwy south can go from OK to HOLY CR*P, WE'RE NEVER GOING TO MAKE IT ON TIME! I'm not sure where you're coming from but if it normally takes you 2 hours to get to San Diego allow yourself an additional 2-3hours, you'll thank me later. The extra time will allow you to make runs to the grocery store, hardware store or tackle shop for anything that you may have forgotten to pack.
Just to make sure I won't be scrambling, I just took all my reels apart (just the light ones I may take with me) and are soaking in degreaser and will be servicing this weekend. Also building tow lines & tie-off lines & dock lines while waiting to reassemble my reels.

Already went down to OEX SSB last week to pick up the GB SEAIRSPORT SEATs I ordered and to finally pull the trigger on the Outback I've been talking about with "ANDY" over the last year or so.

Andy spent plenty of time with me going over the accessories I wanted and placement of some of those items. Tried to wipe out the option list as best I could, asked a lot of questions, Andy was a pure professional in his customer service.

After all was said and done I didn't' go over $2400!!!

With any luck , though I'm not in any hurry, I'll have it in a couple of weeks.
The maiden voyage will be on the "Castaic Lagoon" for the first few trips for the bass spawn, then out to Cabrillo or Ventura/Oxnard for some practice surf launches. Then I take on La Jolla & try to catch me a or .
Hope to see you'll out there soon!!!

So I'll be ready for this trip a couple weeks in advance. (hopefully build up some good "JUJU/MOJO" on my yak.)
FFY.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 02-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #86
FishNinjaY

Are only solo kayaks allowed? I know no PAs, but what about tandem Outfitters or Oasis?

If I were to go on this charter with my Hobie tandem, but plan on kayaking solo, would that be a bad idea? I'm not sure what the water/weather conditions are? Thanks...
-Jay (yak-noob)
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #87
Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Are only solo kayaks allowed? I know no PAs, but what about tandem Outfitters or Oasis?

If I were to go on this charter with my Hobie tandem, but plan on kayaking solo, would that be a bad idea? I'm not sure what the water/weather conditions are? Thanks...
-Jay (yak-noob)
I am interested in this question as well...
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #88
Siebler

Tandems are fine either as a single or with 2 people. 2 people means 2 fares though as the price is for food, bait, etc not for hauling the kayak.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #89
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Guys,

Thanks,

VHF Radio to call in the zodiac for more bait or to pick up your fish
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #90
Siebler

1.5 is full

Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #91
IslanderFishing

Just spoke with CJ @ OEX and grabbed the last spot for the May 24-27 Fri-Mon (Memorial Day weekend) trip. Super stoked!
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #92

1.5 day trip

Hey all!

Our trip is getting closer! For those of you who have done this before, I just want to make sure I am bringing what I need. Is this trip mostly geared toward calico bass fishing? I was thinking of bringing a light bass rod that has a Calcutta on it. Also I will bring a heavier YT set up that has a Daiwa Sealine on it with braid. I have something in between the two, a Calstar rod with an Avet reel. Should I bring my Seeker with the Newell on it for surface irons or not the right time of year? I have a bass rod (Seeker) that I have a Shimano (new reel) spinning reel on it. Is this not the place for spinning gear? What else to I need to make sure and bring?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Janine
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #93
Siebler

Bring the jig stick. Iron YT are always possible but iron calicos are a blast.

Ill bring 2 bass rods, a jig stick, a 30lb bait stick, and a 40/50 Yoyo rod.

You can fish spinning gear without a doubt, just the island has some PIG calico's so personally I would just use your caster and have spinning as a backup if anything.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #94

Perfect. Do I need to bring equipment to keep my battery/radio charged (re; battery charger, multi - outlet strip etc...) or does the boat provide that? I am open to suggestions as far as what you think I might need to get the most out of this trip. Can you tell I'm excited?!!

Janine
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #95
Siebler

On a 1.5 day you shouldnt need to recharge anything but no the boat doesnt provide that stuff.

My suggestion, Look at what you think you need 5 or 6 times because especially being your first trip, You will likely bring too much.

Also pack tackle so that you dont load 1000lbs of gear on the kayak. Remember you can take just a few items and come back to the boat for more. Making your kayak heavy for the crew just makes everything harder.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #96

Ok. Good suggestions. Thanks CJ.

Janine
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #97
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Perfect. Do I need to bring equipment to keep my battery/radio charged (re; battery charger, multi - outlet strip etc...) or does the boat provide that? I am open to suggestions as far as what you think I might need to get the most out of this trip. Can you tell I'm excited?!!

Janine
haha.. I'm getting excited, and my trip isn't until JUNE!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #98

I know the feeling bruddah! I have had trouble sleeping before a fishing trip since I was 6 years old. I'm 52 now and I still do!

Janine
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #99
mtnbykr2

I'm a ready teddy!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #100
jorluivil

I'm already at the landing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote