Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

First trip

Was really missing not having a kayak for a year. I have been fishing on Mikes boat a lot and although we have done really well the last season, I’ve been missing the sleigh rides.

A few weeks ago we were coming in from a nice day at La Jolla with a few nice tails from south La Jolla area. After hitting the dock and getting some nice fish on ice, I jammed over and picked up a new camo outback with the 180.

Last weekend I took the new kayak out of mission bay with my friend Chad and as soon as we hit the water, remembered why I’ve been missing it so much. Made some quick bait outside and set up a nice drift on a 3 way swivel. First drop and I’m bit within 60 seconds. Fishing 20lb flouro for leader. Nice little tow and feels like a Black. Sure enough, good size BSB. Swam back after a short revival. Reset the drift in the same area and next drop im bit again. This one feeling heavier, but again feels like a Black. Yep, back to back drops on big BSB. The second being bigger. Searched the area for some cousins of mr BSB, but couldn’t find the right fish.

Still a fun day on the water and ended up with many other species. Sand bass, calicos, sculpin, sheepshead, and others among the BSB.

Really excited about hitting baja this year. And even more excited I’m back on a yak.

YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
jlabs63

Nice. Did you catch the BSB in Mission Bay?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Nice. Did you catch the BSB in Mission Bay?

No, we were fishing outside the channel in 90-115 FOW. Nice amount of kelp grew back from OB pier and south towards Point Loma.
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote