Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
matthew7!

Poke bowl and sushi??? What fish and what recipe?

I want to make poke bowls and sushi but don’t now much. I love getting fish at restaurants but would like to make some myself. Personally I mainly catch sheephead, bass, rock fish,and mackerel. What do you guy make sushi out of and what fish do you prefer. How do you prep your fish on the water and at home? And if you don’t made any recipes? Mainly curious about which fish you will make sushi out of. As always thank you for your time and fish on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

If you didn't see it, I posted a vid recently on making ceviche...
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=35071 A lot of the focus was on making raw fish in that style and definitely transcends to poke/sashimi.... Definitely focused on White flaky fish like Rockfish/SheepHead/Calico

I'd recommend giving this guy a follow for starts... https://www.instagram.com/salabat408/
I've learned a ton from him and he's just a rad guy in general.
He really opened my eyes to how amazing even surf perch or opaleye can be.
I'm also a huge fan of Outdoor Chef Life https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNq...VY9Sx_ZK_WuOAA

If you're not in the habit of dispatching your kill, that's your best start. Ikejime is your friend. There's a ton of resources available on youtube and in general. The sooner the fish stops twitching, the less lactic acid buildup. I haven't gotten to the point of actually coring the spinal cord to stop all movement, but I do brain spike and slit the gills. I keep the fish in the water, but they'd be better on ice. You could also gut the fish on the water.

From there, you can kind of "Age" the fish. That guy above recommends keeping in a ziploc bag 1-3 days on ice, never rinsing with freshwater unless you're *just* about to eat.

Personally, I freeze my fish for a few days before eating raw *just* to be safe, but you can also visually inspect for parasites, etc.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
FoodGeekFish

From fresh caught -

Sushi: Yellowtail, tuna, albacore

Poke: All of the above plus well kept bonito/skipjack

From the store - Same plus salmon, scallop, surimi (Krab)
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

Poke bowl and sushi??? What fish and what recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Personally, I freeze my fish for a few days before eating raw *just* to be safe, but you can also visually inspect for parasites, etc.
I only know of this because my wife’s a biologist and likes to tell me things when I don’t ask. Do your own research but I don’t think freezing fish does any good in kill parasites. Our freezers don’t get cold enough.

Here’s the first answer I pulled off a quick google search.

“Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present.”

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Try a spanish mackerel they are supposed to be good sashimi. Or you can do a bonito if you bleed it right away and keep it well iced.

Yellowtail is ideal for sashimi, poke, ceviche, seared, pretty much anyway raw. Bleed it in the water, gut and gill it, brine for at least 24 hours before cutting the fish. You will need a big cooler. Good luck!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 AM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

Matt, if you want to eat sashimi and parasites are a concern, you can always flash freeze with dry ice and alcohol.

Of the fish you listed mackerel are excellent pickled raw ala shimesaba, the rest are better cooked due to high levels of connective tissue.

Evaluate each fish like it is a piece of beef, and you will quickly find good roles for each. Speaking of which, beef can be pretty excellent raw, like Filet Americain.

The best seafood in our waters for sashimi that are readily catchable by most are yellowtail, and spanish mackerel. If you can catch urchins, they are also excellent.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
I only know of this because my wife’s a biologist and likes to tell me things when I don’t ask. Do your own research but I don’t think freezing fish does any good in kill parasites. Our freezers don’t get cold enough.

Here’s the first answer I pulled off a quick google search.

“Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present.”

Yep.
I remember reading that a couple of years back...
I checked my deep freeze at the time and it’s rated down to -8F
I should def add the caveat though... it’s important it get that cold and stay that cold

To be fair, I don’t know a single person who’s gotten even mildly sick from a seal worm, etc.

The frozen thing I try to be extra diligent about if I’m serving to a friend

Also I’m pretty sure “likes to tell me things when I didn’t ask” is in my wife’s job description ��
Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Matt, if you want to eat sashimi and parasites are a concern, you can always flash freeze with dry ice and alcohol.

Of the fish you listed mackerel are excellent pickled raw ala shimesaba, the rest are better cooked due to high levels of connective tissue.

Evaluate each fish like it is a piece of beef, and you will quickly find good roles for each. Speaking of which, beef can be pretty excellent raw, like Filet Americain.

The best seafood in our waters for sashimi that are readily catchable by most are yellowtail, and spanish mackerel. If you can catch urchins, they are also excellent.
Ok also now I’m super curious about that flash freezing technique. (Added to the research bin)

Good point on uni... I’m actually working on a catch and cook with uni and scallops. If you dive and are far north enough it’s like going to the grocery store
Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
TJones

Ultimate fishing tv

You tube. Great videos. Btw on one of his how to fillet a fish videos, he recommends not to gut fish, or wash fish in fresh water. He sends out samples to laboratory of fish that has been gutted, and fish washed in fresh water. They had 3-4 times more bacteria as opposed to just filleting fish without touching stomach cavity or washing with fresh water. As far as recipe, Something simple but delicious is sushi hand roll. Yellowtail, cucumber slice, jalapeño slice and some rice wrapped in seaweed paper. Splash of soy sauce and wasabi. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds. Ginger on side.
Poke bowl I use tuna caught from charter or bought from Ralph’s market. Good luck grabbing a tuna off a kayak in local waters. Yes, it has been done. But, timing has to be just right.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
Oolie
Headshots Only

Since you specifically asked about sushi, it bears mentioning that the most important part is the rice.

Here is a recipe. There is ample short grain available at the local Japanese markets, so you should definitely seek that out.

Since Hon-wasabi really is not available at least the kind you would use for sushi, I would seek out or make yourself Yuzu Kosho, it's the wasabi of western japan, and is better suited to So-Cal tastes anyways. Try lemon or lime zest, or a blend.

It occurred to me that many fishermen are able to catch market squid, and that it is one of my favorite nigirizushi toppings, but if you do catch them, your knifework needs to be on point.

I found a video which details Sabazushi in the Kyoto style, it's here if you are interested.

Last edited by Oolie; 05-26-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote