Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
spudz

Through the hull wet mount vs glue/goop mount

Going to install a fish finder this weekend. Will be a through the hull transducer installation. Debating between a wet mount vs the glue/goop mount. Pros/cons between the two? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Vansmack
Junior

After reading all the threads here and in other places, I used GB Duct Seal. I Goop'ed in a "reservoir" to hold it securely in place, pressed in a layer of duct seal, then the transducer, then filled in all around the TD with more duct seal.

Worked perfect!!

Rubbermade container, Wal-Mart, chopped up to fit. $1.87
Goop, Wal-Mart. $3.88
GB Duct Seal, Lowes. $2.50
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
jorluivil

When I had my outback I originally mounted the transducer using the wet mount. When I bought my HDS 5 I went with the duct seal and never ever had an issue with it. My outback traveled outside down in hot and cold temps and it never came loose. I prefer the duct seal mount method over the wet mount.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 07-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Go to Home Depot

Buy 1 stick of Duct Seal putty 2.99

Clean the surface in the kayak where application will take place

Press the brick of putty slightly onto the kayak surface

Press transducer into the putty.

Done.

Do not create containers, walls or anything else. Don't get cute...just press ducer into putty...done.

Next best thing is to cut a hole in kayak bottom to get the best quality out of your fancy ff. Research this method on this web site.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
theluckypig

you can also check out Andy at oex, he has a portable, over the side transducer mount that puts the transducer right in the water. i use the same idea, and it gives a vastly improved display from the hull-glue mount that i used in the past...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

+1

The only way to go. Accurate temp and much better picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
Going to install a fish finder this weekend. Will be a through the hull transducer installation. Debating between a wet mount vs the glue/goop mount. Pros/cons between the two? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
Unless you are using the portable arm over the side installation, using the Electrical Putty install to me is better and less permanent. You can move the ducer when ever you want, and you'll get great results. Nothing beats getting the Transducer into the water, but the next best thing would be the putty installation. No need for making any brackets or anything, once you press the ducer down onto the putty, that thing will not move, even if you drop your Kayak off the top of an SUV 2 times like I did.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have done the goop. Didn't like it reading not consistent. Could not get all air bubbles out. Then went to plumber putty/duct seal. Worked better but temps were not accurate. Picture was better. Now I am using a wet mount. I think its the best so far and water temp is pretty accurate. No issue with leaking or anything at all. Unless you get direct in the water. The wet mount is the best I have used so far.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote