Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Oxbeast1210

Fishfinder help

Im trying to decide on which of the following fishfinders to get. I did some research and am more confused then ever. I'm debating between the following:

Lowrance HDS 5 or 7
and
raymarine dragonfly 5.6 or 7

I have a PA12 and will be fishing La jolla and the Bays

Tell me which one gets your vote and if there is anything I should take into consideration . Also if you have the dragonfly how do you like it?

thanks
Oscar
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
tacmik

dragon fly
Old 12-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
danjor

I personally have a HDS 7 and it is great. But personlly I'd like to switch to a dragonfly 7 due to the structure scan which cost too much to add to lowrance...
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Dragonfly. It's like watching the fish bite your lure!!!
My lowrance freaks out in 4' of bay water covered with grass.
Dragonfly shows the fish in the grass!
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
TJones

Check out the new

Hds gen 3 . They are just releasing info at manufacturers website . Not available in stores yet . Lowrance products work well with the new hobies .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
cell128
lizard king

I got a elite hdi4 in hull mount on non Lawrence ready outback.... Would it make a big difference if the ducer was In the water as far as picture clarity? I always have a hard time reading it in 150+ ft depth....anyone else experience this or should I tinker with the settings. What's a good setup for u if u have this unit?

Last edited by cell128; 12-20-2014 at 05:59 AM.
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I love my hds 7. Went thru this same thing just a little while ago. The only flaw I see with the dragon fly. Is it has no adjustability turn on and go.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I got a elite hdi4 in hull mount on non Lawrence ready outback.... Would it make a big difference if the ducer was In the water as far as picture clarity? I always have a hard time reading it in 150+ ft depth....anyone else experience this or should I tinker with the settings. What's a good setup for u if u have this unit?
It will make a big difference. Had a elite 5 in the hull. Now have lowrance ready. Night and day difference between the two.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
cell128
lizard king

Damn...I thought I was crazy.....I might try a over the side pvc setup or through scupper hole....unless I sell the outback and upgrade to one with duxer ready mount...thanks for the tip
Old 12-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
octico

I have the DragonFly 5.6 ... what a difference from my old Elite-4. I would be sitting next to folks and they would be telling the was structure underneath, I saw nothing. The DragonFly is amazing no configuration, just plug it in and go. I can see structure in 200 ft of water where before I was not able to.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Hds gen 3 . They are just releasing info at manufacturers website . Not available in stores yet . Lowrance products work well with the new hobies .
Oooo I just looked up the gen 3. I think I might sell my gen 2 and grab a gen 3 when they come out. Just where to put all 3 transducers on a pro angler 14. Guess you could do the thru hull chirp and broadband and put the big structure scan just on the bottom where the cart won't hit it. Anyone want to buy a HDS7 gen 2
Old 12-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
It will make a big difference. Had a elite 5 in the hull. Now have lowrance ready. Night and day difference between the two.

I second that. Big difference. Plus temp readings help.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Oooo I just looked up the gen 3. I think I might sell my gen 2 and grab a gen 3 when they come out. Just where to put all 3 transducers on a pro angler 14. Guess you could do the thru hull chirp and broadband and put the big structure scan just on the bottom where the cart won't hit it. Anyone want to buy a HDS7 gen 2

That new gen 3 looks sweet but over 1k? That's some serious coin.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
cell128
lizard king

Thanks guys. Gonna rig something up
Old 12-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Oxbeast1210

The GEn 3 does look sweet but out of my budget for now.

thanks for the input everyone i'm leaning towards the dragonfly 7
Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
TJones

Don't quote me on this

Quote:
If you click on the package deals it shows the standard transducers . 83 and 50 kHz. It's one transducer and the structure scan lss2 . P.s. If you figure out a way to mount the Lss 2 , let me know please .
Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
danjor

Quote:
If you click on the package deals it shows the standard transducers . 83 and 50 kHz. It's one transducer and the structure scan lss2 . P.s. If you figure out a way to mount the Lss 2 , let me know please .
I haven't seen the lss2 in person but knowing the size if you were to use 2 thru hull one for chirp and one for broadband on the two flat sides adjacent to the lowrance ready area on the pro angler and put the lss2 in the middle and route the cable up thru the lowrance ready area that would work, just would have be careful with the big transducer there. And to the people thinking were crazy trying to put all these expensive electronics on our yaks, its still cheaper to have a yak than a boat
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
TJones

To work properly

Quote:
I haven't seen the lss2 in person but knowing the size if you were to use 2 thru hull one for chirp and one for broadband on the two flat sides adjacent to the lowrance ready area on the pro angler and put the lss2 in the middle and route the cable up thru the lowrance ready area that would work, just would have be careful with the big transducer there. And to the people thinking were crazy trying to put all these expensive electronics on our yaks, its still cheaper to have a yak than a boat
Structure scan or down scan transducers ( including the lss 2 )need to be in the water .
Old 12-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
danjor

Quote:
Structure scan or down scan transducers ( including the lss 2 )need to be in the water .
I know I said put it on the bottom of the boat, aka goop it to the bottom hull the side that is i t the water not inside the yak and put the wire up threw the scupper of the lowrance ready area.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
Oxbeast1210

Well my wife caught me researching the two fish finders and said to stop looking because she already got me one of them. she wont tell me which brand but said its a 7 inch screen.