Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
FISHIONADO

Diver down at LJ

They have been searching for this diver since about 9:00am Saturday morning. Don't judge too early, breaking news is usually inaccurate. RIP.

UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
11:36 a.m. October 4, 2008
LA JOLLA – Search and rescue teams are searching for a man in his 40s who disappeared while diving off La Jolla Shores with his 19-year-old son Saturday morning.

The pair were diving at about 150 feet when the father ran out of air, San Diego lifeguard Lt. John Greenhalgh said. The two began buddy breathing, passing the mouthpiece of the son's air tank between them as they started ascending to the surface. The son ran out of air at about 40 feet below the surface and at some point became separated from his father, Greenhalgh said.

When he surfaced, the son began waving his arms in distress and lifeguards responded, beginning an immediate search with dive teams, a helicopter and boats, Greenhalgh said.

The son was taken to UCSD Medical Center as a precautionary measure because of his rapid ascent.

By 10 a.m., search teams from the U.S. Coast Guard and agencies around the county were participating and the mission had been reclassified as a recovery effort, Greenhalgh said.

The father and son were diving for the first time after receiving their certification, he said. Authorities have not released their names.

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Shorty

I have not scuba dived for more than 20 years but 150 feet seems deep for beginners, a sad case.

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Open Water certification is only good for 60'. Or it was when I did the PADI program in Okinawa back in '03. I've found myself down to 100' but 150' is much, much different.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
prowlerdude

Bummer... I wondered what those non-familiar Lifeguard vehicles and cameras on the beach were on the web-cam were earlier.

Condolences...
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

RIP.

I hit 136 in the canyon and that gripped me.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
herbo

Used to dive alot in the last century, sounds like not enough deep openwater beginner trips...RIP
Old 10-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Very sad story, my condolences to the family.

Here's an update from the Union...

Man dies on first certified dive
Teenage son tried to save father's life
By Kristina Davis
STAFF WRITER
October 5, 2008
LA JOLLA – The body of a 45-year-old diver was found yesterday afternoon after a five-hour search off La Jolla Shores.
John Sonsteng, of Poway, and his 19-year-old son were diving for the first time after receiving their certification at a depth of about 150 feet at 9 a.m. when Sonsteng ran out of air, San Diego lifeguard Lt. John Greenhalgh said.

Search teams from the U.S. Coast Guard and lifeguard agencies around the county scoured the sea for hours before finding Sonsteng using a remote-controlled underwater vehicle about 2:30 p.m.

When Sonsteng ran out of air, the two began “buddy breathing,” sharing the air supply from the son's tank as they tried to ascend to the surface, but they became separated.
The son told authorities that he continued to ascend, but he too ran out of air at about 40 feet below the surface, Greenhalgh said.
When he surfaced in front of the La Jolla Shores lifeguard station, about a quarter of a mile out to sea, he began waving his arms and caught the attention of a lifeguard.
The teen was taken to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest as a precautionary measure because of his rapid ascent. He was listed in “stable but guarded condition” yesterday, a nursing supervisor said. It was unclear whether he was suffering from decompression sickness, in which gas bubbles form in the bloodstream.
Rescuers launched an immediate search with dive teams, a helicopter and boats, but by 10 a.m. the mission was reclassified as a recovery effort, Greenhalgh said. Divers from the Coast Guard and other agencies later responded to aid in the search.
Dive instructor Todd Young, with Aqua Tech Dive Center, said his group of student divers had just completed their first dive when lifeguards ordered all divers in the area out of the water.
Young said novice recreational divers are taught not to exceed a depth of 60 feet unless they have more advanced training. Divers who breathe high-pressure gas at extreme depths can begin to feel as though they are drunk and judgment can be seriously impaired.
“We preach that you should always be watching your gauges and compass,” Young said.

Staff writer J. Harry Jones contributed to this report.

Kristina Davis: (619) 542-4591; kristina.davis@uniontrib.com
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
dorf

A sad case of Diver error.
I hate to sound cold or cruel but this could have been avoided if they had stayed within their training. I was a PADI Instructor for many years on Guam and I assisted in a couple of searches. Almost all dive related accidents are the result of Diver error.
Please let this be a wake up call for those of you who dive and those who wish to learn. You have 2 gauges, 1 for air and 1 for depth. Keep looking at them and know your limits.
At least they found the body.
It could have been much worse.
I assisted on a search for one guy who went out alone at night 2 weeks after getting certified. We never found him.
My thoughts a prayers go out to the family.
Be safe.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
lamb

Very sad indeed. Condolences to family.

It's another sober reminder on importance of knowing the game, respecting the nature and knowing your own limits.

For many new folks getting into kayak fishing - don't get too excited and skip the safety basics. Learn more than you'll ever need. Great article by Chris http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...fishing-safety
Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
THEDanHernandez
Junior

very sad. saw them looking for him as we paddled in on Saturday. heard the news Saturday night