Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
yani

What did you Experience at the Moyer?

Black Cloud asked this question on Sammons
Kayak4Fish board. Here's what I saw, how
about you??

"Ok, here's what I saw and experienced. Breakfast burritos
by Andy and Tarvis (ChefT). Great seeing Andy, great meeting
ChefT. And, all those other old friends I saw I say this, let's
bass fish in Dana!! Oh, I saw Maggie too. Ok, here's goes.

Conditions: Moderate SW wind all day. Water temp. 62-64F.
Green water at the reserve buoys. Clear water outside at
the bull kelp. Cloudy 3/4's of the day. No bird activity
until the sun came out, then it was at a minimal. Current
was also SW, with the wind.

Fishing: Off the bat, Tom, on a long hobie, is in the water
getting back in his kayak with a yellowtail in his hand.
He was located at the kelp's edge, 1/3 mile past the reserve
buoys.

According to Adi, during Tom's yellowtail battle, a seal grabbed
his yellow and pulled Tom in as well. I'm not sure if Tom's
yellow won the Dash for Cash.

Although, Adi, me and Jasmin were to fish together, Adi got
diverted by a very freindly seal. Didn't see him the rest of
the day. But I fished with Jasmin all day.
Jasmin is a low tech, simple fisherman. But very cunning.

We looked for any signs of yellows all day. On the outside,
just beyond the bull kelp, Jasmin nails his first yellow on a fly line bait.
But no follow-up activity.

Not happy with his less than 20lber, Jasmin is convinced there's bigger yellows around. He's hopeful, with the sun, the yellows will appear. We fusted around on the outside for 2 hrs. Then, with only 2hrs left, we decided to find some halibuts just in front of the Condo. Half way thru our paddle back, we find ourselves at Pat's Place at 100'
(the SW currentwas strong).

Jasmin keys in on circling seagulls. I see Kevin, the Kid, with Jig Stick
in hand--peddling his ass off towards those birds. There's also a hand
full of kayakers keying in on the same area. No signs of boils,
but, I knew something was up. Jasmin reaches for his jig stick, I get
mine out.

The birds break into two groups. Jasmin pitches under one group.I pitch two seconds behind him, inches away.

Four kayakers hook up, including Jasmin. And, me, well someone's got
to tell the story, right? Jasmin pulls up what looks like a 30lber in a matter of minutes.

The school blew thru lick-itty-split. The ones who didn't hook up
were left praying for one more chance. While praying, we
wandered around like homeless protons after a nuclear explosion.
We got nothing but a "wish sandwich".

I guess Jasmin won. I couldn't make the BBQ since my sciatic nerve
down my right leg was on fire.

That's all I know. Big warm thanks to Jim and Matt. Thanks for
a great contest and good time. You guys are the best in my book.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

I experienced heartache and frustration. Losing what you know is the winning fish at color really can gaff a man in the heart . It was really fun meeting all the salts in the dark and the best breakfast this college kid has seen in a while. A lot of mistakes, but lessons learned, as always on the water. Congrats to Jasmin who put on a show for us swearing at our fellows below the surface. A fantastic tourney indeed, but next year a keg is a must (possibly a Ballast Point contribution). Nice to meet everyone and I will be back next year for another round.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
deepdvr

My first ever 6 mph kayak drag race with Sharon at 7:30AM.

I didn't want to get beat by her in yet another competition and after a couple hundred yards of stupidity, we decided to split the 'dash for the cash' earnings; TCS (Tom) had other thoughts on that one. We saw him on the beach speed-loading his yak to his car as we were going through the preserve. Our only hope was that he would get lost on his way to Kate Sessions.

Stoked Tom got the early bird money. Congrats to King Jasmin on the nice win! Cheers to all that got fish this year. Although she is my WCW nemesis, I was very happy for Sharon.............mainly because her fish was smaller than mine.

Sharon-----don't drink too many of those or I will beat you in the next race.

deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
YakMedic

My experience was great.

I picked up StinkyMatt on the way down. I had signed up to bring eggs for the breakfast and forgot to get them so after we loaded his gear I bought 5doz eggs via 7-11. Got on the fwy at 0240 with Matt saying it takes 2hrs to get to lj from his house that would put me 40min late for burritos and that was not going to happen. Arrived at the launch at 0407 (2hrs my ass), but I may have drove a little over the speed limit.

Met some real cool people at the breakfast. The guy cooking the chorizo was awesome but I didn't catch his name.

Lanched at greylight only to see a whole fleet of yaks already far past the kelp line going for yellows. I decided I would fish the kelp potholing looking for WSB only to have heartbreak about 3min into a fight. At landing I met up with a bunch of guys and StinkyMatt with a nice looking YT. We hauled ass to the park dropping Matt off 2min before the weigh in only to find out he was in 8th place.

The barbeque was cool meeting people from all over this sport including the guys that drove 500miles to make it. All day felt a sense of brootherhood on and off the water. Was a wonderful event and hopefully only more will come.

The decisions lie with the Moyer's and Im sure they will make the right decision for their family and the contest.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Great event! Thanks to the Moyer family, Jim and all involved!
I experienced catching my first shark but am not sure what kind it is.
Shark I'd??
Attached Images

tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
ericko

my 4 year old daughter told to say that is a BIG SHARK thats what kind it is ....just a little fyi from a 4 year old LOL
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
TCS

Better Lucky Than Good - Again

My son had a water polo game at 10 pm on Friday so I ended up going to bed late with what seemed like a pretty good breeze going. Thought the weather might be up in the morning. Decided to take it easy in the morning, got up at 5:30, launched at about 6:15. Got a handfull of half dead sardines from the bait boat. Decided to make macs. Did that and put one out on 30lb with a 1.0 hook.

15 minutes later the mack got slammed, I waited for the fish to slow for a moment and dropped it in gear. It was just a little dude at 19 lbs, but even the little ones put up a great fight. I had the drag on the light side cause I was so worried about losing the fish. I landed it and asked D50 if he had seen any other fish go by. Nope. (The guy who got attached by a dog was someone else.)

So the dash was on! I was a little ways past the condo and just started peddaling as fast as I could. The adventure goes well, but it is still a lot of work to go fast. By the time I got to the launch I was seriously feeling the burn. Looked over my shoulder, nobody there. Ran to get the car. Not much of a runner, so that hurt.

Got back to the launch to see a couple of kayaks coming through the reserve, but decided I had time to load up the gear and go before they hit the beach.

Eric and Sharon made it to Kate Sessions about 10 minutes after me without their kayaks.

I really felt like this was my lucky day. I had low expectations to start out, but it turned out just awesome and I felt very fortunate.

I bought about 80 raffle tickets, and felt pretty good about myself for that till Eric (dpdivr) gave ALL his winnings back to the cause, at which point I felt a little cheap. VERY classy Eric.

Won a fishdope subscription and gave it to someone who I thought might find it more useful than I would and who's helped me a lot out in the water.

Great day, hope we do it all again next year. Thanks Matt, for reminding us what is important and enabling a sense of community develop.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Won a fishdope subscription and gave it to someone who I thought might find it more useful than I would and who's helped me a lot out in the water.
Thanks again for the dope sub Tom! Time to get some tuna out of the intel.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Salty Dog
loves bacon

Good Times!

The bomb breakfast burrito made me want to take a nap. Thanks, Andy and company!

YakMedic, that was me, cooking up that chorizo with chopsticks

The sabiki I was using would only catch perch. Accepted greenbacks from a total stranger. Thanks, Adi!

In the wrong place at the right time the whole day. But I don't mind cause I met a bunch of great people.

I agree with The Kid. Only thing that really was missing was the keg of beer.

Another round of Buds, please

Thanks, Matt, Jim, and everyone that made this shin dig super cool.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
The bomb breakfast burrito made me want to take a nap. Thanks, Andy and company!

YakMedic, that was me, cooking up that chorizo with chopsticks

The sabiki I was using would only catch perch. Accepted greenbacks from a total stranger. Thanks, Adi!

In the wrong place at the right time the whole day. But I don't mind cause I met a bunch of great people.

I agree with The Kid. Only thing that really was missing was the keg of beer.

Another round of Buds, please

Thanks, Matt, Jim, and everyone that made this shin dig super cool.
Thats funny man, all morning you were talking about how you cant live without bacon. You have it written right under your name. Cool meeting you, hope to see you on the water.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
John M

My day was very memorable.
I caught a bunch of greenies and stated trolling.
Made my way out to the NW corner, hooked and landed a YT. Could feel the kelp popping as my spectra cut through it.
Had fish in my lap and secured with my stringer.
Cleaned up the deck and proceded to put fish in tank well.
I turned sideways on yak with my feet in water, grabbed fish and dipped it into the water as I got set to put in back.
Just then something grabs and pulls fish and me into the water. Yak is flipped. I try to right yak but can't pull it back over because something is pulling down on the fish tied to the otherside of the yak. At this point I decide it is time to get out of the water since I still have not seen what is pulling on the fish( taxman, Seal,???). Crawl on top of upside down yak.
Adi and Iceman show up and help me figure out what is going on.
See that it is a large Knothead Sealion so I got into water and right yak.
Seal is still pulling on fish but lets go so I am able to pull YT back on board.
All equip except dykes and a bait knife are leashed so did not lose anything.
Spent about 15 min to get all the equip back in the right place.
Knothead hung around for about 10 mins looking for a free meal. But no way that was my fish!!
My shirt and pants in waders were wet but had so much adrenaline was not cold.
Continued to fish till about 10:00. Got too cold so headed to shore and dry clothes.
Went to park and the YT came out to 23.69 lbs.
Missed 2nd(23.9).
Ended 3rd place with a great looking beer stein and $350.00 cash.
During the awards when I was up getting the stein & $'s from Matt, Adi starts yelling "Flipper, Flipper", hope that name doesn't stick.

Food was great and ceviche off the hook. Thanks to Coco's for the pies, they were great too.

Thanks to all the Moyers(The whole family was there helping out) & Jim for another great event. Hope it will return for many more years.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
"Flipper, Flipper", hope that name doesn't stick

Its better than John M!
ROFL

Congrats on an excellent adventure catch and 3rd place is better than 103rd! Congrats

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
TCS

John, I suggest you take that name and wear it like a badge of honor!

If it had ended in a lost fish, or lost gear, or some other bad outcome it would be different.

Going though that, without losing all your gear and beating the dog in the process shows that you had your s**t toghther and leashed. Kept on fishing? Cool!

Whether you take on the name is up to you, but I hope your BWE handle will change soon!

Good job!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
My day was very memorable.
I caught a bunch of greenies and stated trolling.
Made my way out to the NW corner, hooked and landed a YT. Could feel the kelp popping as my spectra cut through it.
Had fish in my lap and secured with my stringer.
Cleaned up the deck and proceded to put fish in tank well.
I turned sideways on yak with my feet in water, grabbed fish and dipped it into the water as I got set to put in back.
Just then something grabs and pulls fish and me into the water. Yak is flipped. I try to right yak but can't pull it back over because something is pulling down on the fish tied to the otherside of the yak. At this point I decide it is time to get out of the water since I still have not seen what is pulling on the fish( taxman, Seal,???). Crawl on top of upside down yak.
Adi and Iceman show up and help me figure out what is going on.
See that it is a large Knothead Sealion so I got into water and right yak.
Seal is still pulling on fish but lets go so I am able to pull YT back on board.
All equip except dykes and a bait knife are leashed so did not lose anything.
Spent about 15 min to get all the equip back in the right place.
Knothead hung around for about 10 mins looking for a free meal. But no way that was my fish!!
My shirt and pants in waders were wet but had so much adrenaline was not cold.
Continued to fish till about 10:00. Got too cold so headed to shore and dry clothes.
Went to park and the YT came out to 23.69 lbs.
Missed 2nd(23.9).
Ended 3rd place with a great looking beer stein and $350.00 cash.
During the awards when I was up getting the stein & $'s from Matt, Adi starts yelling "Flipper, Flipper", hope that name doesn't stick.

Food was great and ceviche off the hook. Thanks to Coco's for the pies, they were great too.

Thanks to all the Moyers(The whole family was there helping out) & Jim for another great event. Hope it will return for many more years.

John
Awesome job flipper
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
yani

John, I thought that was you, but, someone
told me "no, that was Tom."

I know Adi has a thick accent, but, I'll never
listen to him again. Especially since he spent
the rest of the day getting to know that seal.

Congrats on the fish!!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Chuck D

Had a blast!

This would be my second year fishing in the Moyer tournament. I absolutely love the cause that it supports as well as being out in La Jolla with a hundred fellow kayak fisherman. My day started with a very long paddle out. While everyone decided to stick close to shore I just went out as far as I could. For the life of me I couldn't find a bait all day so with desperate measures in place I used some old squid I brought out and eventually a Rapala (which I never use unless it a dire circumstance). I ended up catching myself a barely legal bass and kept it, thinking that it could be the winning fish if no one else catching caught a fish that day, lol, wishful thinking. It was cold, cloudy and I was starting to feel that it was time to call it quits. Off in the distance was one clearing in the clouds and a patch of blue sky. I decided this would be my last hope, at least I could warm up for a bit before giving in. Off I paddled to a depth of 140feet at 11am. I sat for bout 10 minutes when literally out of nowhere an eruption of over 100 yellowtail blew up all around my kayak. I have never seen them come out of the water like this I almost had 2 or 3 three literally jump into the kayak. Frantically I grab the jig stick and launch a perfect shot. If the middle of the eruption I got a taker within about .2 seconds, he was mine. Great fight, lasted about 15-20 min. Got this guy in the kayak with the jig barely hanging on to the lip of this beauty. What a day! Ended up with a 4th place finish! The YT weighted in at the tourney at 21.93, however at my house it weighed in at 24.5 so I am not sure how this came to be, at least everyone used the same scale at the tourney so everyone must of had the same skewed numbers. Either way thank you so much for holding this very special event! Jim if you ever are considering holding this event again put me on the list to help out wherever I can. I am a teacher and feel that our young generation of people need events like this to gain interest in the sport, learn to protect our ocean environment and help out others in need! Thanks for another wonderful year!
IRONS ALL THE WAY! TIGHT LINES!
Attached Images

Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
sharonkayak

My day started off not prepared. slept thru alarm, no rods ready to be fished with. got doused with water on way out.. soaking wet with just a sweatshirt to change into. left my waders in the truck I wasnt going to get a late start...

thank you guys for doing breakfast!!
whizz bang that stuff your wife made was awesome!

I just paddled out past most people to my secret way point.
got my secret way point fish and thought I might be the 1st to land one.

start peddling and paddling and ask fellow yaker if hes seen anything caught. well he tells me to turn around and of course its Eric. (deepdiver) right behind me with a grin on his face.

Well we know how that story ends.. congrats Tom...

and jasmin for 1st place...

and thank you deepdiver for that great shot of me chillaxing with my 5th place victory beer!

Great contest. So fun to be around fellow yakers. what a great community we have!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I bought about 80 raffle tickets, and felt pretty good about myself for that till Eric (dpdivr) gave ALL his winnings back to the cause, at which point I felt a little cheap. VERY classy Eric.
Yes Tom -

I saw that subtile move by Eric, he did it on the down low - in a very casual way. That says a lot about a man.

Nice

---------------------------------------------------
Once again The Moyer Family did an outstanding job and Steve would be proud.
I wouldn't miss this event for the world -

There aren't too many communities with such giving, unselfish, high quality people.

Thanks Again
Billy V
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
dorado50

That was awesome of Eric to give back!! Wavster Dave won a kayak and also gave it back. Matt auctioned it off for $450 to the cause....you guys you you you
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
wandered around like homeless protons after a nuclear explosion.

It sux to be in the middle of the bite and not get any love from the situation.

How did my day go?

Loved it. Didn't see any fish caught, but I saw a lot of fresh fish, all green flapping on decks.

I was bummed when the wind kicked up the afternoon before, and blew throughout the night. I was sure we were going to see much worse conditions. I was stoked when I rfealised I was wrong - it was descent out there! The surf was a cake, nice conditions to fish. The wind just kicked up as the real action started.

And c'mon Yani, stop spreading disinformation.

The guy on the yellow kayak was John, not Tom. I'm glad John chipped in and set the record straight. The seal didn't pick up the yellowtail he was fighting. YT was landed, done and over with; game over. It was safely secured with game clip and hooked up to his kayak. No user errors, all tight. John is experienced kayak fisherman. He just had the tail sticking little overboard on his side, next to his butt. I didn't see it happen, but it must have been quick - one moment I see him sitting, all cool. Next thing, he's in the water.

Andy and I were the closest. We starting charging his way to give him a hand. We're trying to figure out what's going on. As I see John somewhat urgently trying to get back up on the back of his flipped kayak, not trying to flip it back up...

...I'm thinking,
you know what I'm thinking.

I pull right on the side of his flipped kayak, and I see a healthy young seal down below 3 ft wanting to tug on his hanging yellowtail. Relief! About 4 rods, all dangling down below the kayak, nicely leashed. I think the dog was intimidated with those sticks around the fish. t pulled my gaff, but I only had a short 2 fter - I couldn't reach down below to hit the fish. I finally manage to stick the fish almost in the lip. Pulled up the fish, then rods, kayak back up, John is back in biz. Sweet!

So I guess I get to gaff a fish, but couldn't catch one.

On my way back in, Gabe paddles up behind me with a green YT flapping... WTH, I don't know where I've been.

As far as Jasmin... Hail the king! NICE JOB!

It is no accident - Jasmin has always been a mighty fishy force on the water. He knows what he's doing, he's been fishing LJ for a long time. He is out there often enough to be in tune with the LJ pulse. I am stoked that he got to put Moyer Tourney win under his belt - very cool!!!

Thanks Matt, Jim and their families for all your work.
Thanks to the crew on bait boats, thanks to sponsors,
thanks to everyone who has helped with this year's tournament.
Thanks to all who came to support the event. I sure hope this won't be the last one. I was stoked to see so many new faces.

Eric, you're a class act - way to go with letting your tourney winning $$ go in to help the cause. You're setting a great example.

Congrats to all who scored this year
Hopefully, the rest of us get a chance September next year.

Here's some pics I took:
>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>
>>