Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
TOTKID760
Junior

NEED HELP W/ HOOPIN INFO

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M DOING WRONG. IM USING SALMON HEADS, MACKEREL, CUT UP ANCHOVS AND I JUST CANT GET A DAMN BUG. IM USING A HOOP NET I BOUGHT FROM TURNERS UP HERE IN NORTH COUNTY AND IT HAS THE POCKET IN THE BOTTEM OF IT. AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT THE THE BAIT IN THE POCKET OR TIE IT DOWN ON TOP OF THE POCKET? ALSO HOW LONG DO I LET IT SOKE? ANOTHER QUESTION I HAVE IS WHAT KIND OF BOTTOM STRUCTURE DO I LOOK FOR HARD/SOFT ROCKIE ECT. I ALSO WANT TO MENTION THAT IM HOOPIN AT NIGHT IN THE OSIDE HARBOR ON MY KAYAK AND IM WATCHING BOATERS BRING THEM IN BUT I JUST CANT GET THEM TO GO. ANY HELP/INFO WOULD BE GREAT.
TOTKID760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Your bait is the right stuff and you put the bait inside the pocket on the bottom of your nets and make sure you close up the pocket, but most guys go with the bait cages and zip tie them down and really stuff the bait in there. Set your hoops just before sunset and let your hoops soak for about 30 minutes max and then put them and try to pull them straight up and not at an angle. Try to set your hoops about 10 to 15 feet off some sort of bottom structure and not on the structure. Also try the sandy bottoms next to structure. Just my .02. I hope this helps some.

Ken
zinkysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Some sound advice in the last post, but there is a lot of information about Hoop Netting. Try to read Jim Salazar's book on lobster fishing, It is a quick, information stuffed, easy read, for those of us that would rather be fishing than reading. I know OEX has it and you may be able to find it elsewhere, but he has some really good information in there. I have limited every night but one since the start of the season using Jim's advice and techniques. Zinkysd covered some of the basics, bait presentation, the initial set up and pull, location, etc. but there is just so much information. Jim Salazar also does seminars. I don't know for sure when the next one is, but go to one if you can. If not, let me know, and you can come out with me some time and I'll share what works for me. (No secret spots of course!)

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
mc08066

Hooping

I would also invest in at least two more nets. Use your FF to find structure and have nets just off of it. Pick up Jim Salazar's book, if you
can go on one of his outing usually San Pedro you will learn all you need. If not, try to attend one of his seminars. I had good knowledge/experience until I went to his seminar several years ago and all I can say is I did not know crap. Alot of good information has been shared here and in past threads. You might want to go back to last years threads for even more information. Look in October 07 and 06.
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote