Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
tomahawk

Stealth 12 drain plug repair questions

The threads where the drain plug screws in on the kayak are sort of mangled. It make re-installing the plug very difficult. It always wants to start to cross threaded.
I mentioned it to Milo at MK when I picked up the seat re-inforcement and he offered to have the tap ran through it. My initial thought is that this would not solve the problem becuse when you damage threads it typically removes material.
Has anyone done any type of repair on a drain plug or scupper plug? I was also wondering if anyone has tried a compression plug like the plugs used on a boat? I know the seal method different, The current plug uses a face compression seal method while the compression plug seals by expanding to fill the hole.
Thanks for any ideas.
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
JarrodMc

I would be comfortable just retapping it and coating the threads with goop before you screw it home. It should hold
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Woodie044

Attwood snap handle drain plug. 3 dollars at walmart. Problem solved. No tapping necessary.

Last edited by Woodie044; 03-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Woodie044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
tomahawk

thanks for the replies.
JarrodMC I hoping to keep the plug removable. The goop would make it permanent, no?
Woodie044 that was what was in my original post. I wanted to know if anyone had tried it. The drain plug is made to seal a smooth bore hole not a threaded hole (even if the threads are mangled).
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Woodie044

I had a stealth 9 awhile back, but my plug didnt come with the red gasket. So i bought the attwood plug to replace it and it worked great.
Woodie044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
tomahawk

excellent. Heading walmart.