Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #21
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi-shing View Post
In the future, I will never launch and kayak fish alone ever again like I normally do.
.... pulls mustache, .... ponders ....

Best wishes to the victim of the accident and to everyone else involved.

[with a heavy heart]
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #22
goldenglory18

I've been VERY hesitant to fish outside of the harbor walls by myself. Stopped myself more than a few times because something "just didnt seem right."

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. Kudos for doing the right thing and sticking around to help...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
HELLSTER INC.

Any updates on his condition?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #24
Semper Fi-shing

I called scripps memorial hospital and left a message requesting an update on the status of him but no one has gotten back to me.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
Semper Fi-shing

I was able to reach I.C.U......the nurse could not disclose information on his status to non family members
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
Davesdad
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi-shing View Post
What can I say, I'm still a little shocked.

The morning started out as any other with the exception of big breakers and swells.
Parked next to the same guy I see there almost every saturday.......skinny guy with an older beige or white Toyota pickup truck, green outback.

Me, green outback, and another guy whom I just met started our launch together at a little past 6am. Green outback powered thru the waves, no problem. I hopped onto my yak but was 3 or 4 minutes behind the green outback, getting pounded and thrown off my yak on the beach after my mirage drive bottomed on the sand and left me motionless.

Finally made it out to the vicinity of the green outback, which I saw briefly in the corner of my eyes. I didnt see the yakker on his yak, however, before I realized that something was wrong.

20 feet from his yak, I saw something floating in the water. As I pedaled closer, I realized it was the yakker's life jacket. I went into panic mode and rushed over to pick up the jacket, only to realize that the yakker was still in it, face in the water, hands dangling and motionless.

I yelled as loud as I could "911, man overboard" over towards the beach but with the waves breaking so loudly, I couldnt tell if anyone along the beach heard me. I kept yelling as loudly as I could over and over.

The other yakker whom I just met earlier came up to me and helped me get his lifeless body onto my yak. I ripped the unconscious yakkers' eyeglass strap inadvertently and almost flipped in the process.

We finally got his body onto my yak and another yakker met up with us and called 911.

The yakker started to foam heavily at the mouth and his fingers were already turning dark purple.Lifeguards responded immediately and got his body onto their surfboard within 10 of call and paddled him back to shore where emt performed emergency procedures to shock him and try to revive him

The yakker must have been unconscious for a good 30 minutes before they finally took him to the hospital.

All of us yakkers were wading in the water afterwards trying to find the daiwa lexa 300 reel and yellow rod that was lost when the yakker who was towing the victims green outback coming in flipped.

After 30 minutes of wading around in the water, something bumped my thigh. I picked it up......it was the victims glasses. I dont know what to think of that.

BTW if someone finds the rod and reel, please let me know so I can return it to its rightful owner and also any updates on the status of the green yakker.

My biggest regret is that all the time I see this person, I just mainly went about my own business, didnt talk to him much, and never even asked his name.

In the future, I will never launch and kayak fish alone ever again like I normally do.
And as a note, just because u make it thru the surf doesnt mean everything is clear.

I still cant comprehend how he ended up in the water. Only to speculate that he somehow fell off his yak, hit his head on his yak, and knocked himself unconscious. Or maybe had a seizure.

I thank all the yakkers that helped me thru this ordeal and hope no one has to go thru the same thing I went thru today.
Hello,my name is John.I'm Dave's father.Unfortunately he's most likely not going to survive this tragedy.Right now we're waiting on one last test to determine brain death.All tests have already indicated he's no longer with us but for peace of mind we asked for one more test.We're not exactly sure what happened yet but we do know he may have had a heart defect that caused him to pass out.This was discovered while he was in ICU on life support.Dave has been fishing since he was old enough to hold a fishing pole,about 2 years old.He's always been one lucky (and very skilled) fisherman.Always able to adapt and catch something no matter where we were.From Carp to Tuna he caught it and always enjoyed it.I'm a very proud Dad and also very sad at this time.I'm here to tell those that helped how much i appreciate their efforts to save his life ! i just don't know how to say thank you enough,you guys did your best.I would also like to help out the guy that lost his rod and reel if i could.I thought i'd post this tonight just to get you guys some answers.I'm very tired and upset because of these last couple of days.I'll check in tomorrow some time if i'm able to.I have a very difficult decision to make at the hospital but will try and get back here.Thanks,John
Davesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #27
swinginFish

Deep Sorrow

Was a time when the kayak fishing community was smaller and tighter, but a tragedy such as this brings out our collective sadness and shared feelings of sorrow. Kind of you, John, to take a moment to let us know the unfortunate status of your son, Dave, and deep sympathy as you face an extremely hard decision. While several of the kayak-fishing community were there to try and save your son, we are all there to share your grief. Blessing to you sir in this most difficult time.

Avery Ellisman
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #28
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Well put Avery!

Last edited by katchfish; 09-18-2018 at 03:32 AM.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #29
kpasadr
Junior

So sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesdad View Post
Hello,my name is John.I'm Dave's father.Unfortunately he's most likely not going to survive this tragedy.Right now we're waiting on one last test to determine brain death.All tests have already indicated he's no longer with us but for peace of mind we asked for one more test.We're not exactly sure what happened yet but we do know he may have had a heart defect that caused him to pass out.This was discovered while he was in ICU on life support.Dave has been fishing since he was old enough to hold a fishing pole,about 2 years old.He's always been one lucky (and very skilled) fisherman.Always able to adapt and catch something no matter where we were.From Carp to Tuna he caught it and always enjoyed it.I'm a very proud Dad and also very sad at this time.I'm here to tell those that helped how much i appreciate their efforts to save his life ! i just don't know how to say thank you enough,you guys did your best.I would also like to help out the guy that lost his rod and reel if i could.I thought i'd post this tonight just to get you guys some answers.I'm very tired and upset because of these last couple of days.I'll check in tomorrow some time if i'm able to.I have a very difficult decision to make at the hospital but will try and get back here.Thanks,John
Sir, I am so sorry about your son. I can't even imagine how hard this must be. It speaks volumes about your character and likely that of your son's that you would take the time to share this information and offer to help with other's material losses at a time like this.

If it at all helps, I am a pediatric ICU doctor and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about congenital heart disease, brain death or anything else as you have to make choices no father ever should. Feel free to send a PM or I can give you a call.
kpasadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #30
seck66
Junior

Quote:
Hello,my name is John.I'm Dave's father.Unfortunately he's most likely not going to survive this tragedy...
John,

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how I could have the composure and kindness you've expressed here. Dave, you and your family are in my prayers.

To those who assisted Dave, bless you. I'm a relative newbie to this group and I'm continually amazed at how helpful and friendly this community is. I'm not surprised to hear how many folks pitched in to try to help Dave.

The care and concern expressed over Dave and his condition is the only silver lining in this tragic loss.

-Paul
seck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #31
Davesdad
Junior

Thank you guys for the kind words.Does anybody know the guy that lost his rod and reel ? My hope is to be at the shores early Saturday to find those that helped and personally thank them.I will confirm that later this week after i take care of Dave and get this situation a little bit more behind me.It's tough i'm sure you can imagine.Just a little note about Dave,he was kind of shy and not real open around those he didn't know.His best buddy Levi was his usual fishing partner on Sundays.The two were sort of competitive but always helped each other with finding bait or tackle needs and even chasing down fish.I'll check back later.Thanks.
Davesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #32
Natural_one
Junior

John,

Thank you for taking the time to update everyone. I can't begin to understand what you and your family are going through, but it's evident Dave is a great kid raised by a kind and generous father. Lean on this community for anything you feel we could do. Praying for wisdom and peace over your family through the these next days as you make decisions. -Tyler
Natural_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #33
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Hello,my name is John. I'm Dave's father.

I am so, so sad to read about Dave's tragic misfortune while kayaking on the beautiful ocean in La Jolla, doing what he loves. I can not begin to imagine the amount pain and emotional suffering you and your family are going through now. Tears are flowing down both cheeks.

With very deepest sympathy,

Stan Schutze
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #34
FISH11

Extremely Sorry

I, like a lot of the members of the local kayak fishing community want to pass on our deeply felt condolences to you John and your family. I can' imagine what it's like for you to have taken the time to inform us. I want to thank you because, I know there a lot of members here that needed to know how Dave was doing. I can only relate that when my time comes, I hope to be doing one of my favorite enjoyments and Kayak fishing in La Jolla is #1 on my list. Thank You John and GOD bless Dave.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #35
sharonkayak

I am so saddened to read all of this. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family. Impossible to read this without a dry eye.
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #36
Iceman
Administrator

John, my deepest sympathy on your shouldering this father's decision that no father should have to endure. Prayers for you, David and all who love him. We kayak fishermen are all part of the same family, please do not be afraid to ask us of anything at all on David's behalf.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

wow... I hope he makes it. Very unfortunate situation. I hope you heal from this experience too!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #38
kayakfisherman

I'm just in tears...
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #39
rhyak

Wow, cant imagine what you are going through as a father right now, and sad do hear about the news of Dave.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #40
landwhale

i am so filled with sadness I don't know what to say.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote