Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
johnnyblaze2009

Transducer mount on Hobie PA

I have an Elite 5 HDI with the larger 50/200 Transducer. I noticed today that if I was to install it in the Lowrance ready spot underneath the kayak it is too large. Has anybody modified the transducer to fit in that spot? If I modify the transducer and install it with the bottom cover, will I take away from the signal/sonar? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze2009 View Post
I have an Elite 5 HDI with the larger 50/200 Transducer. I noticed today that if I was to install it in the Lowrance ready spot underneath the kayak it is too large. Has anybody modified the transducer to fit in that spot? If I modify the transducer and install it with the bottom cover, will I take away from the signal/sonar? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mine went in with no issues.

can you post some pics?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze2009 View Post

I have the same unit, same transducer, and same kayak. Took a sawzall to cut off the top 1/2 where the mounting hole is. And fits like a glove. It has no affect on the signal. Wish I had pictures but I'm not currently at home. 10 second fix though
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
johnnyblaze2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I have the same unit, same transducer, and same kayak. Took a sawzall to cut off the top 1/2 where the mounting hole is. And fits like a glove. It has no affect on the signal. Wish I had pictures but I'm not currently at home. 10 second fix though

Did you use any silicon to keep it tight on that cover plate? I had cut that transducer mount hole off as well. It fit underneath fine.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
johnnyblaze2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

can you post some pics?

I think you have a the 83/200 transducer

Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
johnnyblaze2009

I was thinking about making another mounting hole but was wondering if I should put some silicon to keep it snug. Also I think I seen somewhere where one cut out the cover plate so the transducer wasn't blocked...

Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Ya the 50/200 needs modification, and I'm 100% on that. And no, no silicone just start with short cuts and take off more if you need to. But start small. Much easier to cut again than buy a new ducer

Old 05-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

can you post some pics?

The 50/200 hdi ducer will not fit without mods. You probably have hds.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Standard 50/200 ok. Hdi 50/200 needs modification
Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
jorluivil

Eye Sea

Old 05-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Eye Sea

Eye sea says the blind man to the deaf dog.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
momo fish

Not to threat jack, but will do so quietly. Is there really a difference between 50/200 and 83/200 ? I called lowrance but they seemed iffy
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
TJones

Nobody likes the 83 kHz

Does the bay cover affect the down imaging signal ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
TJones

I have 83 / 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Not to threat jack, but will do so quietly. Is there really a difference between 50/200 and 83/200 ? I called lowrance but they seemed iffy
The 83 has a wider beam . Less penetration at greater depths , like over a thousand feet.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Does the bay cover affect the down imaging signal ?

No I have a great picture on 455 and 800 downscan

Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
The 83 has a wider beam . Less penetration at greater depths , like over a thousand feet.
More like 100'

Old 05-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
momo fish

Transducer mount on Hobie PA

So if most of us fish under 300 feet isn't the 50 better as it will pick up more or does it not matter as it's not that big a difference ? I'm about to buy one and only reason I have not is deciding on transducer
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

50 is better for deeper water. If fishing saltwater id opt for the 50. If you're going to fish lakes then the 83 would be more suitable.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
jorluivil

Google is your friend

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Learni...asics/Details/

The Transducer:

1) Selecting a fishfinder with the proper frequency, or frequencies, for the specific water conditions where the sonar will be used is one of the most important factors in sonar performance.

Frequency is a measure of how many sonar pulses or signals that the fishfinder sends into the water each second.
i. The higher the frequency (more pulses per second) the higher the detail (target resolution) of the sonar returns.

ii. The lower the frequency (fewer pulses per second) the better the signal can penetrate into the water allowing for use in deeper water.

iii. Graphic of frequency (waves intersecting objects)?

The unit used to define frequency is called a Hertz (Hz).
1Hz = 1 pulse or cycle per second
ii. Marine sonar units use thousands of pulses per second to send the sonar signal.

The scientific symbol for a thousand is derived from the Greek word for thousand, kilo (k).
iii. 1000 cycles per second = 1 kilohertz (1 kHz)

Our fishfinder units operate on any one, or a combination of two, of the following common frequencies:
i. 50 kHz = 50,000 cycles per second

Use: Coastal/Offshore/Deep water use
Pro: Good deep water signal penetration. 50 kHz will penetrate depths greater than 600ft. 50 kHz also gives a wider coverage of the bottom than higher frequencies do.
Con: Not as useful in shallow water due to the lower target resolution when compared with higher frequencies.
ii. 83 kHz = 83,000 cycles per second

Use: Inland/Near Coastal
Pro: Great for shallow to medium depth waters, this frequency is a good compromise between 50 kHz and 200 kHz. Gives a wider cone angle in shallow water for allowing for quicker searches for fish or structure.
Con: 83 kHz does not have the depth capabilities of 50 kHz or the target resolution of 200 kHz.
iii. 200 kHz = 200,000 cycles per second

Use: Inland/Near Coastal
Pro: Great signal resolution makes for easier target separation of bottom structure and fish arches in shallow water.
Con: High frequency that limits the depth range, narrower cone angles (compared to 83 kHz) limit the amount of bottom area searched.
2) Cone angle

Cone angle is the beam angle emitted by the transducer.
i. Image (Use the on the website)

ii. A transducer with a larger cone angle will give a larger search area at the expense of deep water penetration and target resolution, whereas a transducer with a smaller cone angle will give higher target resolution and greater depth penetration.

3) Mounting location/Transducer types

Skimmer™ (Transom Mount): Skimmer transducers are the most common type of transducer used on inland fishing boats and runabouts.
i. Navico offers two versions of skimmer transducers:

50/200 kHz
200 kHz (can be used for 83/200 kHz when used with certain fishfinders).
Picture of install
ii. Pro: Easy to install, good performance for their size. Maintains sonar lock at high boat speeds.

iii. Con: Cannot penetrate deeper waters like larger Thru-Hull transducers can due to their limited element size. Transducer can get damaged from striking objects in the water.

In-Hull/Trolling motor: The other main type of transducer that Navico makes is the puck or pod style transducer that is designed to be mounted in one of two ways:
i. Epoxied inside the hull of the boat:

Picture of install
Pro: There is no need to cut or drill holes in the hull of the vessel to use this method. Less risk of damaging the transducer by impacting items in the water.
Con: This mounting method only works on solid fiberglass hulls. Cannot penetrate deeper waters like larger Thru-Hull transducers can due to their limited element size.
ii. Mounted to the bottom of a trolling motor.

Picture of install
Pro: Allows for the user to see sonar returns closer to where they are fishing.
Con: Risk of damaging the transducer when operating the trolling motor in shallow waters. Can only be used when the trolling motor is deployed into the water.
Thru-Hull: Larger transducers, with larger elements and power capacities, mainly used in coastal/offshore applications. Transducers can be made of plastic or bronze, and are bolted through the hull on a threaded stem.
i. Picture of install

ii. Pro: Great depth capability and target separation compared to other transducer options. Greater range of mounting locations to fit the specific vessel.

iii. Con: Cost more than the other options. Requires a hole to be drilled into the bottom of the boat.