Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
KamWalsh14
Junior

First Year Kayak Fishing SD

Hello all, I moved to SD a few years ago and started fishing LJ from a yak a little over a year ago. I've been a lurker on this forum for awhile but figured I'd post some fish pics from the past year. I started off mostly targeting sheephead and bass but switched focus to YT late in the summer (I had sporadically put in a bunch of tries throughout the early summer but when I became the only guy in my group chat of yak fishing buddies who still hadn't gotten one it definitely fueled the fire!). I also put a good amount of time into bay fishing for bass, halibut, bonefish, and corvina. My tentative goals for next year are to run into a big yellow, a big halibut, and/or a legal ghost. Getting bonefish dialed in on artificials would be fun too. Hope to run into some of you on the water this next year.

Also, I gotta ask because I'm a newcomer without any reference of the fishery prior to this year. After reading through a lot of the old posts on this site, was LJ really that much better "back in the day" or are guys just a lot more tight lipped when it bites nowadays? I was lucky enough to be out there a couple days this year where the yellows were down (and missed out on quite a few more days like that) but it seemed pretty tough overall, not just for me but for the majority of other guys I'd see on the water and talk to back at the launch.
Attached Images

Last edited by KamWalsh14; 12-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.
KamWalsh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
fishnfoool

Guys are just tight lipped around here. They don't want too many people out there when the hot bite is going on. They don't even like it when someone else is sharing the hot bite.
Nice halibut in the dark!
Only cool people share the hot bite!
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamWalsh14 View Post

Also, I gotta ask because I'm a newcomer without any reference of the fishery prior to this year. After reading through a lot of the old posts on this site, was LJ really that much better "back in the day" or are guys just a lot more tight lipped when it bites nowadays?
The short answer to your question, is YES TO BOTH! Although looking at your pictures , tells me you are doing just fine. The Yellowtail will come if you keep targeting them. Some guys have all the luck and get one their first trip and other have been trying for 6+ years and still not landed one (so they told me). The guy who got one on the first trip might as well quit now because it's all down hill from that day. That was all LUCK, unless he was out with a Professional Guide. The last 3 years have not been as productive as 2014-2017. But don't give up they are out there and some days a bunch will cruise by. Sometimes a boil will happen while being out there, or a flylined mac line starts screaming from the reel, while not seeing any good marks on the FF. I've been saying that these last 3 years, "it's been about being in the right place at the right time". #1 the couch at home, is not the right place! Tight Lines!
Old 12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
KamWalsh14
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
Guys are just tight lipped around here. They don't want too many people out there when the hot bite is going on. They don't even like it when someone else is sharing the hot bite.
Nice halibut in the dark!
Only cool people share the hot bite!
I feel that; I stopped paying attention to whether or not people were posting anything and just went. Getting bit on an uncrowded day you weren't expecting much out of is a way better feeling than getting skunked when it's packed on a "shoulda been here yesterday" kinda deal
Old 12-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
KamWalsh14
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The short answer to your question, is YES TO BOTH! Although looking at your pictures , tells me you are doing just fine. The Yellowtail will come if you keep targeting them. Some guys have all the luck and get one their first trip and other have been trying for 6+ years and still not landed one (so they told me). The guy who got one on the first trip might as well quit now because it's all down hill from that day. That was all LUCK, unless he was out with a Professional Guide. The last 3 years have not been as productive as 2014-2017. But don't give up they are out there and some days a bunch will cruise by. Sometimes a boil will happen while being out there, or a flylined mac line starts screaming from the reel, while not seeing any good marks on the FF. I've been saying that these last 3 years, "it's been about being in the right place at the right time". #1 the couch at home, is not the right place! Tight Lines!
6+ years?? Damn, and I thought I paid my dues.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
mrlar13
Junior

Looks like a great year to me. Congrats!!
mrlar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Oolie
Headshots Only

Luck has been a huge factor in my success. I think you had a banner year!

Keep putting your time in and the night game will develop for you.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
fishnfoool

I forgot. Went out 4 times this year and unfortunately was skunked all four times. I apologize for not reporting the skunks.
However , if I catch anything of note next year. I will start posting OTW reports.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Looks like you had some nice catches, Congrats! and welcome to posting on the forum.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
BenCantrell

You had a good year Kam, congrats!
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Nice catches! 2021 can only be better!
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote