Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
FISHIONADO

DFG sent me a letter and CD about MPA changes

Because I submitted comments a couple years ago during the MPA process. I need to review it but it includes two documents, 41 and 48 pages. Comments to these proposed changes need to be submitted by Oct 18th or in person in Monterey on the 19th. I'm swamped with family and business responsibilities, has anyone else reviewed the material to understand what the changes are?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
PAL

I have one too. The bottom line is we can all comment again about Southern California's planned MLPA closures.

Note the deadline - we have until Oct 18. Because we have a good amount of time, I'm going to use every bit of it to think about and prep the many comments (not just one - multiple) I'm going to send once I'm good and ready. Fish and Game Commission staff will have to read and consider every one. I wonder whether they'll make their tight deadline?

You'll probably be hearing more about this in the coming week. Like I said, I'm still digesting it. Personalized comments are the best. Sample letters should be available soon. http://keepamericafishing.org/ is a good place to check.

In the meantime, here are a few possible topics:

Maps, so you can write about the mess / injustice / safety issue / your term here that will be created in La Jolla, Laguna, Malibu's Pt Dume, and so on: http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=9...exclusive-maps

Corruption: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...highlight=mlpa

It's illegal: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...highlight=mlpa

Quote:
The MLPA process has been plagued by numerous issues which have not been resolved, including:

The lack of a transparent and open decision making process
Inadequate resources for enforcement and biological monitoring
A process that side-steps a science-based fisheries management approach that clearly identifies the threats to California ’s marine environment

Touted as “ecosystem protection,” the MLPA only targets recreational fishing and its significant economic contributions to California’s economy all the while ignoring the litany of significant threats to California’s oceans, such as sewage outfalls and storm water runoff, agricultural chemicals and other pollutants, ocean acidification, ocean side development and once-through cooling.

The Department of Fish and Game estimates that the MPA regulations will cost California ’s taxpayers $40 million annually for enforcement and biological monitoring – resources that the state simply does not have. With a current deficit of $26 billion, California cannot afford to adopt costly measures that will only work to limit recreational fishing access which provides employment for 20,000 Californians.

How You Can Help

Given the numerous serious concerns surrounding the process, please send a message to the California Fish and Game Commission urging them to suspend the South Coast MLPA implementation.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Same old bullshit...

Clay and I both rec'd this with $1.08 in postage...to the same address.

From the mouths of babes, 'I thought they didn't have any money?'

I don't think they were prepared for the onslaught we gave them. Obviously, they thought wrong.

DFG, are your puppets who read this board aware that there are bigger fish in the sea?

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Got this as well... Haven't had time to review I got a disk too.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
RK

If you received the letter or email this is the address to replay/mail to as they do not provide you with this info:

You may send your comments on the 15-day notice changes via e-mail to fgc@fgc.ca.gov or via fax to (916) 653-5040 or via postal mail to California Fish and Game Commission, 1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1320, Sacramento, CA 95814. Written comments must be received by 5:00 pm on October 18.

Sherrie Fonbuena was the lady whom addresses mine..
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Billy V

I didn't get one - ain't that a fkn surprise
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
PAL

^You may not get one, but that shouldn't stop you from giving them what for. The mailing list appears to have been drawn from Fish and Game Commission hearings, not the Blue Ribbon Task Force.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

Well maybe you should have joined us at a meeting or two.

I just got it today.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Yeah, you sideline sitting mofo! If you weren't so busy suckering someone into buying your extra porta-bote they might've taken your name down
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
FISHIONADO

PM me an email address and I'll forward the documents to anyone interested. I've reviewed just the La Jolla sections and still trying to understand it. Some changes to the actual borders near the pier and La Jolla reefs. Lots of GPS coordinate strike-outs and new proposed coordinates. I tried to paste here but the strike-outs don't show in the post and made it look even more confusing.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Well maybe you should have joined us at a meeting or two.

I just got it today.
They hate Me and Joe Nguyen.
Ken Wiseman said I was the devil, and Milissa Miller Henderson Whateverdafuk spams be with viruses.

I just want to be loved.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
PAL

^I love you Billy. Happy now?

There'd be something wrong with you if you were on Ken and Melissa's Christmas card list.