Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
duct tape
Junior

Why are most rudder controls on the left?

First post here. Been researching for over 6 months looking to get a kayak. I'm able to answer most of my questions reading BWE and watching all the kayak reviews on youtube but this question I can't seem to figure out.

Why are the rudder control on the left and not on the right from factory? I know PA's and WS Radar have the option to move the control to the right side and OB having dual control but is there a reason why most are on the left?

BTW, I still can't decide on a kayak. I'm starting to lean on the side of getting a used PA 12 over the rest as my first kayak.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

probably...........

Quote:
There's no denying it. Left-handers are the odd ones out. Sure, lefties make up about 10 percent of the population
Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
kirkdavis

It's a bias against Left-Handed people.

These kayaks were made for right-handed people. They can do a simple task (steering) with their left hand while the right hand is used for more important things like holding your pole, drinking your beverage of choice, etc. It's a conspiracy against left handed people. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
duct tape
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
These kayaks were made for right-handed people. They can do a simple task (steering) with their left hand while the right hand is used for more important things like holding your pole, drinking your beverage of choice, etc. It's a conspiracy against left handed people. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

For people who are right handed, does it make it difficult to control the rudder that's on the left when you're fighting a fish and trying to keep the kayak straight?

I'm right handed and I'm holding my rod with my left and reeling with my right, if I need to control the kayak I would need to switch hands and hold the rod with my right to free up my left hand to control the rudder. Is this correct? Am I over thinking this?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
For people who are right handed, does it make it difficult to control the rudder that's on the left when you're fighting a fish and trying to keep the kayak straight?

I'm right handed and I'm holding my rod with my left and reeling with my right, if I need to control the kayak I would need to switch hands and hold the rod with my right to free up my left hand to control the rudder. Is this correct? Am I over thinking this?
With both hands free it is so simple to switch your rod or anything else from hand to hand, it becomes second nature pretty fast.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
FISH11

Talking

It just human nature that as engineers in designing things, most happen to be, or think users will be right handed. I just think it's because most of us are masters baiters anyway.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post

Yes you’re overthinking it. Just pull your rudder up and enjoy the sleigh ride. The fish will straighten up the yak.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #8
Raskal311

99% of the time you are not fighting a fish which means 99% of the time you are probably holding the rod on your right hand.