Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
pingpangdang

Hawaiian kage spear gaff revisted

Digging up in the forums there were posts in 2011 and 13 regarding DIY Kage gaffs. I have not seen any videos of anyone using one in LJ.

For those that experimented on making and trying one of these I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on them now.

Looking at the HI yak videos it looked pretty legit getting fish into the yak. The spear has to be threaded to keep the fish on the spear so they stay on when you pull them into the yak.

Mainly curious to see if anyone has mastered landing an HB with a Kage maybe it's less complicated with a brain shot? Instant stunner?

Some are against kages saying there will be a bunch of fish with holes in them coming off the hook. But I think that your chance of losing a fish w/ a kage shot would increase only if you didn't have the threads that serve much like the hook on a gaff. I've seen a few videos of HBs going crazy swimming away w/ regular gaffs still stuck in them so either methods could have arguments.

I've also seen someone take 4" aluminum rod with a sharpened tip used as a harpoon. The rod had a hole drilled in the middle w/ a wire attached to it connected to the insertion handle....an old fishing rod. So essentially spear through the HB then the aluminum rod turns sideways once it goes throught the fish when the wire is pulled on. Not even sure if that is legal.

I'd rather not use any type of gaff if possible but if I hook up with an HB I don't think I have a choice right?

For YT or WSB can I just tail them? I have a kung fu grip! Maybe grab that big tail on a YT while using my shin/foot to get under it and flip him in the yak? Or is gilling better? I figure if I can hold on to the tail and lift the tail out the water it is not swimming anywhere...just would have to deal w/ the slime and shakes which I have no clue on how intense that will be.

If you have some footage using a kage on an HB or you tail leg flipped in a YT send me the video link or share your story!

Thx

Last edited by pingpangdang; 02-23-2016 at 01:32 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

There's no videos probably because it's illegal for everything in California except:

28.95. SPEARS, HARPOONS, AND BOW AND ARROW FISHING TACKLE. Spears, harpoons and bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks, except white sharks. Harpoons may be used to assist in taking Pacific halibut as specified in Section 28.20.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Go to the Fred Hall Show and attend the "Team Sewer" Seminars. They will give you the right information
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
tacmik

I really want to be there when you tail grip a large yt or wsb, drop your leg over the side to use for leverage and watch all your gear sink to the bottom when you flip.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Yt a d Wsb you can use a gaff...or not...your choice.

Halibut, if you grab the gill area hard enough they go to sleep. There is some kind of a nerve that runs half way between the eye and the dorsal line which has a pressure point.

Just grip very hard, it works every time. No gaff needed, just ruins meat.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Vodka in a spray bottle will work every time!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Phishphood

On this note... Would tailing a Yt or wsb with a rope be of any use after you gaff it? Say, if you don't have a game clip...
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Phishphood, pingpangdang--this should work well for you.......

https://youtu.be/Lk6Puz_sdts

Go fish already!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

I use a Kage. Have been since I started yak fishing. I also carry a gaff on me. Kage don't seem to work well for Halibut. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (160.9 KB, 328 views)
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I lost a big halibut last summer at the end of Zuniga jetty. When I tried to gaff him he went berserk. Those suckers have some strength when they decide not to cooperate. I was frustrated, to say the least, so I came home and built this whatchamacallit with a slip tip:

The matching hook gaff to make a set was for fun, and to use up some leftover materials. I like fiddling in my garage for relaxation.

In retrospect, I should have stained the wood with a dark oak penetrating oil stain, added some gnarly teeth marks or teeth, and given it the patina of age and experience. It still has the "new car smell" which just isn't right.

I haven't hooked another halibut big enough to use it since then, but it fits nicely on the right side paddle holder of my Outback as backup. Maybe when halibut see it on the side of my kayak ready to deploy they become more docile?

As my endurance for peddling my Hobie continues to build, maybe I'll pedal up to Alaska. Once we cross the border, I think it's not uncommon to shoot 'em in the head to subdue them.

The spray bottle with vodka sounds interesting. I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-23-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #11
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
I really want to be there when you tail grip a large yt or wsb, drop your leg over the side to use for leverage and watch all your gear sink to the bottom when you flip.

I've done it over 200 times in the last year. Never a problem for me.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
jorluivil

999.999% of the kayakers have managed to land and secure their catch without the use of a kage, some have even managed to land fish without the use of a gaff. IMO you only need a gaff, a game clip and some stringers, everything else is just extra crap that you'll have to deal with.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I lost a big halibut last summer at the end of Zuniga jetty. When I tried to gaff him he went berserk. Those suckers have some strength when they decide not to cooperate. I was frustrated, to say the least, so I came home and built this whatchamacallit with a slip tip:

The matching hook gaff to make a set was for fun, and to use up some leftover materials. I like fiddling in my garage for relaxation.

In retrospect, I should have stained the wood with a dark oak penetrating oil stain, added some gnarly teeth marks or teeth, and given it the patina of age and experience. It still has the "new car smell" which just isn't right.

I haven't hooked another halibut big enough to use it since then, but it fits nicely on the right side paddle holder of my Outback as backup. Maybe when halibut see it on the side of my kayak ready to deploy they become more docile?

As my endurance for peddling my Hobie continues to build, maybe I'll pedal up to Alaska. Once we cross the border, I think it's not uncommon to shoot 'em in the head to subdue them.

The spray bottle with vodka sounds interesting. I haven't tried that yet.
Nothing like building something yourself and putting it to use...adds to the fun. Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
pingpangdang

Some good feedback and some good laughs... Thx for the feedback

I heard pepper spray works as well. It not only stuns the fish but you won't need to marinade the fish because it will have an ole bay cajun taste from the spray.

Maybe a stun gun next to the pressure point...the stun guns that shoot the darts that pierce skin w/ the wires attached. Anytime the fish acts up stun'em until they learn to behave. It's also known to keep sharks away and serves as an electric fence type of stringer.

I think I'll go invest in a gaff for now but will try the tail flip method on the YTs. Seen plenty of catch and release w/ a pic on PB...they seem to be too gassed and seem somewhat manageable.

One more thing...has anyone used a boga grip on YT? I have the cheaper basspro models w/ the build in scale.... How many lbs of fish is too much to even consider using one? I've used them on japanese sea bass in the 60+cm range and they lock pretty good on those lips.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Some good feedback and some good laughs... Thx for the feedback

[snip]...

One more thing...has anyone used a boga grip on YT? I have the cheaper basspro models w/ the build in scale.... How many lbs of fish is too much to even consider using one? I've used them on japanese sea bass in the 60+cm range and they lock pretty good on those lips.
Dude... a 24" yellowtail is affectionately called a "rat". (slightly larger than a 12" 'mouse')

You just bounce them with your rod, grab them by the shoulders, unhook them and send them back to the deep with instructions to call you back when they get about 130 cm.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

the only time you need a kage on the yak is for a big tuna, like over 80#.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #17
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead_77 View Post
Dude... a 24" yellowtail is affectionately called a "rat". (slightly larger than a 12" 'mouse')

You just bounce them with your rod, grab them by the shoulders, unhook them and send them back to the deep with instructions to call you back when they get about 130 cm.
Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Has anyone used one of those generic boga grippers on a 40lb YT and did it hold through a second wind of thrash'n?

Hammerhead when I referred to my grip the size reference was in regards to handling Japanese sea bass not a 24" rat YT.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #18
tamddo714

I like to use lip grippers and hang on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Has anyone used one of those generic boga grippers on a 40lb YT and did it hold through a second wind of thrash'n?

Hammerhead when I referred to my grip the size reference was in regards to handling Japanese sea bass not a 24" rat YT.
Ah. OK. low comprehension day I guess. I've never used anything on a YT except the gaff or a landing net if I was going to release a small one. Some guys really rock at wearing the fish out to the point it just floats...not me. I lose too many fish when I screw around so I tend to get them to the gaff fast, which can mean you end up with a little bit hotter fish on the gaff than would be ideal.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #20
taggermike

I made a kage a couple years ago, took it on a few trips, but didnt catch any thing big enough to use it. Mostly I made it for fun, not cause I felt I needed one.

Don't wanted to diss our local fishing but we don't have any big dangerous fish (except sharks, which I don't fish for). In HI they use kages on billfish, wahoo, n big tuna. You really want these fish dead and held at a bit of a distance until they die. They can stab you, cut you, and beat you to death, respectively. Sadly, we don't have fish like these.

WSB are strong but fade fast and are usually gassed out and exhausted at boat side. They have teeth but nothing that's gonna tear you up. YT basically don't have teeth, and only a few spines. Halis always have potential to freak out, but again, they can really hurt you. There's a poster here on BWE from AK that uses a harpoon with a break away head on pacific halibut. These fish can get huge and a freakishly powerful. A harpoon is the only safe way to dispatch then.

Ive found YT super easy to release. They have a strong tooth less jaw and thin caudal peduncle you can hold. I grab the jaw then the tail and pull them across my lap. Remove the hook. Then slide them off the the other side head first with a bit of a push and off they go.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote