Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
ceviche eater

La Jolla 1st time and yard sale

went out to la Jolla for the first time I got a chance to meet Anthony (tjones) nice guy thanks for the pointers, I had a good launch but my buddy didn't he rolled twice loosing two rods double rod holder and misc. gear. I made bait and cruised the grounds looking for fish with no luck. but the fish were there I seen a couple hook ups around me.
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
TJones

Good morning

I will put out the word about your equipment . Let's see if we can get it back to its owner . We searched far and wide in deep water and never really came across anything . On the way back in I saw a few stragglers chasing bait and a few lone cruisers . Most of the action took place on the inside . Next Time.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
solyluna

Lots of traffic on the way home
No yellow for me
Meter some no hookup
Easy launch and landing
And a whale that popped about 20 feet from me will making bait
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
h2ofishfo

Rolled on ankle slapping shore breakers !!! Eek that sucks time that set !
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
TJones

Big Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by solyluna View Post
Lots of traffic on the way home
No yellow for me
Meter some no hookup
Easy launch and landing
And a whale that popped about 20 feet from me will making bait
Thanks for everything . Lunch , dinner , ride there , and waiting for me to land . I was hanging out with Josh and the boys . .
Whoops , we are starting to burn this thread .
Old 02-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
TJones

that stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
even if your timing is off , remember to keep your feet in kayak and keep it straight . Use you paddle to brace as needed . I am trying to make some phone calls to see if anything has turned up yet .
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
momo fish

Monday was an interesting day... Seems like everyone and their grandma came out as the launch was packed..

Saw your buddy launched and for the life of me could not understand why he did what he did.. After jumping on the first time in about waist deep water he proceeds to stare at the wave and not start paddling as the wave ahead was building up only to have it hit him and turn him sideways thus falling off.. Had he paddled right away he would have made it..

Then with half his rods missing along with other items, not proceed to go back 10 feet and collect his gear he just lost.. Instead he just turns flips the kayak and tries once more... Luckily a gentleman ran out to help him grab the kayak and gave him a hand to relaunch with a push and some advise. Only to watch your buddy jump on stick both his feet in the water as he was paddling very slooowwllyy... Why would you stick your feet in the water while trying to launch past the surf break... The kayak he had was a nice one that handles surf launches better than most. He made it past the break with the help of Jesus i believe...

I have seen some dumb stuff but that day took the cake for me. Why didn't he spend another 2 minutes to drop his kayak on the beach and gab his gear? I hate to say this but he deserved what I saw and losing his gear. LJ is a great place to learn surf launching but it didn't appear he was prepared at all especially launching for first time with your rods up and not tied on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceviche eater View Post
went out to la Jolla for the first time I got a chance to meet Anthony (tjones) nice guy thanks for the pointers, I had a good launch but my buddy didn't he rolled twice loosing two rods double rod holder and misc. gear. I made bait and cruised the grounds looking for fish with no luck. but the fish were there I seen a couple hook ups around me.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
momo fish

Haha!
Dude you were just telling me how you never ate it launching or landing.. Should of knocked on wood!!

see you next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Haha!
Dude you were just telling me how you never ate it launching or landing.. Should of knocked on wood!!

see you next time..
ha not me this dude I was there that day really small still haven't rolled 8 yrs knock on wood 100x cause I keep jinxing my self but not yet I'll jump off early I don't care if
It's 6ft of water as long as u hold on to the nose and swim it in your good shit saved ha
Old 02-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
momo fish

La Jolla 1st time and yard sale

Ahh good to hear.. Your my hero. Want to see you make it to 80 and still haven't eaten it!!

I'm same way now.. Way easier to jump out and grab the back and ride it in.. Works for me when I don't time it well.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Monday was an interesting day... Seems like everyone and their grandma came out as the launch was packed..

Saw your buddy launched and for the life of me could not understand why he did what he did.. After jumping on the first time in about waist deep water he proceeds to stare at the wave and not start paddling as the wave ahead was building up only to have it hit him and turn him sideways thus falling off.. Had he paddled right away he would have made it..

Then with half his rods missing along with other items, not proceed to go back 10 feet and collect his gear he just lost.. Instead he just turns flips the kayak and tries once more... Luckily a gentleman ran out to help him grab the kayak and gave him a hand to relaunch with a push and some advise. Only to watch your buddy jump on stick both his feet in the water as he was paddling very slooowwllyy... Why would you stick your feet in the water while trying to launch past the surf break... The kayak he had was a nice one that handles surf launches better than most. He made it past the break with the help of Jesus i believe...

I have seen some dumb stuff but that day took the cake for me. Why didn't he spend another 2 minutes to drop his kayak on the beach and gab his gear? I hate to say this but he deserved what I saw and losing his gear. LJ is a great place to learn surf launching but it didn't appear he was prepared at all especially launching for first time with your rods up and not tied on..
You don't pull any punches do you??
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #12
Rambo

As a buddy, did you give him any fair warning? Like dude strap your rods down especially if this is his first surf launch. I know my buddies told me the horror stories of donating gears on their 1st launch and it took me 3 tries later to get comfortable with surf launch.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
momo fish

Yeah... Kinda hard to hold back if you witnessed it.. Others watching had the same comments and just shook their heads.. Was hoping it's not a BWE member as their is plenty of info and help on here if you just ask... Took a kind stranger to help him launch as buddy had already took off..
Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
JeffB

Yea I saw him roll a bunch of times then just take off. I saw the rods get collected along with the mount they were in. Not sure why he took off with out them. The guy kept going out in waiste deep water and running parallel with the waves.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

He must be a baller. Ballers don't worry about stuff left behind. They get new shite later.

Last edited by Bert Vega; 02-18-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
momo fish

Good meeting you at the landing.. You put in a long day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
He must be a baller. Ballets don't worry about stuff left behind. They get new shite later.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
h2ofishfo

Man missed that seems like a salmon run just keep going no matter the consequences to move up stream ha reminds me of the Steve Moyer days when a hundred guys would roll out half who've ever beach launched that was a swapmeet
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #18
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Good meeting you at the landing.. You put in a long day!!
Like wise. It was nice meeting you guys. See you OTW!!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
knightnsd

dam give the new guy a break, comments as cold as the winter water. He should hit up one of the guides for some tips though
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
ceviche eater

I warned him he said he was ok with launching I watched the first roll but didn't catch the second I still don't know why he was just standing there.
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote