Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
ski

Fathers Day Trophy!

Started the day by taking the kids bowling for a couple of hours and then back to my place to load up for a trip to the beach. Of course we took the pole to see if we could sore lip a few perch. After lounging on the sand for a bit, I convinced my youngest to go in the water with me. We spent a good 45 minutes in the water till we finally got out. The water was actually pretty refreshing! No sooner did we get back up to our blanket when the little one asks if we could fish now Well, she did not have to ask me twice!
We made our way to an area that had no swimmers, so I show Melanie where and how to catch sand crabs. She's a fast learner, so in no time she had found me a handful of the crabs and I put them in my pocket for easy access when I needed one.
I put one of the crabs on and heaved it out and handed the rod to her. She's a natural 8)

It did not take long for her to reel one in 8) 8) 8)

Dad had caught a few and released them. Not this one though! Nooooo sir! Mel had other plans. She wanted to eat her fish for dinner
Funny part of this is that I did not plan for us to keep any of the fish so I told Mel that she had to hold it until we split :lol: So there she was, holding that fish with two hands and as some of the passer by's asked, "whacha got there"? She replied, "That's my fish"
I guess the moral to this little story is, you dont have to catch a record size fish for it to be considered a "trophy", and in Melanies' opinion, surf perch taste great too:!: :!: :!:
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Good on ya Ski! I love when they want to take their trophy home and eat it I never really look at Fathers Day as a day to do what I want, but more a day to appriciate being a dad. I had to work all day, but came home and loaded up the bikes and took my kids for a trip around Lake Murray. Great way to end the work day, then home for dinner and the bestowing of many presents upon me, including a cleverly decorated insulated can holder from my youngest
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I remeber when I was her age......My dad, grandfather and broke off our normal sunday steelhead trip and went to the Willamette River in Oregon and did some sturgeon fishing.......I caught some pesky mudsucking bottom fish....it sure was ugly but I kept it next to me all day assuming I was going to take it home.....as we left later on that day....my grandfather threw it's dead carcass back in the water no knowning I thought I caught a prize(his intention was to kill it anyway cz they eat baby salmon)....In the backseat on the way home I was upset and barely holding back a tear.....anyway, my point is that she will remember this for the rest of her life...so good on ya dad....can't wait till mine is ready for his first trip in the bay....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Dan

Quote:
Well, she did not have to ask me twice!
Mine won't do sand crabs yet

We're still in Hook'em & hand 'em mode.

Recently overheard: 3 year old to 5 month old: "Can you say Lellowtail?" "Lellow!" (pause) "Tail!"

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

nice bimini on the lil one Daddy Dan