Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2023, 10:08 AM   #1
PapaDave

PA17 issues

The steering line on my PA17 broke, we were out about a quarter of a mile. Luckily I was able to use the peddles/Bixby and the paddle to get back in.

It also took on a massive amount of water, so much that it started to lean to one side. I've had this issue before and I've tried filling it up, close inspection, even filled the hull with foam but nothing has fixed it on a permanent level. Since I now have to take that foam out to replace the steering line I'm wondering if anyone out there know how to find/fix the leak.

P.S.
Aside from not putting foam in the hull in the first place, does anyone have suggestions on how to take it out without using a shrink ray on myself so I can climb in?
Old 08-07-2023, 07:20 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

In 2015 the cords for the steering system on my PA14 broke, and like you did, I used the paddle to steer back to the beach. The local dealer provided a diagram for repair, and had the cables in stock. There are a few YouTube videos on patching leaks on kayaks.
Good luck Dave!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:24 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
The steering line on my PA17 broke, we were out about a quarter of a mile. Luckily I was able to use the peddles/Bixby and the paddle to get back in.

It also took on a massive amount of water, so much that it started to lean to one side. I've had this issue before and I've tried filling it up, close inspection, even filled the hull with foam but nothing has fixed it on a permanent level. Since I now have to take that foam out to replace the steering line I'm wondering if anyone out there know how to find/fix the leak.

P.S.
Aside from not putting foam in the hull in the first place, does anyone have suggestions on how to take it out without using a shrink ray on myself so I can climb in?
I've found pesky leaks with soapy water and running an air hose at the drain plug. I'm not all that familiar with the layout of PAs but many hobies have these liners that guide the rudder lines into the hull. If those become detached from the hull that can an entry point.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I've found pesky leaks with soapy water and running an air hose at the drain plug. I'm not all that familiar with the layout of PAs but many hobies have these liners that guide the rudder lines into the hull. If those become detached from the hull that can an entry point.
Not quite sure what is meant by drain plug and I'm not real sure about the steering guides, I've had to replace that one a 14 so I'm fairly okay doing that.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
FoodGeekFish

Drain plug located near the rear of the boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hobie-drain-plug-with-gasket.jpg (55.7 KB, 29 views)
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
monstahfish

Hook up a compressor and duct tape a spray nozzle into the drain hole run a few psi inside the hull don't over inflate it. Then spray the hull down with windex or simple green and look for bubbles emerging from the soap. This will identify the leak. You will have leakage coming from control lines and stuff, instead focus on scuppers, drive well and anywhere cracks can form.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:21 PM   #7
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Hook up a compressor and duct tape a spray nozzle into the drain hole run a few psi inside the hull don't over inflate it. Then spray the hull down with windex or simple green and look for bubbles emerging from the soap. This will identify the leak. You will have leakage coming from control lines and stuff, instead focus on scuppers, drive well and anywhere cracks can form.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.