Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
icelogger

comparing new xfactor and stealth

This question is for you guys that have tried them both. I saw the big sale coming up and perhaps I may buy one.

What are the big differences with xfactor and stealth, pros and cons, such as built in bait tank location, ease of moving around reaching for different hatches, stability, performance, differences between the 12 and 14, any other big differences?..... I've only read the
The manufactures descriptions.

Also, for those of you who have paddled hobies, a question about these drive fins. Do they really make kayak fishing that much better, or are they just an added bonus to kayak fishing? Why are they so great compared to malibu?

Thanks
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

All a poor man needs. Is a plastic bath tub and a fishing rod.

The fish will come,

if you are in the right spot, at the right time, and place

Hobie = Hands on fishing pole, speed and money
Paddle= Rods under leg or rod holders, then toss paddle overboard to set the hook

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 07-17-2012 at 09:57 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

I ride a Stealth 14. It's the first kayak that I've owned. I did my homework on all of the top kayaks that I could afford used and waited for a deal that I couldn't pass up. I love the built in bait tank and storage compartments. It is very stable and I feel at ease and comfortable on it in the ocean. It is loooong and takes up alot of room so you have to see how much room you have to store it. It also weighs alot even before it gets loaded up. Every thing you read about the hatches leaking, especially the front one is true. I did read that the new models don't leak though.
Overall I love my Stealth because of the bait tank and stability.
Now you asked about the Hobie and peddling instead of paddling. I've never been on one and don't need to be to want one because I have seen them in action. They are fast and look easier to maneuver. The other day when I was fighting the wind hard in LJ a couple of Hobies went by me like it was no problem.
Bottom line is if I had the money I'd be peddling a Hobie but the whole time I'd be wishing that it had a bait tank like the Malibu.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
yotasan

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/artic...ddlepedal.html
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Yakin

I went from an ocean scrambler to a hobie PA.
Just like this is said ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
All a poor man needs. Is a plastic bath tub and a fishing rod.
The fish will come,

Hobie = Hands on fishing pole, speed and money
Paddle= Rods under leg or rod holders, then toss paddle overboard to set the hook
It can't be said any clearly!
with a hobie the big set back is the price but having the hands free fishing you can eat drink smoke fish and never touch a paddle where with a paddle you paddle goes flying when that fish bites haha!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Just make sure the paddle floats and is attached to a leash before "tossing"
Hobie is pretty much the way to go though if funds permit, they do not disappoint...
As a matter of fact I am about to sell my '08 Outback for a new one, nothing wrong with it I just decided to upgrade...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
ocurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Just make sure the paddle floats and is attached to a leash before "tossing"
Hobie is pretty much the way to go though if funds permit, they do not disappoint...
As a matter of fact I am about to sell my '08 Outback for a new one, nothing wrong with it I just decided to upgrade...
PM me on your outback, looking to get one fully set up!
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

... i've never thrown my paddle.. lol.

the hobie really is the way to go in the long run. but... they aren't the best for surf launches (from what i've seen) and my X factor, with a few mods to keep it dry inside, will punch through, yes through, the white wash and over any big wave or swell with ease. the only hard part is timing it right and managing the 14fter in the skinny and not having it turn sideways when you go to jump in.

the new x factor has another hatch that can be used as dry storage or a bait tank.

paddling really is a hassle though, especially around kelp while trying to troll or set a bait. it seems like you find a spot, paddle up current, drop the bait then you paddling again to get back on the spot and then your bait gets hung up on a kelp stringer, or you hook a 3ft halibut in the kelp and you cant keep on top of it and drag it through 15 strands of kelp just to get hung up and then your paddling around it all with the rod in the holder and end up loosing the fish in the end...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

the hobie really is the way to go in the long run. but... they aren't the best for surf launches (from what i've seen) and my X factor, with a few mods to keep it dry inside, will punch through, yes through, the white wash and over any big wave or swell with ease. the only hard part is timing it right and managing the 14fter in the skinny and not having it turn sideways when you go to jump in.

the new x factor has another hatch that can be used as dry storage or a bait tank.

paddling really is a hassle though, especially around kelp while trying to troll or set a bait. it seems like you find a spot, paddle up current, drop the bait then you paddling again to get back on the spot and then your bait gets hung up on a kelp stringer, or you hook a 3ft halibut in the kelp and you cant keep on top of it and drag it through 15 strands of kelp just to get hung up and then your paddling around it all with the rod in the holder and end up loosing the fish in the end...
Right, the Hobies are not the best surf launch and lands, but you get used to side slipping in, and never forget to raise the rudder unless you want to have a yard sale...been there done that...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Gigafish

I enjoy both peddle and paddle kayaks and have a hard time deciding which one to take. It's all in your preference more likely than not you'll have 2 or 3 kayaks in your arsenal within time. Kayakfishing is a Sickness as I am always looking for the newest design to hit the market.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Right, the Hobies are not the best surf launch and lands, but you get used to side slipping in, and never forget to raise the rudder unless you want to have a yard sale...been there done that...
Me personally, I am not a pro at timing my sets but in my PA I have never had one problem getting threw the white wash at all! The only problem with have something so wide like a PA are those few sprint paddling to get threw till you can start peddling but you don't really have to be that far out to start peddling.
I have actually been in pretty bad surf, walked my kayak out to almost chest deep, jumped in, and peddled away using no paddle.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS The x-factor!

Im always paddling in that thing

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

I have owned both the stealth and the x-factor.Both seemed to paddle the same The x- factor being my choice. And now with the 2012 x- factor you can have a live well up front as well. And if you are a small guy maybe consider the x13 I do hear they move well
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
icelogger

Thanks all for the advice and tips. I bought my first fishing kayak, a 2012 xfactor.

:Can't wait to set a line this weekend!

Last edited by icelogger; 07-22-2012 at 07:31 PM.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
echo1er

Jackson Kayak Cuda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8WMjpiaiA&lr=1
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote