Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
matthew7!

La Jolla 07/13

Very average day. Struggled to make bait for sure only found about ten Mack’s in six hours. Went straight north up to the edge of Del Mar beach then back south to the point. Wind was moving forecast said around 8mph, pretty choppy. Got lucky and found two of my Mack’s right when I got out of the MPA. Lots of eel grass today lot more than normal caused little cat and mouse game trying to keep the Mack’s clear. Found the other Mack’s in the canyon then about a hour later the battery died. Took like my two Mack’s that were left trolling to twenty feet of water right off the point. Started drifting also throwing a micro jig. Caught one bass on the jig and caught one really nice bass on the Mack. Then things get interesting, I throw that Mack back(dead) and dropped him down to the sea floor about ten mins later something picked it up. Then dropped it then grabbed it and swam away. Clicked the drag over and the reel started screaming right towards the kelp couldn’t slow it down. I believe it was a Leopard shark especially cause it was so shallow. Snapped me off in the kelp and that put an end to my day. Keep meeting you guys out there thanks for saying hi!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
matthew7!

Forgot to add my fishing buddy got into the bonito thick yesterday on the sibiki. Seemed pretty to Good what sizes do you guys usually get in these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
FISH11

Talking

Thanks for the report Matthew. One thing for shure when fishing LJ, the minute you have some great success and think that you figured things out. That's almost a sure sign that on following trip or trips, you will be humbled. Don't stop, keep putting in the time. You are doing the right things and have had great success lately. I have actually found from my experience that this time of year at LJ is the slowest 3 months of the year. You are way ahead of the curve. Those Bonitos when they are around, are the reason I tend to use Sabiki's with 30 lb main branch, 20 lb branches and #6 hooks. I've had lighter Sabikis just totally loose all branches from Bonitos hit them hard. Tight Lines.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:03 AM   #4
Puulum
Banned

Amazing. Congrats!
Puulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
TJones

Words of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Thanks for the report Matthew. One thing for shure when fishing LJ, the minute you have some great success and think that you figured things out. That's almost a sure sign that on following trip or trips, you will be humbled. Don't stop, keep putting in the time. You are doing the right things and have had great success lately. I have actually found from my experience that this time of year at LJ is the slowest 3 months of the year. You are way ahead of the curve. Those Bonitos when they are around, are the reason I tend to use Sabiki's with 30 lb main branch, 20 lb branches and #6 hooks. I've had lighter Sabikis just totally loose all branches from Bonitos hit them hard. Tight Lines.
Sad but true. Things can get real interesting from here on out. For one, bait can be real difficult to locate. Thanks for all the reports.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
hshhdhebeb
Junior

Good read

Yesterday was tough for me and everyone else out there I spoke with. Keep the reports coming, enjoy reading them.
hshhdhebeb is offline   Reply With Quote