Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Ohana

Newport Back Bay, August 29, 2010

Launched out of the Newport Aquatic Center at 9:30 am. Tide was moving in a good clip (high tide at 12:00 pm) and the wind out of the southwest was steady, so the drift was fast pushing into the backbay.

I decided to use a crankbait and fished the sides of the channel. On my third cast, I hooked a nice size yellowfin croaker; it put up a scrappy fight and released to fight another day. But I also dunked my reel while trying to unhook the croaker, so time to do a thorough cleaning of the reel

Shortly after the croaker, I hooked two small (13 inches) halibut on the crankbait.

No spotted bay bass today. My impression is they are further up in the bay; last weekend I got only two bass, but four, 2 legal, halibut in the area I normally catch only bass.

All in all a nice day on the water. For those who like to birdwatch, I got to see a Peregrine Falcon chase some shorebirds and rocket right over my head as it headed into the back bay.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
scglide
Junior

I was also there today and managed to hook 1 small bass on 3'' gulp bait, just north of the PCH bridge by the small island. That was the only thing I got. I also met another guy from this forum (forgot his name) I think he said he got a couple Halibuts.
Steve
scglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Ohana

Steve:

It was the windiest day I have seen in a while combined with a fast rising tide, so drifting on the channel edges with light jig-heads and gulp might have been the ticket.

I had neither, so I used a crankbait. I have had good luck the last couple of times with the crankbait and it is easy to fish and cover a lot of water quickly.

I only saw one other kayak fisherman and he was flyfishing.

Kevin
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
SeaEagle_1

i am very familiar with the backbay. not likely the bass were to far back there. however i do know of a great place with good structure and current. if you go back about mile or so from NAC the bay will bottleneck, i always do very well there for both legal bass, (somethings 18" or bigger) and legal halibut from time to time.

there is a spot back there that is great for spotfin croaker, love catching those guys. when is the season for those guys? caught a 24" spotfin right across from NAC several years ago, read that the record is 27". man was i proud! lol.
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
bentrod1

Quote:
I also met another guy from this forum (forgot his name) I think he said he got a couple Halibuts.
Hey Steve... It's Bret, I would never forget your name, lol. I caught 1 Hali... but it was only 14" but fun. I really started getting bit at the Dover St. corner, bit off at least 4 times using a chartreuse 3" swimbait (what I landed the Hali on) and a couple times with a carolina rigged new penny gulp shrimp. A small cuda nearly jumped in my yak as I was pulling my bait out of the water (broke off again). I will not be using 4lb test again any time soon...

All in all it was frustrating, exciting, fun, windy, beautiful and the only place I needed to be that day... except for church (I'll pray for forgiveness).

Sorry I didn't see you out there Kevin, P.M. me next time you head out, same goes for you Steve, that way I'll have someone to tow me back in after battling that current.
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
scglide
Junior

Hey Bret, Sorry but I can't even remember my own name half the time. It was nice to meet you. Next time I go I'll post it here.
Happy fishin.
Steve
scglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaEagle_1 View Post
i am very familiar with the backbay. not likely the bass were to far back there. however i do know of a great place with good structure and current. if you go back about mile or so from NAC the bay will bottleneck, i always do very well there for both legal bass, (somethings 18" or bigger) and legal halibut from time to time.

there is a spot back there that is great for spotfin croaker, love catching those guys. when is the season for those guys? caught a 24" spotfin right across from NAC several years ago, read that the record is 27". man was i proud! lol.
Thanks for the information.

Spotfin are bigger then the yellowfin, so I look forward to hooking one of those. Maybe this weekend?

Kevin