Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
TCS

VHF Tips

Per a recommendation here on the forum I just picked up a standard horizon 210. I’ve looked over the instructions and watched a few videos but could use some advice for our kayaking application.

A few questions that are top of mind are:
What is squelch and how do you use\set it.
What channels do you use for hailing, keeping in contact when fishing LJ?
Same question for offshore.
What channels do you monitor or scan?
What channel do you use for a radio check. I think 27 is the local automated check channel but it may be out of my range.
Speaking of range has anyone tested how far offshore a handheld will be able to contact a land based station?
Other tips or lessons learned you think we all should know.

I’m guessing that some other folks besides me could learn from this topic as well.

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Increasing the squelch blocks weaker signals from being broadcast on your radio. Decreasing it will allow you to hear weaker signals to a point, and beyond that point you will have constant static.

I believe the channels recreational watercraft are supposed to stick to are 68 - 72 (but I am sure someone can correct me). That would be for both inshore and offshore.

16 is the emergency contact channel constantly monitored by Coast Guard, Harbor Patrol and others. Generally, if you are going to leave your VHF on, you are supposed to at least have it as one of your scan channels. Weather channel is 1.

You can use any channel (except 16) to radio check, but most harbors will monitor a specific channel for checks.

Our handheld radios get out very weak, but boat and land based models both send and receive stronger. You can hear them from 20+ miles away although they will not hear you from more than about 5.

The VHF signals are very linear too. If there are large obstruction between you and your target (including swells) you will have reduced range.

Tips:
Your cell phone has more range.
Don't say anything that you wouldn't post on BD (boats scan channels).
Wait for the channel to be clear before speaking.
Don't tie up a channel for more than a minute at a time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
TJones

VHF

Did you buy the radio new or used? When I have gotten real bored a read a few pages from my manual. I currently have 3 radios. A couple of Icom's and a Standard Horizon 870. Don't quote me on this but I believe there are certain channels that you are not supposed to use at all. I think they are designated as commercial.
As far setting squelch : adjust squelch till you here static or zero setting. Then bump it up slowly till you have no static. This will allow you the maximum range and weed out weaker / garbled transmissions. If you bought the radio used, go to manufacturer website and download the manual. I would highly recommend trying to learn your radio features.
Generally a hand held radio could be 3-6 watts max which could have a range of 3-6 miles over the water. The Coast Guard on the other hand may have a 25-30 watt radio with antenna placed in the optimal position. This could translate to 60 NM or more. In an emergency situation the user pretty much only needs to worry about transmitting. Emergency responders will receive you. Hope this answered some of your questions. Im going back to the other thread.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
TJones

VHF

Useful info
Check out quality2wayradiis.com (how far I can talk)
Also check out Krispy Kreme FB barcode
Buy 1 dozen get 1 dozen for a 1$
Enjoy
✊��
2400 posts
Still can’t publish pics properly
��X♂️
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 848172D7-6DD5-4E07-8815-EA6FAB579B70.jpg (53.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg A91642F3-88A1-4D94-868C-A532504CF83C.jpg (72.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Roc
Junior

This came at the perfect time for me. Looking at the standard horizons HX 890 or ICOM IC-M93D models since they have gps and I can send a distress beacon at the touch of a button & coast guard can find my cold corps clinging onto my (expensive for me) real
Anyone have a recommendation? The icon is made in japan, but only has a max of 5w, the SH has a max of 6w, but is china made. Has anyone used these in real life? Or has a better option?
Thanks guys
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
FISH11

I recently purchased the Standard Horizon HX 890 from West Marine and it still has a $50 rebate available that ends on 9-30-2020. I had two West Marine 160 with no GPS and they worked great and were a lower price had 6 watts. After 3 years both started having an issue were the screen display would become dark and impossible to read. So the problem was if with friend and they wanted to change channel, I could most times not see the channel on the display. That made switching channels a chore. I searched and found my receipt and extended warranty, I had purchased, so I took both back but they only refunded me the money on the one I had the receipt for. Apparently when I bought the first one I didn't realize the clerk didn't ask me for my phone number and so it was not showing up on their records. Long story short make sure you have all your receipts handy instead of relying on their records. I do recommend the HX890 because I always go with 6 watts max. for the best range and make sure you buy their extended warranty. The only thing I don't like about it is the volume is not as high as my West Marine 160 which they no longer carry. My other 160 still works great and some of the time the display is still readable.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
TJones

Hand Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc View Post
This came at the perfect time for me. Looking at the standard horizons HX 890 or ICOM IC-M93D models since they have gps and I can send a distress beacon at the touch of a button & coast guard can find my cold corps clinging onto my (expensive for me) real
Anyone have a recommendation? The icon is made in japan, but only has a max of 5w, the SH has a max of 6w, but is china made. Has anyone used these in real life? Or has a better option?
Thanks guys
Its nice to have all those features packed into a radio, but personally I find it too much. I keep it simple by having Personal Beacon Locator for emergency purposes, and a high end floating hand radio for communication purposes. The Icom radios are simple to use and have great performance. I also have SH 870 radio, which will do everything you need and more. Its an older model by now and generally speaking the more features you have, the more draw rate it will have. I would roll with that 6 watt icom. Thats one of my current radios. I have only had it for 3-4 months so I can not speak about long term reliability. Im sure it will not disappoint. I have an M36 that is years old now and it performs like new still. Good luck with you decision.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Warranty on VHF

Local warranties have been good. I buy them via West Marine for FF and VHF radios. West Marine generally has high prices, but they do price matching with Amazon and stores within 50 miles of the location of purchase. I recently replaced my VHF with a Standard Hx210 which has a $20 rebate through the end of Sept 2020. It's a no-frills radio but has a 20hr battery versus most the others that are usually less the 12hrs. West Marine's price was 99.99, but a discount electronics store had it for 84.99, so West Marine matched the price. West Marine's 1yr warranty was $10, and extends the MFG 3yr warranty to 4yrs. So if I have any problems with the radio over the next 4yrs, I just bring it into West Marine, and walk out of the store with a brand new radio the same day! It is well worth the $10 for this kind of insurance as opposed to multiple phone calls, shipping, and waiting months to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

The one caveat is after you have replaced it once, you must buy another warranty so that the next time it breaks, you can repeat the exchange process. If the item is no longer available, West Marine has allowed me to use the value of the item towards the purchase of another. This is great for upgrading Electronics.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 09-10-2020 at 07:31 PM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Roc
Junior

So I kinda went with your recommendations I went to west marine and got the extended 2yr warranty, but went with the ICON m93d with gps. Since I'm new to fishing in the ocean and will probably be going alone most times I just wanted the peace of mind of knowing the machine will send out my coordinates, cause I won't know em. And compared to the SH, the Icons antenna seemed way sturdier. So now I gotta get a MMSI #, I've read that somehow you can get it for free? Is this true & Can anyone here direct me where to get it??
Old 09-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
FISH11

You don't need an MMSI#, unless you have a bunch of friends that you are going to be sharing conversations with. That is more for like private conversations. The radio works as a normal VHS radio the way it comes. You can program the channels you wish to scan usually one is 16 for emergencies, the main channels guys in the San Diego fishing community use channels 68 and 69.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
FullFlavorPike

As to one of your more important questions: the coast guard will probably hear you from as far offshore as you are going in your kayak, even if you're just on a handheld. They have pretty powerful radio equipment.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Roc
Junior

Free MMSI #

Took me all day, but I finally found where to get a free MMSI number. May same some of you $25. Just have to create a member acct

http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php
Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
TJones

MMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
You don't need an MMSI#, unless you have a bunch of friends that you are going to be sharing conversations with. That is more for like private conversations. The radio works as a normal VHS radio the way it comes. You can program the channels you wish to scan usually one is 16 for emergencies, the main channels guys in the San Diego fishing community use channels 68 and 69.
Are emergency responders still gonna receive your signal and come out if it is not registered?
Old 09-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Are emergency responders still gonna receive your signal and come out if it is not registered?
Not automatically, they can hear your message and if you read out the coordinates from the screen, then you are OK. The automatic feature is definitely an advantage in an emergency. Thanks to Roc, for doing the work in finding an easy way to get an MMSI#. I followed his link late last night and got mine, it was very simple. THANKS Roc!
Old 09-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
As to one of your more important questions: the coast guard will probably hear you from as far offshore as you are going in your kayak, even if you're just on a handheld. They have pretty powerful radio equipment.
I concur that the USCG has some sophisticated radios. I have been off Boynton Beach and talked with USCG Group Miami with my handheld off the kayak, and that's over 25 miles away. With the drier air off California, the line of sight rule has even less validity as sometimes one can get a sky bounce to reach San Pedro Marine operator as far as halfway down the coast of Baja.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
So I kinda went with your recommendations I went to west marine and got the extended 2yr warranty, but went with the ICON m93d with gps. Since I'm new to fishing in the ocean and will probably be going alone most times I just wanted the peace of mind of knowing the machine will send out my coordinates, cause I won't know em. And compared to the SH, the Icons antenna seemed way sturdier. So now I gotta get a MMSI #, I've read that somehow you can get it for free? Is this true & Can anyone here direct me where to get it??
I carry a PLB, and since I break and lose VHF radio's frequently, I opted for the cheaper unit. Having a radio with DSC is an extra layer of safety -- good for you, and nice job posting the MMSI link.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Having an MMSI# is an extra layer of safety. If you ever have to make a distress call, they will be able to retrieve all the information that you entered to acquire the MMSI. With that info, they will have a rough idea of who they are trying to rescue.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Took me all day, but I finally found where to get a free MMSI number. May same some of you $25. Just have to create a member acct

http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php
Good find! The United States Power Squadrons has a long history of educating the public on boating safety. Their website is an excellent resource for boating safety and education.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #19
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Increasing the squelch blocks weaker signals from being broadcast on your radio. Decreasing it will allow you to hear weaker signals to a point, and beyond that point you will have constant static.

I believe the channels recreational watercraft are supposed to stick to are 68 - 72 (but I am sure someone can correct me). That would be for both inshore and offshore.

16 is the emergency contact channel constantly monitored by Coast Guard, Harbor Patrol and others. Generally, if you are going to leave your VHF on, you are supposed to at least have it as one of your scan channels. Weather channel is 1.

You can use any channel (except 16) to radio check, but most harbors will monitor a specific channel for checks.

Our handheld radios get out very weak, but boat and land based models both send and receive stronger. You can hear them from 20+ miles away although they will not hear you from more than about 5.

The VHF signals are very linear too. If there are large obstruction between you and your target (including swells) you will have reduced range.

Tips:
Your cell phone has more range.
Don't say anything that you wouldn't post on BD (boats scan channels).
Wait for the channel to be clear before speaking.
Don't tie up a channel for more than a minute at a time.
Thanks Greg!!! This is a great summary and a confirmation of a few things I've been slowly learning over the years.

I actually bought a Standard horizon last year because my Uniden failed to consistently transmit with a buddy just a quarter mile away. Took me a while to realize that LOS, even in swell, can be a big deal.

Biggest QoL lesson I've learned with my Radio is to LOCK the damn settings once I'm on my comm channel for the day. Can't tell you how many times I've been trying to raise my buddy for half an hour only to realize I've smashed the buttons against something and changed the channel.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #20
monstahfish

Here are the procedures for safety calls that everyone should know... https://www.boatus.org/marine-commun...20information.
Keep in mind to repeat you call signal 3 times, speak clearly and calmly, identify your vessel and location and situation. The other important thing for all of us with handhelds is to use relays. For example down at Makoville, if you're around the backside of the island, basecamp is unreachable and there's likely no Mexican Navy for 50 miles but if there's someone within range, you should be prepared to relay your situation through them to someone with a power boat who can get to you. Always study your charts so you know the waters you will be in as well and can communicate your location accurately.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote