Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
C. Cary

La Jolla 9/6

Launched at 5:45, low tide, fairly easy launch, but still took a wave to the chest, now wide awake. Made bait quickly near the kelp, mix of small greenbacks and spanish macks. Got to slow trolling right away, would stop to drop on marks with 6xjr. First time in awhile at La Jolla for me where it was fishy. Caught 6-7 calico's on the iron, a Sandbass and some sort of Rockfish. Also a couple of Whitefish on the sabiki....As for the yellowtail, had a couple of shots at them but did not connect. While drifiting a flyline mack, my line screamed for a 2 count, saw Yellowtail blow up on the surface in front of me, I was hooked up to a calico on my iron. Once I got the calico up, I checked on the flyline, mack had no marks on it, I think the run was trying to avoid the YT...frustrating. Stayed in the area, and had the Yellowtail come up twice more, did not take my bait. Threw the iron as well for no love. A little frustrating but the kind of day that makes you want to get back out there.

Water temp was mostly 69, however on the way in, hit 72 in the cove area. Calm early, wind and mixed swell picked up around 10am, off the water by noon. Looks like the wind was temporary as when I went for a car ride at 4pm, ocean looked glassy.

Overall good day at La Jolla, with some frustration mixed in. Think I might downsize my hook and lengthen my floro leader on the flyline rig.

Good luck out there.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
cris

Thanks for the report. Working all weekend but the conditions looked beautiful!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
surfshotmoto

Thanks for the report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote