Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Sakana Seeker
Junior

Thoughts on my set up?

Hi All,
Getting my rigs together for targeting YT for the first time. Been trying to piece everything together and I think I’m getting close. I’m planning on being in SD end of Sept for a week with a couple of days of fishing out of LJ from my Revo 13. Would love to get your thoughts on what I’ve got so far. Thanks!

I have 2 set ups, one I’d like to use for fly-line/Carolina live bait and the other for yo-yos or surface iron (I know that many recommend that these are different set ups, but I have to go with what I have. I will probably rely on yo-yo over surface iron with this rig because its how i like to fish).

Rig 1 (irons/jigs)
Reel: Avet MXJ 6/4 2 speed lever-drag
Rod: Teramar 15-40
Line: Plan to use 65# braid (300 yds with 40# mono backing), Alberto knot to 40# (or lighter?) mono top shot of (how long?) with a direct tie to the soldered part of the ring on the iron.
Tackle: Salas 6x Jr (scrambled egg, mint/white), Colt sniper 100g Green Mackerel, Tandy 45s (mint/silver and chrome/blue)

Main question here: how long of a mono top shot and what weight? Mono or Fluoro? Also, when switching between jigs, do you just cut the line at the jig and re-tie to the next one? Or do you put a clip/snap between the leader and the jig? Any line twist issues without a swivel in-line?

Rig 2 (live bait fly line or Carolina)
Reel: Accurate Boss Magnum 870 (4:1 retrieve)
Rod: Teramar 20-50
Line: 65# braid to 30# mono (or Fluoro?) top shot of (how long?), tied via Alberto knot. SD Jam knot to hook.
Tackle: 2/0 or 4/0 ringed circle hook (or J-hook? Personally, I don’t like circles...).
Option: use a snap swivel and sliding sinker on the main braid to allow for a sabiki, and to be able to add weight to the sliding sinker for a Carolina-like setup. Reverse dropper also possible with this.
Sakana Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
tak100
Recruit

The Avet MXJ is a bit of overkill but as long as you can cast it effectively it will work. I like to use #40 pound mono. The jigs are moving and the heavier line doesn't seem to make a difference within reason of course. For the same reason the cost of Flouro doesn't seem to be justified and the mono stretch is a little more forgiving.

I personally like to use a short leader that would have your Alberto knot outside of the guides and the leader as long as you are comfortable casting. I have used leaders as short as 20" but I usually like 36" or longer. It is hard to stop and retie a leader when the bite is on. If you need to change lures just cut it off and retie with a shorter leader until you get uncomfortably close to the lure (about 20" for me). Definitely make sure you have extra leader line available if you go this route. If you fishing a long day you may have to put a new one on. The good news is a 100 yd spool will last forever using 5' at a time.

The other option is to use a long leader that will be longer than your normal cast. The Alberto knot (or any other joiner knot for that matter) sometimes get hung up in the guides when casting and everything comes to an abrupt halt. If you are lucky you just get a really nasty birds nest. If you are unlucky you break your line and lose the jig and get a really nasty birds nest.

I usually fish the jig the way it is rigged from the manufacturer, so if it comes with swivel I use it. If comes with a ring I tie directly to the ring.

There are lots of posts here about how to rig for live bait. Your plan looks close enough to work.

Hope that helps.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

With that gear, you are ready to haul in 100# bft ... the yt won't stand a snowball's chance in hell unless you drop that $$$$ accurate over the side and want to cry/never fish again

THe MXJ doesn't make enough drag to really fish 40#. It only does somethig like 9# max at strike. It is more of a 20-30# reel for people on boats who need line capacity at lighter line classes, whereas we can get away with itty bitty teeny tiny reels on kayaks. Fish it with 30# and set it to ~8# drag at strike, then you can give it a little more if you need it.

Some smart person on this forum snaps his sabiki to the ring on his ringed circle hook (use ringed hooks or learn to tie a kreh loop, btw) on his flyline rig, which is pretty darn clever. Just snap the sabiki off when the bait tank is full, et voila.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
FISH11

65lb braid is perfect. I use fluorocarbon leaders in 30-40 lb ( I prefer 40lb) usually 6'-7' long to a circle or ringed circle hook in 2/0-4/0 size. If tying braid to fluoro or mono, use a uni to uni knot with at least 6 turns on each side. The best option especially since you plan on being able to swap set ups on each rod, is to put a swivel lock snap on the end of the braid so you can change to anything quickly. I always use a Palomar knot at all swivel and hook ends. It the easiest to tie (even blind folded) and never slips. I would make several 6'-7' leaders with small swivels on the line end, so you can change them when you want and have the option of switching hook sized or even dropper loop 3 way swivel. You rather not have to be retying lines on the water instead of fishing. Circle hook are the best, all you have to do is, when the line takes off, just count to 5 or 6 point the rod at the fish and engage the reel in gear and start reeling in. No need to set the hook, it will have done that on it's own, that's how they are designed. The best thing with circle hook is When you use it right they are on the corner of the mouth (best hook set) away from teeth on some toothy fish and if it's not a fish you want to keep, it has no internal damage for a safe release. Good luck.

Last edited by FISH11; 08-26-2020 at 08:22 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Sakana Seeker
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
With that gear, you are ready to haul in 100# bft ... the yt won't stand a snowball's chance in hell unless you drop that $$$$ accurate over the side and want to cry/never fish again

THe MXJ doesn't make enough drag to really fish 40#. It only does somethig like 9# max at strike. It is more of a 20-30# reel for people on boats who need line capacity at lighter line classes, whereas we can get away with itty bitty teeny tiny reels on kayaks. Fish it with 30# and set it to ~8# drag at strike, then you can give it a little more if you need it.

Some smart person on this forum snaps his sabiki to the ring on his ringed circle hook (use ringed hooks or learn to tie a kreh loop, btw) on his flyline rig, which is pretty darn clever. Just snap the sabiki off when the bait tank is full, et voila.
Well you are right. Although I’m hesitant to book an overnight or 2.5 day trip right now b/c of covid, these reels and rigs will hopefully accompany me one day on an offshore trip for BFT (the smaller variety), YFT, YT etc.

As for the price of the reel. Yes, it’s an older model but I know what I have possession of. I’m lucky that a good friend of mine is a 6-pack captain and he gave me this reel on a permanent loan.

Nonetheless, I always leash my rods and put floaters on them too! Can never be too sure!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
65lb braid is perfect. I use fluorocarbon leaders in 30-40 lb ( I prefer 40lb) usually 6'-7' long to a circle or ringed circle hook in 2/0-4/0 size. If tying braid to fluoro or mono, use a uni to uni knot with at least 6 turns on each side.
This is pretty much the exact setup I use as far as line and knots. Double-uni on a palomar knot with ringed circle. I have yet to have a double-uni braid-swivel knot fail on me. I've pulled yellowtail and dorado straight through kelp paddies offshore after they belly-flop right into the middle of it and all the knots held up and the fish made it to the deck. back when I was experimenting with the albright, I had 2 fail on me in similar situations. Maybe it's just not a great knot for smaller lines? On my friend's boat, we use the albright on larger BFT setups and haven't had an issue. Either way, when I know there's kelp around and my line might end up around some, I'll step up the leader size and I know I can trust my double-uni/palomar combo!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana Seeker View Post
Hi All,
Getting my rigs together for targeting YT for the first time. Been trying to piece everything together and I think I’m getting close. I’m planning on being in SD end of Sept for a week with a couple of days of fishing out of LJ from my Revo 13. Would love to get your thoughts on what I’ve got so far. Thanks!

I have 2 set ups, one I’d like to use for fly-line/Carolina live bait and the other for yo-yos or surface iron (I know that many recommend that these are different set ups, but I have to go with what I have. I will probably rely on yo-yo over surface iron with this rig because its how i like to fish).

Rig 1 (irons/jigs)
Reel: Avet MXJ 6/4 2 speed lever-drag
Rod: Teramar 15-40
Line: Plan to use 65# braid (300 yds with 40# mono backing), Alberto knot to 40# (or lighter?) mono top shot of (how long?) with a direct tie to the soldered part of the ring on the iron.
Tackle: Salas 6x Jr (scrambled egg, mint/white), Colt sniper 100g Green Mackerel, Tandy 45s (mint/silver and chrome/blue)

Main question here: how long of a mono top shot and what weight? Mono or Fluoro? Also, when switching between jigs, do you just cut the line at the jig and re-tie to the next one? Or do you put a clip/snap between the leader and the jig? Any line twist issues without a swivel in-line?

Rig 2 (live bait fly line or Carolina)
Reel: Accurate Boss Magnum 870 (4:1 retrieve)
Rod: Teramar 20-50
Line: 65# braid to 30# mono (or Fluoro?) top shot of (how long?), tied via Alberto knot. SD Jam knot to hook.
Tackle: 2/0 or 4/0 ringed circle hook (or J-hook? Personally, I don’t like circles...).
Option: use a snap swivel and sliding sinker on the main braid to allow for a sabiki, and to be able to add weight to the sliding sinker for a Carolina-like setup. Reverse dropper also possible with this.
You won't get much 40# mono on top of 300 yards of 65# on that mxj in my experience with my mxj.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Sakana Seeker
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
You won't get much 40# mono on top of 300 yards of 65# on that mxj in my experience with my mxj.
Thank you for that. You are right, line diameter for 65# braid is equivalent to 20# mono. According to Avet, I am limited to 300 yards. I will go for 50# which will allow 480 yards. ~400 with mono backing and room for top shot. Appreciate the heads up.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana Seeker View Post
Thank you for that. You are right, line diameter for 65# braid is equivalent to 20# mono. According to Avet, I am limited to 300 yards. I will go for 50# which will allow 480 yards. ~400 with mono backing and room for top shot. Appreciate the heads up.
You won't need mono backing. Tell your shop you want it filled with 50# braid with a 50 yard topshot of 30# mono or copolymer. If it's your yoyo rig, you can leave that braid on there basically forever, and change the topshot out periodically for a pittance.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
summers in kuwait

For me I usually set up as follows:

AVET JX or MXJ 65 lb braid. On the JX I tie ~40 lb mono and run ~50 yards topshot connected with the alberto knot. On the MXJ, I tie a ~20 yards of 20-40 lb fluoro connected with the alberto.

SX and SXJ 50 lb braid. For these rigs I usually just run a ~10 ft leader connected with either alberto knot or more commonly a Spro Swivel.
The swivels are rated pretty high and fit through the eyes on my rods. This makes for switching rigs/leaders much easier.

When switching from yellowtails, halibut or WSB to rockfish at the end of the day, I like having less mono or fluoro leader. Braid wont stretch like these materials and this is plus when dropping 120-200 ft for lingcod or other rock fish. The stretch in the line can affect setting the hook for these fish or responding to snags or variances in bottom contour.

I only use three knots for fishing:

Alberto (line to line)
Spider Hitch (Loop - Dropper Loop)
San Diego Jam (Hook or swivel connection)

I will use an overhand knot, or weak breaking knot to attach my sinkers though.

Over the years I have been downsizing my reels, but and Avet SX, SXJ or MXJ can handle some some serious fish. With the smaller reels you wont have as good of drag range, so compared to LX or JX, but they will still work fine. The Gen2 are improved on this with added drag and ratcheting glide plate.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
fishnfoool

Your mxj has plenty of drag needed for yellowtail. The 40# test you're fishing should primarily be for your benefit knowing that it most likely won't break or get chewed off. I fish 50# top shot on my avet sx when the yellowtail are really biting. Remember, it has only 9lbs at strike but 14lbs max. That is plenty for yellowtail on a kayak. The accurate is not overkill. It's nice knowing you could also go after larger fish with the same setup.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote