Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
5-20

Quick Release Ram Ball Mount for Lowrance Elite 7ti Question

Got a question for you guys. I finally installed a Lowrance Elite 7ti on my L2 Fish. Running a 12v 10ah Nocqua battery and everything’s on a Yak Attack Cell Bloc.

Yesterday was the first time I tried it out and everything worked really well.

My question is with the quick release ram mount that you just slide into the Lowrance.

Are you supposed to feel or hear it clicking or locking into place. I keep on dislodging or popping the 7ti free really easily and it feels like I’m doing something wrong even though i am pressing the Lowrance into the mount really hard. It just doesn’t really seem to be locking anything into place.

Also wondering if any of you use this Ram connection and how well it holds up in the surf zone when you paddle out.

I’m not sure I really want to connect and disconnect the main unit every time I paddle out or back in. That seems to cause connection issues sometimes. But would hate for a wave to rip the unit free and damage all of the connections permanently.

Couple of pixs from yesterday. Zero fish fishing around the bait barge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L2 Fish and Lowrance Elite 7 Ti Pix.jpg (83.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Ram Mount Pix.jpg (53.9 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by 5-20; 04-08-2019 at 02:49 PM.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
FISH11

The rear plastic cover (handle) with the name needs to be raised up and then insert the base and release the housing. I think the base then fits flush with the rear of the unit. That blue V is more like an arrow of the direction to move the handle, funny. My 2c's
Old 04-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

yes sometimes after lifting them open you need to wiggle your head unit a bit to make it seat up and close tightly
Old 04-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
5-20

Thanks! I'll try that. Appreciate it.

Still kinda curious if any of you guys with this type of mount feel confident enough in it to paddle out and back in through the surf with it?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I’ve been using that mount for 5 years. Never had a problem. Always leave cables plugged in, and unit mounted while surf launching/landing.

Last edited by YakDout; 04-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
5-20

Awesome, thanks, Brandon.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Awesome, thanks, Brandon.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
Flounder

How many hours are you getting out of the 10ah battery with this unit?
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try that. Appreciate it.

Still kinda curious if any of you guys with this type of mount feel confident enough in it to paddle out and back in through the surf with it?
For me, if the surf is bigger than 1-2' I'm launching and landing with my elite 7ti stowed in the hatch. I know many folks have high confidence in their surf skills, and don't feel like taking the time to stow.

Ever see a submerged sonar display? They don't survive very well. I have a kraken and I will launch through pretty much anything, as it handles surf pretty well. Regardless of your surf skills or perceived ability to time the sets, a 3' dumper can wreck your shit regardless of what mount you have.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
For me, if the surf is bigger than 1-2' I'm launching and landing with my elite 7ti stowed in the hatch. I know many folks have high confidence in their surf skills, and don't feel like taking the time to stow.

Ever see a submerged sonar display? They don't survive very well. I have a kraken and I will launch through pretty much anything, as it handles surf pretty well. Regardless of your surf skills or perceived ability to time the sets, a 3' dumper can wreck your shit regardless of what mount you have.
Thanks, appreciate it.

I still don't think the quick release mount is attaching exactly right. Every time I try to move the fishfinder by grabbing the back of the screen so i can move it around a little bit, it ends up detaching from the mount very easily.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate it.

I still don't think the quick release mount is attaching exactly right. Every time I try to move the fishfinder by grabbing the back of the screen so i can move it around a little bit, it ends up detaching from the mount very easily.

Show us a picture of how you’re mounting it. You may have the two tab bracket upside down.