Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
deptrai

Not a SoCal report

But what the hell. I was forced to move from SoCal to OR 4 years ago and dearly miss home. Except for days like today. Up here they have a place called Pacific City. Dory boats and kayaks (only in spring & summer) can do surf launches and you can leave your vehicle parked on the beach. A half mile from the beach is Haystack Rock. I had my limits in less than 2 hours...6 Black Rockfish, 1 Greenling and 2 Lingcod. Plus I handed off 2 keeper Lings.

Just wish they had lobster here...have to settle for Dungeness Crab and Razor clams instead.
Attached Images

deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
momo fish

Nice and great report!! Visiting a buddy up there soon and this helps figure out areas to fish..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
flemdogg
Island Blood

Moving to Portland area in a couple of years for law school. Pacific City will be on my list to check out. Sounds like you had a great day on the water.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Caseym

Cool pics. Love watching those dories launch and return. If your house smells like fish when you turn on the A/C I think I know why!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #5
summers in kuwait

Nice pics and report. I miss the North Pacific. Love those massive rock outcrops.
Looks like a beautiful day!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I lived in Portland before moving down here to San Diego, I can say that Pacific City is a great spot, the Cape (Kiwanda) really protects the launch, making for easy launching in less than ideal conditions! As far as beauty it is unsurpassed, lots of birds and sea life all around. If you go a few miles off-shore you can find a nice flat gravel bar that is full of Pacific halibut. The parking on the beach is awesome, as is the Pelican Brewing Co, nothing better than sitting down with a good pint and watching the sunset behind the haystack rock and the cape!! AND you can catch salmon on the troll up there. Enjoy! PM me if you want some more pointers, but you seem to have a pretty good idea of where the fish are. Also sign up for NWKA and go to the seminars and meetings, great bunch of guys up there. They have a HOW chapter up there as well!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote