Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Chuck D

Patience

SO, amongst all the talk about launching/crashing and being safe, overly safe not safe enough I decided to make a video of my launch yesterday. I truly believe that if you have a reasonable sense about you, you know when to launch or not launch. I also feel that taking chances to loose $1000 or more of gear is just plain stupid. I have only turned away twice in my life and am happy I did. Through much experience, yesterday was not the worst I have been in, but how far the waves were crashing out and the ripping current, definitely did not make me dive head first into the surf. Patience, the title of this video shows how sometimes it takes a while to find your gap and it is certainly worth it. Through paddle surfers, scuba divers and googins with lattes telling me where to launch I eventually made it out safe, took a while. The waves were medium 2-5 but crashing far and from my experience this is not a good scenario if you get caught out there with crashers on top of you. Enjoy the vid, oh and by the way, fish report. Caught one sculpin, wave/wind sucked but saws miles of bait and one YT boil, overall brutal day. Tight lines.

Chuck D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89r9xXF_jX8
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

high tide plus wind. no way. I always go down to the boat launch area, the waves are smaller there
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
jorluivil

Great video and great suggestions, wouldn't expect any less from Chuck D!!

The best advise that I ever received came from Greg, he said, "the best time to not launch is when I launch".

The second best advise also came from Greg, he said, "the time time to not land is when I land".

The third best advise also came from Greg, he said, "the best time to launch is when the water gets to its highest point". His reason for this makes complete sense. Once the water reaches the highest point on the beach it means that the largest surf has past and the lull has begun. Obviously, you still have to consider those nice sized breakers that like to sneak in.

Follow these three rules along with a little patience and you'll survive most if not all launches and landings.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
LawDog

I have launched all up and down the coast. The absolute number one thing is stay straight(keep your rudder up and manage the yak with good paddling. Nose straight ahead and paddle at as close to your 100% as possible while still able to maintain directional control. You can push through 4+ ft breakers if you do this. I'm not advocating you to take your yak up to tresses and launch but as long as you paddle THROUGH the breaks you will just get wet.

Again, I will say if your unsure, don't take the chance. There will be plenty of other days out there. In my opinion though, landing is soooo much dryer once you master it. Don't surf the waves in. Just paddle in slow and gigue a few back paddles as a wave is passing and it will go under you. Once you are inside the break you can just let the waves push you in. Use your paddle as a break only to maintain directional control. Once you are not powering your yak, just manage energy, don't add any(don't paddle). Takes some practice but I haven't flipped in at least 3 years and that was on a 10' yak.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Nice vid and info! We're your rewarded for your patience?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Great video and great suggestions, wouldn't expect any less from Chuck D!!

The best advise that I ever received came from Greg, he said, "the best time to not launch is when I launch".

The second best advise also came from Greg, he said, "the time time to not land is when I land".

The third best advise also came from Greg, he said, "the best time to launch is when the water gets to its highest point". His reason for this makes complete sense. Once the water reaches the highest point on the beach it means that the largest surf has past and the lull has begun. Obviously, you still have to consider those nice sized breakers that like to sneak in.

Follow these three rules along with a little patience and you'll survive most if not all launches and landings.

Great video Chuck, and amazing lesson in patience. More power to you all who surf launch and land. I have been kayak fishing for about 3 years now. I can't seem to get over my apprehension when it comes to the surf. I have done it 3 times, the last time being over a year ago. I wanna get out there and catch some game fish, but the fear holds me back. So kuddos. I have great respect for all of you.

Janine
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Like 5 times during that I was thinking "just go dude"
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

practicing in warm water is always nice. I only surf launch in lajolla never had the guts to try anywhere else
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
driftwood

After kayak fishing for more than 10 years, never thought I would ever get seasick again.
Halfway watching this video I had to take Dramamine.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
buddha

Usually going out in the surf is easier than coming back in because you can be assured of pointing the bow of the kayak right into the wave at a right angle.

The real question is how long did you take to land it that day?

Same patience applies to landing for sure.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I think the frequency of the sets makes it more difficult to get out. If it's 2-3 feet, but you only get one every 10 seconds, that's manageable.

If it's 1-2 feet but you're getting one every 3-5 seconds (or faster like in some parts of the video), that's much harder to paddle-through.

Personally, I think getting out is relatively easy... coming back in is when it gets tricky IMO... still haven't figured that part out.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 04-02-2014 at 07:09 AM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Gigafish

W.t. break on through to the other side. Cool vid.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I think the frequency of the sets makes it more difficult to get out. If it's 2-3 feet, but you only get one every 10 seconds, that's manageable.

If it's 1-2 feet but you're getting one ever 3-5 seconds (or faster like in some parts of the video), that's much harder to paddle-through.

Personally, I think getting out is relatively easy... coming back in is when it gets tricky IMO... still haven't figured that part out.
Couldn't agree more. So far no issue going out. Just keep it straight and go. Coming back in is a roll of the dice.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
TheBentRod

Thanks Chuck.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
momo fish

Always love watching others launch as I learn more each time so thanks!

Question, why can't you leave mirage drive in and use that when launching since it's faster and assume that would help breaking through waves. (And supplement with paddle.) Just got a hobie and wondering out loud I guess. I'm sure there are reasons and just want to know why. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Question, why can't you leave mirage drive in and use that when launching since it's faster and assume that would help breaking through waves. (And supplement with paddle.) Just got a hobie and wondering out loud I guess. I'm sure there are reasons and just want to know why.
In the shallower knee-high water, your fins will hit the bottom, especially in a trough. You just don't need to risk it with an expensive component like the Mirage Drive.

If you walk out further to waist-deep or chest-deep water you can leave the drive in without major concerns.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Chuck D

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Always love watching others launch as I learn more each time so thanks!

Question, why can't you leave mirage drive in and use that when launching since it's faster and assume that would help breaking through waves. (And supplement with paddle.) Just got a hobie and wondering out loud I guess. I'm sure there are reasons and just want to know why. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A couple of reasons for me. First I feel that I have more instantaneous power to push through waves with my paddle. Second there is more adjustability of speed and direction with a paddle then peddle. Lastly is you were to crash and you peddle was not strapped with the bungee it could be painful for you, your drive or both. I feel a lot safer landing and launching with a paddle. The only time I use my drive is launching in virtually no waves, i.e..Baja the Bay and landing with no waves, i.e.. the Bay or calm day at the Jewel.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #18
StinkyMatt

I ALWAYs land with the mirage drive in.

There is a bungee that retracts the fins flush against the kayak when you stop using the drive.

Some people launch with the drive in. Just make sure its deep enough before you use them or you will bottom out and likely turn your kayak sideways.. Done that

If you ever bend a mirage drive fin mast it is pretty easy to straighten it out with a hammer.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
A couple of reasons for me. First I feel that I have more instantaneous power to push through waves with my paddle. Second there is more adjustability of speed and direction with a paddle then peddle. Lastly is you were to crash and you peddle was not strapped with the bungee it could be painful for you, your drive or both. I feel a lot safer landing and launching with a paddle. The only time I use my drive is launching in virtually no waves, i.e..Baja the Bay and landing with no waves, i.e.. the Bay or calm day at the Jewel.

I like to launch and land with my paddle as well, I don't have the speed the mirage drive has but definitely control.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #20
JimPat

So do you put he Mirage drive in and strapped so that he fins are along the hull while launching or is the drive out until deeper water? It looked like Chuck had them in during his launch, might be wrong.

Squid
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote