Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
kurtfish

3rd annual Bill Poole Tournament a big sucess

The Bill Poole Angling Tournament was very successful. Although the weather did not cooperate for the fishing on Saturday we did raise over $60,000 for Hubbs White Seabass Replenishment program that has planted over 2 million WSB into our local Southern California kelp beds. I fished on the Excel with only 5 tuna, one of each species, and two small Yellowtail landed. I did not have a bite although I threw a mega bait at some boiling BFT.
The winner of the High Sportboat category was Goran Kirouski.
The winner of the High Tournament Angler was also Goran Kirouski!
His fish was a 36 pound Albacore caught on the Excel fishing 100 miles south of Point Loma. Hooked just twenty minutes after the start of trolling Saturday morning, on a Mexican Flag colored Zuker, Goran battled the fish in rough weather.
The albacore was fat and in beautiful condition.
Goran received a wonderful carved Hawaiian fish hook by the renowned artist David Wirth.
The Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament is held to benefit the Hubbs Sea World Research Institute and it's program to enhance white sea bass stocks in California.

The silent auction was very sucessful as well with over $11k raised for WSB with special thanks to OEX with a very generous donation of a beautiful Malibu kayak.

Thanks to Wade and his buddies that braved the very challenging conditions off La Jolla to participate in this very important event that helps secure the future of this great sport and commercial species.

Last edited by kurtfish; 08-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
wade

Big Thanks Kurt & Hubbs for all your efforts!! !

I braved the washing machine for just one of the days of the Tourney...
ChefT went out for round Two!!??!!

Big Up Mr. Wolfman for supporting Hubbs Research fully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
kurtfish

Great BBQ and Sushi from Sushi on a Roll

Wade and fellow fearless wonders, Your efforts to secure the kayak divsion trophy are to be commended. I hope at least some of you did attend the BBQ banquet on Sunday. We had over twenty volunterr chefs serving great food and beer from Karl Strauss. Sushi on a Roll served great rolls and even a aquaculture abolne salad. The tours of Hubbs breeding tanks were great for kids and adults alike. Who doesn't like to get up close and personal with 64 pound Yellowtail. Fish hook trophies are being saved for next year and I hope we will see many more yakers participate in this great event.

Thanks again Wade and crew, Kurtfish
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Happy to hear it was a great event. I am looking forward to join in and fish as well as donate to the cause. Thank you for all the time and effort promoting this event. I am starting to come up for air after all the scouting stuff we have done this summer.

Cheers

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
PAL

The event raised a record $60,000 for the white seabass enhancement program, money that is sorely needed because the state failed to deliver all the promised funding.

Here's the WON coverage: http://www.wonews.com/t-EventReport_...al_080211.aspx
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Thanks to all involved glad to hear of the great success, and the efforts
put into it for the , maybe someday I will get my own
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

ulatiopics of the albacore?!? They are rare this year!

If you caught your first white seabass this year make sure to put this event on your calender for next year.

It wasn't very long ago that catching a white seabass was considered very uncommon.

Many seasoned anglers have fished their entire lives with out even hooking a wsb.

Rampant inshore gill netting and years of over fishing had taken their toll on wsb

The ocean is a very dynamic ecosystem and there are no doubt many reasons behind the dramatic recovery of wsb stocks.

But I think its important that we all realize that without good fisheries management and a lot of the hard work from many devoted people most of you would never had a chance to feel the thump of a ghost in the dark.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
RobFish
Massive Member

Nice job Kurt! Your efforts and philanthropy are more than applaudable.
$60,000 folks! Think about that for a second. Again Kurt, much props amigo.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
kurtfish

Great WON article, Thanks Paul

Very well detailed article and even a couple of cute blonds squeezed in as well. We really apprecaite your attendance and postive comments during this challenging period. Hope to see you on the water for next year's event.

Best regards, Kurt

Rob, Seven minutes to the launch? Hopefully, only on your motorcycle on one of your early am rides.

Last edited by kurtfish; 08-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
wade

I don't know if any more hats are available, so someone please check into it.
They did have a huge box the other day filled..A great way to contribute to Hubbs and match your "Let Us Fish" cap theme of supporting our much needed cause(s), and it will match nicely the new White Sea Bass design Charles B. from Kelp Clothing should be printing soon!!!!

Maybe this link will be of some assistance to you also inquiring about the Biscuit Baseball Hat!

http://www.hswri.org/media/entry_for...t_purchase.pdf

Heres some shots of the beautiful King Croaker embroidery on the cap. Their Pdf doesn't do it justice..

PS BajaRick link me, I owe you 20 Bucks!!! whats his email?
mine is sideversion @ hotmail Thanks! Wade

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
kurtfish

Hubbs Hats still available

I just confirmed that we do have plenty of Bill Poole Memorial WSB hats still avaialbel for sale. Great post by Wade on this unique hats. Karen at Hubbs suggests that shipping is typically $3 so please add that to the $15 cost or arrange to pick-up your purchase at the front desk of the Hubbs-Sea-World location when you finally get around to dropping off those WSB heads from your big scores in June. Julie typically mans the reception desk at the front door so feel free to say hello as well.

Thank you Wade for your great plug, Kurtfish

Last edited by kurtfish; 08-04-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Sweet! Love the hat. Going to get a couple as gifts.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Chuck D

Hey Kurt,
Glad to hear the tournament was a success we owe Hubbs quite a bit out here in San Diego. Went out Fri night and caught a pup thresher, other than that it was a sloppy night for sure, nothing else on the hook. Nice to meet Wade out there, gave me a few useful tips, cool guy! Till next year!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
kurtfish

Missed at the BBQ

Chuck, The great BBQ was included in your entry fee. I hope you did make it although I did not see you. The sturgeon fish tacos were great and abalone salad was very unique. Hope to see more familar faces next year and we are even talking about adding dining certificates and maybe even cases of beer for the winners to get more of the materialistic guys invaolved. Your Threasher may have been the only fish caught in the kayak division. Hopefully, the squid may come back with the cooler water. I wore my fullsuite to BS on Friday with a nice swell coming into Boomer Beach.

Thanks for your support of Hubbs great work, Kurtfish