Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
kurtfish

Go for the DH Grand Slam over Zombie Triplets

With all the WSB slaughter postings lately I thought I would offer a bit a change of pace to help us focus on more summertime related issues like bbqs and warm ocean surface temperatures. For those of you that appreciate a nice warm bed at night and are not so proud of your hunter gatherer heritage that you will drive through three counties with your kayak and three WSB hanging out the back of your truck for all the Laguna Beach and Santa Monica environmentalists to see I suggest an afternoon troll of the waters a bit south of the squid grounds local zoo. Although, Wades video did suck the audio was interesting and the releases are much to be commended. Next time bring some tags for those ghosts. I have only released one WSB under peer pressure form the Darkhoarse so my comments are not a passage of any sick judgment just an observation of recent posts and images of Bellcon's Triplets and his incredible "I want to go kayak fishing" video still dancing in my head.

There are still some Yellowtail out there for those that don't mind paddling a bit further South around the corner. I nailed a nice 31 pounder on a trolled Mac a few days after I returned from New Hampshire earlier this month. Along with my son's WSB which I take just a bit of credit for I hope to complete my own grand slam later this month during the Bill Poole Memorial Tournament set for July 29 -30th. With lines in at 6pm I hope to get some sleep on Friday night to recharge for Saturday fishing till 6pm and maybe even find a kayak Halibut that has eluded me so far.

The High Angler Category for the Tourney will likely go to a kayaker as the tuna continue to be so elusive and triplets won't be counted. Yellowtail, WSB, Halibut and the various tunas are all included in this WSB benefit tournament.

"Anglers may submit one fish per eligible species (see above). The heaviest single fish will determine the winner in Categories A through E (ties will be decided by a coin flip). The heaviest combined weight (one fish from each eligible species) will decide the winner for the High Angler Catagory."

We will be offering beer from Karl Strauss but the bbq is not just a fisherman's affair, hatchery tours with Hubbs scientists, and SeaWorld animals including Arctic Foxes along with a great silent auction with a kayak generously donated by OEX, a SUP, laser skin care basket form La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic, SeaWorld Dolphin Encounter passes, dining certificates from The Fishery, George's, Baypark Fish Co. Brigantine, PL Seafood's, Bistro Pazzo, PB Fish Market, Scuba Diving Lessons to go along all the great fishing tackle Bob Fletcher, Carl Schmidt, and Rockcod Rick have collected as well as a wide variety of fishing trip certificates donated by local and long-range boats. Hope to see a good contingent of BWE members joining our efforts to continue to help our WSB stay so plentiful. http://www.hswri.org/index.php?bShow=82&cat=3

If you are not available for the tournament or even the very family friendly bbq at Hubbs Mission Bay facing patio please feel free to donate to this worthy cause of replenishing the triplets by joining my virtual tournament team, Kurtfish. http://www.bill-poole-tournament.com/registration

Name:  YTJuly11.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  49.1 KB
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
blitzburgh

That's a beauty!!!!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
dmrides

Nice fish Kurt. I am Bummed I will be out of town for the tournament. Good luck to you and all those that enter.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
roadx

another fine fish Good luck on the slam!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
kurtfish

virtual tourney team

If you can't make the tourney join my team and if we win The Fishery dining certificates I'll host an evening at this great local restaurant in Pacific Beach and invite all Kurtfish team memebers.

Thanks for your support, Kurtfish
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
kluts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
With all the WSB slaughter postings lately I thought I would offer a bit a change of pace to help us focus on more summertime related issues like bbqs and warm ocean surface temperatures. For those of you that appreciate a nice warm bed at night and are not so proud of your hunter gatherer heritage that you will drive through three counties with your kayak and three WSB hanging out the back of your truck for all the Laguna Beach and Santa Monica environmentalists to see I suggest an afternoon troll of the waters a bit south of the squid grounds local zoo. Although, Wades video did suck the audio was interesting and the releases are much to be commended. Next time bring some tags for those ghosts. I have only released one WSB under peer pressure form the Darkhoarse so my comments are not a passage of any sick judgment just an observation of recent posts and images of Bellcon's Triplets and his incredible "I want to go kayak fishing" video still dancing in my head.

There are still some Yellowtail out there for those that don't mind paddling a bit further South around the corner. I nailed a nice 31 pounder on a trolled Mac a few days after I returned from New Hampshire earlier this month. Along with my son's WSB which I take just a bit of credit for I hope to complete my own grand slam later this month during the Bill Poole Memorial Tournament set for July 29 -30th. With lines in at 6pm I hope to get some sleep on Friday night to recharge for Saturday fishing till 6pm and maybe even find a kayak Halibut that has eluded me so far.

The High Angler Category for the Tourney will likely go to a kayaker as the tuna continue to be so elusive and triplets won't be counted. Yellowtail, WSB, Halibut and the various tunas are all included in this WSB benefit tournament.

"Anglers may submit one fish per eligible species (see above). The heaviest single fish will determine the winner in Categories A through E (ties will be decided by a coin flip). The heaviest combined weight (one fish from each eligible species) will decide the winner for the High Angler Catagory."

We will be offering beer from Karl Strauss but the bbq is not just a fisherman's affair, hatchery tours with Hubbs scientists, and SeaWorld animals including Arctic Foxes along with a great silent auction with a kayak generously donated by OEX, a SUP, laser skin care basket form La Jolla Cosmetic Laser Clinic, SeaWorld Dolphin Encounter passes, dining certificates from The Fishery, George's, Baypark Fish Co. Brigantine, PL Seafood's, Bistro Pazzo, PB Fish Market, Scuba Diving Lessons to go along all the great fishing tackle Bob Fletcher, Carl Schmidt, and Rockcod Rick have collected as well as a wide variety of fishing trip certificates donated by local and long-range boats. Hope to see a good contingent of BWE members joining our efforts to continue to help our WSB stay so plentiful. http://www.hswri.org/index.php?bShow=82&cat=3

If you are not available for the tournament or even the very family friendly bbq at Hubbs Mission Bay facing patio please feel free to donate to this worthy cause of replenishing the triplets by joining my virtual tournament team, Kurtfish. http://www.bill-poole-tournament.com/registration

Attachment 4594
Fish hangin out the tailgate so enviros can see,parading them around?video to be commended?your not serious are you,seems your missguided rant would be better served if you gave other people grief,like videoing deliberate catch and releases of c bass,half the time they float up dead and are very fragile,and if they are released,theyre very exhausted,now that in my opinion is not taking care of the valuable resource you have down there,get what you want and get off the water,,im just tryin to figure out where you were going whit that outburst,I dont get it?
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Chuck D

Nice fish Kurt! See you on the water next week. Put your game face on
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
bellcon

Quote:
Wow Kurt,????
First, awesome Yellow!

Truth is, some nights I do prefer a 15' long piece of wet plastic to a nice warm bed and yes I do travel through 3 counties to fish La Jolla and it is almost always a good time whether I catch fish or not.
I will say this; I have never had 3 WSB hanging out the back of my truck for anyone to see.
All the fish I catch are put in an ice bath ASAP, in fact that trip I went home with 2 fish having given another kayaker a WSB at the launch. (He is a much more experienced fisherman than I, it just wasn’t his night)

As far as my "Zombie Triplets", I get it; it upsets some people that I caught limits, but as my daughter used to say…”Whatever”

After I did it for the first time last year, I thought I would never do it again, even if I had the chance. I won't make excuses for my take, or get into the details of why or how it happened. It happened.
And although I don't plan on doing it again, I don't make promises I can't guarantee keeping. Maybe I can promise if it happens again I just won't post it... OK that I can guarantee.

I don't know the mortality rate of WSB when caught and released, I have heard that it is very good in most cases, others say not so good. But it is obviously not 100%. (Hubbs has stated their opinion on the matter)

I will say this, I paid my dues fighting the MLPA both with my time and money and whether I continue to drive a 100 miles to fish La Jolla or eventually move there and become a “local”, the privileges of fishing those waters or any California waters are as much mine as anyone’s.

I respect all of our resources, I follow the laws when fishing and no one should worry about what I choose to kill. Believe me with 4 kids who love the taste of fish and many other family members and friends in line, NO fish go wasted from my “Slaughters”

I guess you could say I am guilty of a little “hunter gatherer” pride when I see the look on my 7 and 8 year old, they love watching a fish dad caught go under the knife and on the grill.

Thanks for the fish dope, and congrats again on a beautiful Yellowtail!

Making the Bill Poole Tournament doesn’t look good for my schedule as of now, that may change. I hope you do well again representing kayak anglers, and thanks for all your work helping our fisheries.

Don
Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
theluckypig

on the yellow.

Don pays his dues... he is an outstanding angler, respects the ocean, and well represents kayak fishing... keep doing what you are doing Don! now, go get the slam!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Whoa...don't know where to start...

How about here. Guess I'll get sheyot one way or another, and frankly, as usual, oh phookin' well.

I, we, appreciate all that both of you have done to help keep our fisheries open. To slam another though is the 'divide and conquer' type mentality that is not needed or warranted. Enough said.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

A legal harvest of fish questioned by another "community" member....got to love it.

Whether you go out every week and harvest one fish each week or you get lucky and harvest a few in one night, that is YOUR business, not for someone to question you.

As I said before, I should not have to worry about my "fellow" kayakers questioning me at the landing after a great day of fishing.

God forbid I have a smaller or a larger shark or even a calico!

At this time more than ever, we NEED to be a COMMUNITY. Being a part of a community means respecting and supporting your peers even if they are slightly different than you.

Great job on a very nice YT.

Last edited by StinkyMatt; 07-21-2011 at 11:56 PM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
Fish hangin out the tailgate so enviros can see,parading them around?video to be commended?your not serious are you,seems your missguided rant would be better served if you gave other people grief,like videoing deliberate catch and releases of c bass,half the time they float up dead and are very fragile,and if they are released,theyre very exhausted,now that in my opinion is not taking care of the valuable resource you have down there,get what you want and get off the water,,im just tryin to figure out where you were going whit that outburst,I dont get it?

RE: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10898

in this very thread above , with the release video in question, i stated the following and received absolutly no reply....

"**( I encourage any intellectual or constructive criticism ect re: if anyone thinks I am doing "more harm than good by publicizing such infos) ** "

Although I don't own a Hobie, wish I could afford one, I still revived the ghosts well before releasing, actually till their freakin' teeth tore threw my hands from fighting to get away!! I did not release a big giant air bag to get pecked by gulls.. Another attribute you failed to pay close attention to,take into consideration the game that night one had to bring. No loose drags. Practically buttoned down. Im battling biscuits, ..and also 492 Private Boaters, Anchor lines, & all their lines.., and my fellow yakkers.. Again all without a Hobie, so i have to land him asap before he sounds or breaks me off..Not only is my audio perfectly clear on the video, but my Lowrace HDS is spot on also. Go back and review. I yell out to the BWE crew upon first metering. In 30-40'. (The Croakers were occupying the upper water column, grazing on the rising cephlpod float. All the fish I caught instantly came to the surface from right underneth me. Not 90+..When I'm not busy successfully releasing giant &...
i am volunteering whatever free time I have to numerous Non profit marine & wildlife organizations, to help further our fisheries & surrounding lakes, oceans, ect...Mash Up the M.L.P.A.!!

11,500 Transfer...

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
kurtfish

Cool Grow-out pen Video Wade

Thanks Guys, Finally I get some interesting replies. My last Family Fourth Post with lots of pics of someone much cuter than I did not seem to generate much interest or comments. As you may have noticed in his post I congratulated Bellcon on his most impressive catch and by creating my story about the tails hanging out thru three counties I intended a sign of respect for his long journeys and a dig on the LB and Santa Monica folks that fought so hard against us in the MLPA process. I use the word slaughter as a celebratory gesture to our communities' recent success on the water as the kayakers continue to get more than their share of the local WSB and Yellowtail haul. The morning my son caught his first WSB Darren nailed his 45 Yt and Scally got his 38 when I heard only one other WSB caught by the 8- 10 PBers on the water that morning.

Commercial fishermen are currently slaying the WSB with their gillnets between the channel islands. They save all their heads for Hubbs so if you asked Hubbs to save your stones don't expect a quick response as Mike and his crew are swamped with heads currently. The WSB and Yellowtail populations are doing great in California with our most regulated fisheries in the world. As a native San Diegan I can attest to the lack of WSB in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I did not catch my first WSB till 1997 and then 20 last year makes me appreciate this great fishery, Hubbs great work, and the regulations that have worked so well together to protect these majestic species. I see The Pride nailed some WSB last night with a BD post it looks it may be a zombie zoo out there this weekend as well. I am finally get back on the water this pm after two weeks and I hope to see a good contingent of BWE folks catching more than our share of the local whites. 31 BFT on a one day boat will hopefully send some of the larger baoters down south for the weekend.

See ya out there, Kurtfish
Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
RK

Thanks Wade I saw my arm in that video
RK is offline   Reply With Quote