Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #61
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
This is actually a great point, although we all should be extremely attentive to our suroundings when out on the water, we can become unattentive of traffic, especially if you are on fish or have your eyes glued to the meter, we all need to watch out for hazardous conditions around us, everybody, keep your eyes open out there...
I don't think it could be any worse than the 405 at 5 pm....hope not...lol
let's here it for those sewer butts and Stinkys magic rub...b

Here is the Chart for Long Beach for people who don't know the port. Inlcluding myself...

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18751.shtml
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #62
mtnbykr2

thanks for the chart, I need to get on google and get directions cause I get lost as soon as I leave my front door, will do that soon.
Hey Wd, I will bring you a radio to use if my other half doesn't go...copy?
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #63
wiredantz

sweet
Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #64
GregAndrew

The address for the Cabrillo Marine Acquarium is 3720 Stephen M. White in San Pedro, Ca. When you enter the parking lot, the boat launch ramp is all the way to your left, just passed the Lifeguard station. Pay attention to where you park cause most of the area is designated for trailers.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #65
GregAndrew

BTW, while I will agree that there is storm drain sewer runoff making its way to the open ocean through the all of our harbors, the "sewage" is piped directly into the open waters of our coast.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #66
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
This is actually a great point, although we all should be extremely attentive to our suroundings when out on the water....
You'll be fine with tankers as long as your not out in the middle of the main channel. Personally I like to fish the edges and drops anyway. Tankers are big and easy to see. Just keep in mind they can not stop or change directions. Party boats will almost run you over for fun, just to see you squirm, and watch the small boats and jet skis as a lot of those guys are just oblivious when it comes to how to run a boat in the ocean, and will run you down out of pure stupidity.

The real thing to watch for is wind if you launch at Cabrillo. If whips around to the southwest and starts blowing directly at you from the direction of launch or PV you might want to head in. They don't call it Hurricane Gulch for nothing.

I used to launch my wood kayak on the outside and fish rockfish out on the edges of the Catalina Channel..

Sometimes as far out as six or even eight miles... Fun fishing... but...
Even on perfectly flat days the wind would often come up at noon, and then you'd have a long paddle fighting the wind just to make the cut at the lighthouse.

That day in the pics Looks nice but by the time I got to the lighthouse it was blowing full bore, rough as hell, and it took everything I had to paddle from the lighthouse to the beach. Worst conditions I've ever paddled in.

I've seen it get even worse from my skiff, several times I've got stuck at Catalina, when it was just impossible to cross the channel due to the wind at PV.

I had a trip a few seasons ago where it got so rough off Pt Ferman I wasn't sure I was going to make it. That after trolling Marlin all morning in flat calm seas. The conditions can change very fast. The breakwall cuts the waves but not the wind and PV just creates a wind effect that concentrates the wind and makes it worse. I'm just saying no matter what the forcast is watch out for wind. If you fish there enough you will see what I mean.

Sorry for the chicken shit posts in your thread, once the aggro-dudes got involved I figured it would go down hill. What can you say it's the internet. Lots of finger pointing and little substance.

Pedro is actually a pretty great place to fish especially if your just starting out. It's probably the dirtiest water in California, but it's also the easiest place to catch big halibut in So. Cal.. Back in the 90's I skiff fished it a lot. Caught a bunch of halibut down there, and even once landed a seventy pound black seabass in there. If I was just concerned with running up Halibut numbers I'd probably still fish there more, but I don't really need the fish (I still have tuna halibut and seabass in my freezer) and these days about all I do down there is catch and release wall banging for lunker bass and occasionally hooping.

Personally I prefer the Long Beach end around the oil islands and the flats for em, there's a good hole to the west of white Island and I have found the west and north faces of both islands to be good at times, but you can get butts in many spots up and down the harbor, and Pedro can be pretty decent. My buddies and I used to call the Pedro end the Sewer because after a good rain you can see all kinds of shit in there. Diapers, condoms, syringes, you name it. One piece of advice I will give you is if you get cuts on your hands always disinfect them really well when you get home. That area especially after rains get's a high bacteria count, and you can get some pretty funky infections if you cut yourself fishing there. I like to carry superglue and glue my cuts closed right away when fishing the wall, as it sure beats a nasty infection.

At any rate good luck.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 01-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #67
f'nsabiki

ok, everyone just calm down--and look at the fish I cought

(with the squid that bellcon gave me) couldn't resist posting again.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #68
tony

Nice catch F'nsabiki......
I gotta ask....whats with the blue pool noodle? sidesaddle comfort?
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #69
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Nice catch F'nsabiki......
I gotta ask....whats with the blue pool noodle? sidesaddle comfort?

Pole holder for launching and landing.

Jim
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #70
tony

Cool....I learn something new everyday
I like the tourists standing at attention behind you in the shot too......
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #71
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Pole holder for launching and landing.

Jim

I might have to get one of those, i always launch and land with the poles in the fishing rod holders.

And Jim that kayak looks nice....really really nice...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #72
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

And Jim that kayak looks nice....really really nice...

Completely hand made by Jim Day; the man has major skill, knowledge, and ability.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #73
dxrat
Junior

"Jim Day Quote"
Personally I prefer the Long Beach end around the oil islands and the flats for em, there's a good hole to the west of white Island and I have found the west and north faces of both islands to be good at times, but you can get butts in many spots up and down the harbor, and Pedro can be pretty decent. My buddies and I used to call the Pedro end the Sewer because after a good rain you can see all kinds of shit in there. Diapers, condoms, syringes, you name it. One piece of advice I will give you is if you get cuts on your hands always disinfect them really well when you get home. That area especially after rains get's a high bacteria count, and you can get some pretty funky infections if you cut yourself fishing there. I like to carry superglue and glue my cuts closed right away when fishing the wall, as it sure beats a nasty infection.

After a rain you couldn't find a dirtier place to fish then the oil islands. Did you know the LA river dumps right in to the islands. Every piece of shit from LA to long beach ends up in that river.I have seen outhouses floating in the long beach side. They have to put containment booms on the channel to catch the big turds. So keep telling yourself Long Beach is cleaner.
dxrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #74
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrat View Post
"Jim Day Quote"

After a rain you couldn't find a dirtier place to fish then the oil islands. Did you know the LA river dumps right in to the islands. Every piece of shit from LA to long beach ends up in that river.I have seen outhouses floating in the long beach side. They have to put containment booms on the channel to catch the big turds. So keep telling yourself Long Beach is cleaner.
Based on the descriptions that have been posted this is what I'm imagining LB would look like to those of you who have never been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sewer.jpg (2.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Bio.jpg (3.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Three Eyed Fish.jpg (3.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Homer.jpg (3.0 KB, 159 views)
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #75
Fiskadoro

Quote:
. So keep telling yourself Long Beach is cleaner.
It's like arguing which side of the toilet is cleaner

I like the areas I described based on experience: the bottom is usually more sandy there so you can fish baits tighter to the bottom, and honestly I've found better bites there especially on spawning fish. It's a personal preference, based on how I like to rig, and fish caught. I've always figured there was more sand on the Long beach side do to the river.

Like I already posted I used to fish there but hardly hit it anymore. I'm not expert on it though I know guys that know that area like the back of thier hand. I have plenty of options to fish other fish in much cleaner water, so it's really no skin off my back either way. I was just trying to give the guys a heads up on where they might find some fish on the Long Beach side.

Hey I've been meaning to ask you: Are you the same Dockrat that got banned at Allcoast and still posts at FNN?

If so I had no idea you were into kayaking.

Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #76
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Completely hand made by Jim Day; the man has major skill, knowledge, and ability.

Shhhhhhh.... Don't tell anyone I'm supposed to be the bad guy here..

Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #77
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Based on the descriptions that have been posted this is what I'm imagining LB would look like to those of you who have never been.
LOL... Yeah it's pretty dirty by La Jolla standards.

Even in Santa Monica Bay it can be pretty nasty after it rains. Just too many people upstream, and every piece of garbage they throw into the street ends up in our waters.

I just give it a few days to cycle out after a good rain, I've never had good fishing right after a rain in either the harbor or bay.

Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #78
wiredantz

Quote:
"Jim Day Quote"
Personally I prefer the Long Beach end around the oil islands and the flats for em, there's a good hole to the west of white Island and I have found the west and north faces of both islands to be good at times,

That place is about 8 miles from where we are launching and 8 miles back...

I hope we all get some of this tomorrow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4USlY1JATsE

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-21-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #79
mtnbykr2

Quote:
That place is about 8 miles from where we are launching and 8 miles back...

I hope we all get some of this tomorrow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4USlY1JATsE
from your mouth to God's ears...that is one fast fillet!
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #80
Fiskadoro

Quote:
That place is about 8 miles from where we are launching and 8 miles back.
8 miles.... that's nothing

No doubt.....You definitely do not want to fish that area from Cabrillo as it's a long paddle and it's also down wind so if the wind comes up you'd be screwed.

I always launch at Davies when I fish there, because it's down wind but the closest launch for a kayak is probably Long Beach.

Jim