Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

Don as big as you are, you could sit in the back of the Outfitter and use the front pedals

Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Steve, was the adventure a "wet" ride? another thing I love about my trident.... high and dry!
Well..I never noticed swamp butt or anything but there will be more water in the yak just from the drive well and also in the rear well when the Hobie tank is used. Not too bad though especially if you wear waders during winter.

Hey we could always both go get Pro Angler's but then Andy would probably not let us on the Catapalooza trip due to weight restrictions
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #23
landwhale

With the people that have been moving to the ex paddle class It makes me even more gratefull that at my age I am still able to paddle as long as I want. Don I sometimes feel the numbness though it does not last long and as Jim said try the bent shaft if I could afford one thats what I would use......................................

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
NextBite

get a Hobie Don you will love it

i will sell you my Hobie Revo
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #25
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
Don, you might take a closer look at the 2010 adventure. They look like they sit higher off the water and I have heard they are a dry ride. You should try and work out a day long fishing day demo to be sure.
Agree on the day long demo for sure....However, no changes have been made to the hull of the Adventure in recent years so the ride height capacity,etc are all the same.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
bellcon

Quote:
try the bent shaft..... if I could afford one thats what I would use

Steve
so your saying...
lack of funds are the only thing keep you straight?

well thanks for sharing...
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
JPSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyo View Post
LMAO!! Don, you PUSSY!!
Freakin Kiyo!!

Don Good Luck with whatever you choose.

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #28
bellcon

might have to demo that tandem too
Andy do you have one at the shop?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #29
Gino

tandem weight capacity is like 250 wiht only 1 person sitting in the back...
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #30
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Dang Don, "tingling in your hands" ???

Maybe you're not getting enough of a workout...try towing one of these for half a day, bet that tingling will give way to numbness...
Problem solved...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #31
landwhale

No Don the paddling itself gives me peace. If I want to peddle I take the bike to the market..............................

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #32
Billy V

Don,

Why don't you just buy a $50 trolling motor and a light weight Odyssey battery? The entire package mounts inside a milk crate, a 2x6 bolts on the front of the crate and hangs over the side, thats where you clamp the trolling motor.

Your yak would haul azz. Its cheap to put this together and you could cover a lot of water.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #33
bellcon

Quote:
Don,

Why don't you just buy a $50 trolling motor and a light weight Odyssey battery? The entire package mounts inside a milk crate, a 2x6 bolts on the front of the crate and hangs over the side, thats where you clamp the trolling motor.

Your yak would haul azz. Its cheap to put this together and you could cover a lot of water.

Might as well just buy a skiff...
but I'm not that old yet
this body still has a few miles left on it
Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #34
ray
Junior

with only 1 person in the back of an Outfitter the capacity is 200 lbs and in an Oasis it's 220. OUtfitter is 450 max and Oasis is 550 max with 2
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #35
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

When Hobie introduced the peddle drive to kayaks, they released the genie in the bottle. Several other manufacturers either have peddle products currently available or about to be released.

This month's Popular Science has a page devoted to kayak fishing which features something called the Mariner 12.5 from Propel. It is a peddle kayak with a propeller. Unlike previous models from this manufacturer, this is not a glorified canoe with a peddle drive. It is a sit-on-top kayak that they claim is designed for fishing, although probably for lakes and rivers, not what we do.

The propeller drive has some advantages such as being able to go in reverse. It would probably be a real pain in the kelp, however. Having never had the chance to try this technology, I can only guess.

I have a Revo and am very happy with it. That said, Hobies are not without a few warts. I look forward to other manufacturers pushing the envelope a bit which will lead to improvements in technology that everyone can enjoy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #36
Seaangler
Junior

The only thing that worked for my 230 frame was the PA. I'm to old and too fat to not roll the rest. Only thing that sucks about pedals is banging through the kelp...have to bring up the pedals and its a pain in the ass to paddle that barge. Other than that love the size and storage space.....able to stow my rods and bag my reels. Ya never know when that sneaky breaker is gonna get ya on the way in.
Seaangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
deepdvr

Hobie has tested revos up to 550 lbs. without any issues. They list 350 lbs. for liability purposes.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #38
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
When Hobie introduced the peddle drive to kayaks, they released the genie in the bottle. Several other manufacturers either have peddle products currently available or about to be released.

This month's Popular Science has a page devoted to kayak fishing which features something called the Mariner 12.5 from Propel. It is a peddle kayak with a propeller. Unlike previous models from this manufacturer, this is not a glorified canoe with a peddle drive. It is a sit-on-top kayak that they claim is designed for fishing, although probably for lakes and rivers, not what we do.

The propeller drive has some advantages such as being able to go in reverse. It would probably be a real pain in the kelp, however. Having never had the chance to try this technology, I can only guess.

I have a Revo and am very happy with it. That said, Hobies are not without a few warts. I look forward to other manufacturers pushing the envelope a bit which will lead to improvements in technology that everyone can enjoy.

Bob
saw somebody in the mariner last month peddaling around seemed to be peddaling around just fine why u would buy one when hobie parts are local is beyond me different strokes for different folks seems like the guys that are paddling are doing it cause they cant afford a hobie,sponsored by someone else or take pride in saying they paddle like it makes there arms look like 22'' either way im koo just as long as your fishing !!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
-scallywag-
Banned

I have a hobie and I definantly could not afford it.....there's just no substitute!! With the introduction of the PA and the new "super" adventure islang thing, Hobie needs to have inhouse financing and pre-rigged packages....just think, $99 a month for 36 months, for a kayak!!!

.... and if you keep an eye out you just might see some of those "sponsored" guys peddling around too....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #40
dxrat
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
with only 1 person in the back of an Outfitter the capacity is 200 lbs and in an Oasis it's 220. OUtfitter is 450 max and Oasis is 550 max with 2
Yeah, but you could set up the bait tank in front to help out the weight issues.
I have an outfitter you can demo all day long if you want to. Pedaling pussy
dxrat is offline   Reply With Quote