Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
CaliHalikiller

Hobie rod storage

I'm currently looking for a new kayak thinking sticking with OK but Hobies seem way more comfortable so my question is how do you store your rods while surf launching I mostly surf launch when I fish malibu Leo county line any suggestions on model to look at
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
NICKWORN

You dont

You just leash them and hope for the best.

I've developed a style I call stop and go. I paddle and when a wave approaches I paddle backwards into it, then chase that wave. I continue this until i'm knee deep then just jump out.

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

I launch in the same area. Early on, I actually lost a really nice rod just relying on bungee straps on the side.

I found a nylon Velcro strap at West Marine that I mounted on the bow of my boat. I lash all of my rods together, and strap the tip end here. (Todo: replace those washers with aluminum) I usually tie them off to the handle, and the butts are secured by the livewell strap.

I always keep my reels inside the boat for launch and land.... definitely less than ideal to have to rig the whole thing from the beginning, but a lot better than Ever getting sand in one of my reels in a tumble.

I know guys who use the rod pod on the Trident, and I’ve been considering getting one for that exact reason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49AEA143-BBCB-4ED2-A3DF-D646B741AE2E.jpg (51.4 KB, 232 views)
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
Flounder

I play the odds, leave mine in the Hobie tank holders with homemade weed whacked leashes for most surf. Big surf I put them in my pa12 horizontal holders and bag the reels. Since the pa is not fast i land in reverse and has given me extra control and works well with the ob as well. You may not look fast or sexy like the surfers but it works for me and upped my landing success rates. Good Luck

Last edited by Flounder; 12-11-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
I found a nylon Velcro strap at West Marine that I mounted on the bow of my boat. I lash all of my rods together, and strap the tip end here.

I do this too, but...

...I strap a length of PVC pipe tightly in the velcro and then stick my rod tips into it.

That protects the tips from breakage.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
TJones

2016 and below

7 ft rods or even larger could be placed through front hatch. when you get to butt of blank is where you will have to do the manipulating. be careful of front hatch gasket. it may separate at seam. I have done this technique many times with reels attached. you will most likely need to remove foam on inside of kayak. do this at own risk. I have not purchased a current outback with the newer hatch that has been resized. apparently, it has been reduced in size. putting rods on side of kayak in malibu is asking for trouble. I have broke a few guides. if you are using throw away rods or have money to burn, no big deal.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
TJones

great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
I do this too, but...

...I strap a length of PVC pipe tightly in the velcro and then stick my rod tips into it.

That protects the tips from breakage.

Andy
this should be posted in other forum. I may have missed this post? this could have saved me hundreds? great share. brilliant idea.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
TJones

playing odds at malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I play the odds, leave mine in the Hobie tank holders with homemade weed whacked leashes for most surf. Big surf I put them in my pa12 horizontal holders and bag the reels. Since the pa is not fast i land in reverse and has given me extra control and works well with the ob as well. You may not look fast or sexy like the surfers but it works for me and upped my landing success rates. Good Luck
is like asking to replace your bait tank very year.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

Hobies more comfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHalikiller View Post
I'm currently looking for a new kayak thinking sticking with OK but Hobies seem way more comfortable so my question is how do you store your rods while surf launching I mostly surf launch when I fish malibu Leo county line any suggestions on model to look at

I hare that some Hobies are finally using some comfortable seats. You should still try out the new OK seats as well as others. My seat is awesome. All day and no problems. Big Game 2

aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliHalikiller View Post
I would definitely look at the new OK Tridents. They paddle really well, and I've heard are good in the surf too. I know every OK kayak I've had, that I took in the surf, handled it well. I never took my Trident in the surf, but I loved it. Only problem was the weight capacity for me and the seat pan. The new seats seats have solved the latter. I need to work on the former.

Wilderness has some good paddling kayaks too (I paddle a Ride 135). But, someone else will have to chime in on how they perform in the surf. I know I won't take the Ride in the surf though.