Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
bolocop

First legal Halibut...Fishing Report

Launched Shelter Island with a buddy on Sunday, Mar 9. Caught a spottie right way, then a sculpin, then my first legal halibut after 6 months of trying.

I noticed that the bite is on from sunrise to about 9:30, then it's completely dead. Maybe I need to change up the colors...

22.5" to 23", not huge but my first keeper.
Attached Images

bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Nice fish, but be careful. You need to measure with the mouth closed.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Nice fish, but be careful. You need to measure with the mouth closed.

When the DFG measures your fish they will lay it flat on a board, literally push the fish up against a plate so that the mouth is closed and measure it. I've seen them use tape measures but even when they do they will lay the fish on top of the tape measure, close its mouth and measure it. I know how exciting it is to catch your first legal because I still remember mine but don't put yourself in a bad position.

If you have to measure it twice consider it to be short.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 03-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Hondatom

Congrats! I am still in search of a halibut. I am now 50 and I have NEVER caught 1. Enjoy the fine table fare and keep up the good work!
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Big T
Member, You Member!

Yeah, what YourBaseBallBat said. That thing looks DANGEROUSLY close to being short with the mouth closed. Might be an optical illusion though. But they DO put it on the board with the mouth closed and if you're just a sculpin-hair short... snap. BUT... on the other hand, I have seen it that close and with the right amount of "innocent humility" that he "thought" it was big enough, the DFG gives a stern warning and lets it fly.... Only seen that once. But only seen a DFG measure a fish twice at the docks either.

Cut er up and enjoy.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
TJones

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Launched Shelter Island with a buddy on Sunday, Mar 9. Caught a spottie right way, then a sculpin, then my first legal halibut after 6 months of trying.

I noticed that the bite is on from sunrise to about 9:30, then it's completely dead. Maybe I need to change up the colors...

22.5" to 23", not huge but my first keeper.
never ever give up halibut secrets around here . congrats on the fat fish . definitely listen to the experts . that would be one hard to release , but nothing is worth the cost of getting caught .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
bolocop

Thanks for the encouragement and the scare! I would feel absolutely terrible taking a short...for real!

I had a buddy measure the catch right after taking the hook out just to make sure and he gave me the thumbs up. Yeah, I did measure twice because I was excited about my first legal.

Maybe it's not clear, but the ruler isn't all the way to the open, bottom lip.

I will take all your advice and apply it to future catches, but I have no problem calling this at least 22" and legal.

Fishing karma preserved...IMO.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
alfsteur

That's a nice legal haul!!! I help measured it twice (with butt mouth closed!! ), the angle on the pix probably skewed it somehow, but Bolocop has nothing to worry about!

Btw, any of you guys talk to DFG folks doing survey out there? I think it's a really cool study... a young DFG lad mentioned to me it's THE LARGEST survey of saltwater species ever!
alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

congrats on your cherry getting popped!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
svendawg

bait

What bait and rig did you use, if you are willing to share
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsteur View Post
That's a nice legal haul!!! I help measured it twice (with butt mouth closed!! ), the angle on the pix probably skewed it somehow, but Bolocop has nothing to worry about!

Btw, any of you guys talk to DFG folks doing survey out there? I think it's a really cool study... a young DFG lad mentioned to me it's THE LARGEST survey of saltwater species ever!

Those surveys have been going on for an eternity. The cute girls always get my attention and I let them measure whatever they want

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

They use millimeters to measure these days?

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Those surveys have been going on for an eternity. The cute girls always get my attention and I let them measure whatever they want
Hahaha

Nice job. I am looking for my first halibut myself.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
bolocop

Used a grub and dragged it on the bottom with a Texas rig. Not sure how well it works, since this is my first legal. No bites the previous 6 months!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Wow, 6 months dragging a grub around until it caught something? Well you are persistent that's for sure. I usually give something a few hours before I toss it in the bin.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Grunt31

Another way to avoid a scare is always count a legal on the catch at least at 24. That way after it's been out a while and shrivels a bit, you should still be in the clear. I mostly fish on Pendleton and I've seen tons of guys pull in legals then the game warden rolls up.... Measures and BOOM! Not so legal anymore. But most DFG fellas have common sense and know it but you'll still have to toss it back. Either way congrats on the pull.
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
bolocop

Ahhh, the shrinkage excuse! I never thought it would apply to fish!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #18
Grunt31

If it's 22" on the pull in.... And a warden comes by and measures it 21.5" their measure is all that matters. But good luck with more pulls
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #19
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsteur View Post

I have hear that these surveys aren't DFW and actually MLPA trying to get data to take more of our waters away. Just hearsay of course.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Saba Slayer

Survey

Those surveys are DFW. They call them a "creel survey".
During the Lobster advisory committee meetings the DFW and commercial Lobster guys and the NGO's tried to use the data from a creel survey that was conducted years ago, to prove that the ratio of hoop netters and divers was about 20% divers to 80% hoopers. That's total BS... as most divers walk right off the beach or launch from a slip and never even get seen, counted, or interviewed by the DFW at a hand launch dock or launch ramp.
Like the lobster report card, creel surveys are just another tool or piece of the puzzle to help see the whole picture...but they are definitely not quite as valuable as the DFW makes them out to be, since the info can be as skewed as the respondee feels like giving that day.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote