Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
matthew7!

Want to go Shark fishing

Does anyone target sharks? Looking for a couple pointers on how to target sharks. What’s rigs you guys you and areas fished. I’ve heard of people targeting leopard sharks in mission bay with live bait. Anyone wanna go out and look for sharks with all this is over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
TJones

right about now

T sharks are probably schooling up at LJ. . so are yellows and seabass.. I hope this ends before summer is over. fly lining live bait will work, but you will probably have better luck with a Carolina rig using 6-8 oz lead. switching to heavy leader is wise idea. I will direct message you. seems like Jorge is giving me the run around and doesn't want to fish with me anymore.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:19 AM   #3
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
T sharks are probably schooling up at LJ. . so are yellows and seabass.. I hope this ends before summer is over. fly lining live bait will work, but you will probably have better luck with a Carolina rig using 6-8 oz lead. switching to heavy leader is wise idea. I will direct message you. seems like Jorge is giving me the run around and doesn't want to fish with me anymore.
+1
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Fishing Doheny late spring early summer with a 3 way swivel rig between 30-120ft will catch you a bunch of leopards. Live mac or sardine. If you don't want to lose a half a dozen hooks, use wire.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Fishing Doheny late spring early summer with a 3 way swivel rig between 30-120ft will catch you a bunch of leopards. Live mac or sardine. If you don't want to lose a half a dozen hooks, use wire.

Thanks for that. I need to get on the water.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Does anyone target sharks? Looking for a couple pointers on how to target sharks. What’s rigs you guys you and areas fished. I’ve heard of people targeting leopard sharks in mission bay with live bait. Anyone wanna go out and look for sharks with all this is over?
Leopard sharks, soupfins and spiny dogfish sharks are eatable. Some say tasty.
They are everywhere. You would be surprise how shallow they hang out. If I was going to fish for them, I would fish a 6/0 hook with a whole frozen squid in 10 feet of water. Skin diving for more years then I wish I could have back, I'd go to cobble stone points and hunt them over mussel beds. As I've observed leopards "crocodile" rolling, digging their meals out of them. They reach 7 feet long, but you can keep them as small as 3 feet.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
TJones

it would be nice

if we could throw out a line when the are schooling at Lj. . there must be hundreds of them? it is pretty amazing if you have not seen it. I believe it is a year round thing? an internet search might provide an estimation for the approximate time of year.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote