Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
trollindirty
Junior

La Jolla hookup Aug 29 and/or 30th

Hi everyone,

I'm relocating from Reno NV to Raleigh NC. Since I love saltwater fishing in my Hobie Outback, I decided it'd be worthwhile to detour to San Diego for a day or two of kayak fishing. I have a lot of experience kayak fishing offshore at the Rigs when I lived in Houston prior to Reno.

I want to launch from Avenida de la Playa. I plan on going to the kelp beds (past the restricted zone) and jig midwater/bottom as well as troll/freeline any bait I can catch with my sabiki. I'm targeting yellowtail, but will be happy with rockfish or whatever else I can get. I have sonar/gps and can take 2 rods with me.

First, I'd be much more comfortable if there's other kayak fisherman in the area. From what I read, it seems like this area is pretty popular with kayak fisherman. Is it likely that I'll have company on those days? If not, I'd love to hear from anyone thinking of going so that I can meet up.

Can anyone enlighten me on the surf conditions I should expect? Whats the surf structure in that area (number of sandbars, how many sets of breakers, anything I should be aware of, etc)? What swell/surf conditions and sizes are "doable" for a reasonably safe launch and reentry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bo
trollindirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Check the LJ Webcam--It gives a great view of the surf zone.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
jbara

Not sure how it will be that day. Some days it's a pond and others common sense will tell you that it's too much. If you have experience going to the rigs in Texas you should be fine with LJ. You might catch a couple to the face and chest that you have to power through on rough days. If.you get scared coming in just jump off and hold on from the back for an easy ride in. Always have you're gear stowed before leaving and coming in and should be good to go. Good luck. You're timing for fishing should be great since this season has started so slow.
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

I saw a video where a guy would return to shore by facing the oncoming waves. After a wave would pass he would back paddle untill the next wave. He would paddle through each on coming wave then continue to back paddle until he reached shore. Is that a technique that others are doing or just this one guy?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
trollindirty
Junior

f'nsabiki,

Thanks for the tip. It helps, though I know from experience that a lot of times you can't tell just how big the surf is until you're face to face with it lol

jbara,

Launching is much easier for me. Don't mind getting wet on the way out. Coming in is the hard part. Even with gear tied down i hate having my gear go underwater or rods breaking. If it is shallow enough I'm totally fine jumping into the water if it increases my chances of not turtling. There were times in texas when a breaker would start turning my kayak and right before it would flip I'd jump out.

Since my schedule is constrained to those dates, and we have no idea about what conditions will be, do you have a suggestion as to where I could launch in more sheltered water and still have a decent water commute to some offshore kelp? Mission Bay comes to mind.

daperrin,

Yes this is a thing that some kayakers do religiously. The theory is you have a much easier time staying pointed into the surf if youre facing the surf. I never tried it. But it would be worth trying with an empty kayak when you have time. The fat body of the Hobie Outback loves to get turned parallel to the surf when coming back to shore, which is definitely not a position you want to be in.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

If you are making the trek to fish la jolla, just launch la jolla. You will be fine. Stash everything below deck you can and tie down the rest. The yellowtail dont care if there is surf or some wind, actually they seem to bite better when there is big swell and lots of current. In the late summer, the majority of significant swell are from the south, which is totally protected at the shores launch. Just charge it, you'll be fine.

I guess you haven't given us all the info, if you are an older individual or have some physical disabilities, I would be cautious. If you are a healthy adult and you have a PFD, charge it.

If you want to catch a yt you will have to focus on the yt the WHOLE trip. Get your bait as quickly as possible, put out your flyline, and just cover ground. Look for bait balls and birds. Your plan sounds good. Troll that mack and drop your jig on marks and you have a great shot!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
jbara

Agree with chris. Stick to LJ or stay in the bay. Mission to LJ is 8 miles uphill. Point loma is to the south and the water to me is not as pleasant. Also if you end up with a strong current you will end up down the point would almost be easier to circle back into San Diego bay by that point and you would have to have outgoing incoming tide times perfect for that. Btw the kelp is really low this year.
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
I saw a video where a guy would return to shore by facing the oncoming waves. After a wave would pass he would back paddle untill the next wave. He would paddle through each on coming wave then continue to back paddle until he reached shore. Is that a technique that others are doing or just this one guy?
I've landed that way for years. An Outback is not so good in the surf.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Bruntoj

I always come in backwards in my PA14. 95% of the time I do it upright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Nickrivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
I've landed that way for years. An Outback is not so good in the surf.
Just went out for the first time in my Outback, definitely likes to go sideways. Had a big wave break over me and I got soaked.

I think I'll be swimming it to shore next time...

Nickrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
trollindirty
Junior

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm excited to get down there.

For the guys who come back to shore backwards, is there any more specific strategy to this? Is your mirage out and rudder up? when a wave is coming do you charge into it, stay put, or continue paddling backwards? I will keep my sonar on and if the depth is 3-4 feet I have no problem jumping out and walking my kayak the rest of the way.

If the yellowtail are not biting that day, what would be the secondary fish target for you guys, and the way you'd fish for them (in late August). I realize most of you local guys would maybe just call it a day. But I'm coming from far away and want to maximize for the day or two I'm down there.

Should I bother with a short wire leader above my hook or knife jig? Do I need to add a weight to my line if fishing live bait?

Thanks again for all the replies. An active forum like this increases chances of success for someone like me.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Bruntoj

Regarding backwards:
Keep the mirage in and ready, and power pedal into every wave. You’re most stable when moving. You only want to be going backwards again once the wave has passed under your butt. In the PA14 I stop pedaling and dig in my paddle to catch some of the wave’s momentum. If you fill up the cockpit in a PA14 then only forward momentum can keep you upright.

I’ve actually seen people surf Outbacks. You can also brace sideways without window shading and do a lot of things the PA can’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

As Trolldirty says, you should keep the mirage drive available but use the bungy to make them retracted to the hull. In my experience, paddles work best when going in backwards. It is usually wet but much less wet than flipping when your yak turns sideways in the surf.

For the normal small surf at the launch, just time your dash to the shore using the peddles, (with the bungy) and have the paddle ready to lean on if you go sideways.

Most of us have flipped lots of times.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Yak will roll in a pretty insignificant wave...one you could easily handle standing up. Unless it's a real surf day, the waves at the boat launch break in like waist deep water, and the yak tends to roll even shallower. If things go literally sideways on a mellow day, you can jump out on the seaward side of your boat and grab hold of the side handle. On a mellow summer day, you're not in very deep water and you can avid embarrasingly losing your stuff in 2.5" of water in front of a bunch of tourists.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
Flounder

I have a pa 12 does not go in well forward at all. Switched to backward landing and success rate is 100% over last year on not flipping in lj.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
trollindirty
Junior

I will try coming in backwards. Unless the waves are small enough, then I'll charge forward.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Hoping to see some of you guys out there. I'll throw another post on this thread a few days before to see if anyone is down to meet up.

Tight lines
Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
Flounder

Friday 30th

If the weather is good I will be out there Friday 30th. I'd be willing to let you tag along as many here have let me do the same.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
trollindirty
Junior

Thanks Flounder. I'd appreciate that. Let's hope for good conditions.

I realize your plans aren't set in stone yet. But if they are, what time would you typically get to the beach, and what time do you plan on launching. If you do come I don't want to keep you waiting.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
Flounder

I usually arrive around 6 and launch. Waves forecasted<1.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
FISH11

It doesn't look like you'll have to worry about the surf on launch or landing. Thursday surf is 1' or less, Friday's forecast is 2' but the intervals are short at 6 seconds, that's the only possible issue on landing on Friday. If you charge the landing you should be OK, but like always look over your shoulder for that possible rouge wave that doesn't break early. No need to come in backwards, unless you like hanging in the kill zone. Good luck.