Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
tak100
Recruit

Cabrillo 8-02-19 (Outer Beach)

Got on the water a bit after 8.

it was a gorgeous morning, clear sky with just a touch of breeze.

Water was murky in the morning but cleared up as the day went on. Water temp was all over the place. Started at 61 which was a bit lower than it was last time I was out. It got as low as 59 mid morning when the current rolled in and back up to 63 by the afternoon.

Fishing was really tough. The bites were all very light. I probably missed more fish today than my last 3 trips. Usually I fish the point and when the bite slows down I head over to the thick kelp and fish vertically in the holes. It is a pain because every 3-5 drops you get tangled but I always catch. Not today. Only thing that worked was in the foam just outside of the waves breaking against the rocky point.

I even made a few drifts near a boat that was using live bait and didn't see them pull anything out.

I tried to fish through the next tide but got blown off the water at 3.

While I was futilely drifting through the kelp a harbor seal was popping up here and there. They are usually pretty shy but this one was all over the place. I got tangled and was looping around to get free and it wasn't one but three. Two normal size and a one little guy. They stuck around for an hour or so. I guess they were doing well there, lol.

It was a nice day on the water until the wind picked up. Good to get out after working so much the last few weeks even if the fishing was slow.

Final count was 4 kelp bass.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report.