Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Dan

Getting smoked!!

After getting smoked by yellowtail, it's nice to return the favor.

After the neighbors are styled out and you can't even look at another piece of hamachi, I usually smoke the leftovers. Time is not something I have alot of so, I've evolved the smoking process down to a few hours.

Take all your leftover bits and cut them into small pieces. The smaller the better, more surface area means faster smoking. In a large ziplock, pour in a small bottle your favorite terriaki. Add enough water till all pieces are submerged, add a cup or two of brown sugar and mix in the bag. Add any additional spice you might want. I put a little bit of red pepper and sesame seeds. Let it soak in the fridge for 1+ hours and then put em on the smoker. This batch was done in 2 hours. I added so much brown sugar that the brine was almost like cold maple syrup...which gives a killer caramel taste in the end.

good luck out there.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
RK

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!
Im reading this drinking coffee trying to convince myself that they will go good together.... I look forward to the last scrap after you have fed the fam, neighbors, kirk, german guy at work, and dogs......
That made my mouth water bud yewwwwwwwwwwww.....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I am going to get a smoker this week some time. I have a few questions.

Is there a big difference in the brand?

Should I get an electric or propane unit? The other ones are too time consuming from what I understand.

How do you know if it is cooked enough?

How long will smoked fish last?

Thank you in advance for your help. And that Yellow looks awesome
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

yyyyyyyumyy
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
I am going to get a smoker this week some time. I have a few questions.

Is there a big difference in the brand?

Should I get an electric or propane unit? The other ones are too time consuming from what I understand.

How do you know if it is cooked enough?

How long will smoked fish last?

Thank you in advance for your help. And that Yellow looks awesome

I use a Brinkkman, $69 at Home Depot, electric element. Pretty budget, but gets it done. I used mesquite or alder for fish. Put something aromatic in the moisture bowl -- orange juice, pale ale, stout, coffee, your choice.

You know it's done because if you keep picking pieces off the smoker every time you check it there will be nothing left. I try it and if it's done, it's done, mostly once it gets that great looking glaze.

I vac pak it in small batches and it theoretically could last a looong time, but i usually kill it pretty fast.

good luck, go get em.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Awesome Thank you very much.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
j mo

Sounds like I need to get smoked!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
tight lines

forget the propane and forget the electric ...just stay old school and use some lumps and work the smoker like a cowboy.soak some apple wood or manzanita (if you can get some manzanita).Protected plant ,but good for smoking .the slower and longer you smoke ,usually the tastier ,if you can keep the temp at about 160 - 180 degrees.takes lots of time and patience .You may ruin some meat a few times by over-smoking it or drying it .It is def. a form of art in cooking in my opinion.I say start off with some pork ribs you can almost not ruin em.Then work your way into the fish if you have never smoked.I like to use my upright smoker with a simmering pot of flavored broth just under the meat to add some humidity to the smoke.Dan ,you just made me want to go fish so i have something to smoke .
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
RK

Pack this in your pipe and smoke it

Lucky for me 99 ranch had YT on sale.

Neck of Fish, Sweet Sake, Soy, Garlic, Sambal Olek, Ginger, Honey, and one hell of a seafood selection at an asian market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kama 002.jpg (74.0 KB, 121 views)
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Regor
Greg

I've been using this one for 3 years now:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outd...moker/12429510

Used charcoal for quite a while, but that's actual work keeping the temp steady. Got lazy and decided to utilize my smoking time by drinking a beer and cleaning a reel instead of stocking the fire.

I've been using this site for all my smoking advice for years (includes very active forum):
http://www.smoking-meat.com/
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
evilkhemist

For smoking and any other BBQ needs I have a Kamado grill or also better know by the brand name Big Green Egg. It is great for smoking fish, ribs or anything else for that matter. We even make pizza on it, this is done at 700F. Try one and you will love it, except for the initial price tag.
evilkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkhemist View Post
Big Green Egg.
those are Eggs are so cool. If I sold everything I had, I'd buy one of those and maybe a hobie.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
roadx

DAMN that looks good!!!!!