Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
ElectroMike

Outigger System

I have a Cobra Explore and have been thinking about adding an outrigger system to give it the extra stability I think it needs for ocean fishing. I have seen ALOT of cheezey DIY setups and moost seem like they will not hold well in the ocean. I don't have the $ (spending it all on gas) for a highier end system. Any one have any experience with outriggers? Thoughts? Is it my lack of experience that make me think I need more stability for my yaka? I being a big p+++y

Last edited by ElectroMike; 08-09-2008 at 07:31 AM.
ElectroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
madscientist

IMHO, outriggers are more work than they are worth. 99% of the guys out in the ocean are fine without them. You'd probably be better off moving to a more stable yak if you feel it's necessary. Or just put your legs over the side if you feel tippy while on a fish or otherwise.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sounds like and invitation to get tangled up

I have enough trouble with my line getting tangled on my rudder, (hard to get back there to untangle). Adding outriggers would only make things worse. Besides, how would you bring a fish to the side of the boat in order to gaff or net?

My Revolution is plenty stable. The Hobie outback is even more stable, probably impossible to flip. I agree with the previous post. If you are worried about stability, go test some other boats, I am sure that you will find something that works for you.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
tacmik

I also have an explorer. I have never had a problem with stability anywhere. La Jolla, M.B. or San Diego bay. Have had it loaded down with hoop nets and still no problem. I even have been able to stand up in it on mission bay.
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post
Is it my lack of experience that make me think I need more stability for my yaka? I being a big p+++y
Honestly Mike, I think it may be. If you simply hang your legs over the sides while seated in the yak it becomes much more stable. Outriggers are not the answer.
----------------------------
Thats what I do when hooked up to a big fish.

When loading up my bait tank I sit side saddle and drop the sabiki directly into the tank for the macs to calm down, then unhook them 1 at a time.
-The same goes for hooking up a mac.

I suggest you take your yak out in sheltered waters and climb all over it trying different maneuvers. Open and close hatches, slide all the way forward and aft. Sit side saddle and try reaching around the yak.

This is the only real way to test the limits and will build your confidence.

I climb all over a 27.5" wide adventure and have never had a problem since I tested it to its limits in Mission Bay.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Side Saddle Sabiki Action

What a great idea. Just sit sideways while making bait and drop the fish in the tank while still hooked!! Why didn't I think of that. It sure beats hauling the flopping fish into the yak, trying to catch them and then blindly reaching back to drop them in the tank. I lose half the bait using that method.

Sometimes I feel really stupid.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote