Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Pre-Fish Battle of the Bays

Launched at King Harbor about 8am and I was done with a limit of Rockfish by 10am...there were some nice big Grumpy Rockfish biting. Lots of doubles on the AHI Squirts with a little strip of Squid.

I also connected on 3 short 20" butts...I just couldn't find that legal yesterday.
They had some perfect sized sardines yesterday and the Halibut loved em.

Mike and Jake were out on the bait barge working on a new shed for the receiver operator...hopefully this means that they'll have bait available all summer.
As long as they can catch it Inseine bait said that they will have some fish in the receivers on June 10th. for our tournament.

There were a few schools of Bonito blowing up on bait in the harbor yesterday and I managed to throw the small b/w Rapalla into the fray and got two nice ones for dinner. The Bones were a good solid 1-1/2 to 2 pound Spring Fish (fat and oily)...it's kinda unusual to have them show up so early, but what a wonderful surprise. I love pulling on them with the light line and they make some great Poki and spicy tuna rolls if you bleed and ice em right away. These were some really good fighting fish and they didn't want to come to the boat.

I'm toying with the idea of having a Rockfish division in the Battle of the Bays King Harbor event...and having a separate prize for the biggest bag of three rockfish...What do you guys think???

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Rad stuff Jim! A Rockfish division would be cool! My suggestion would be to strongly encourage everyone to have some type of release rig, otherwise it could be carnage on the little guys. I will be trying some of that Bonito poke when I get some this year!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Devices

What Devices do you two guys use ?

I'm old school...when I dedicate a rod to the release I used this inverted hook set-up with a one pound weight attached to the snap swivel...

The last few years, since I've had a Pro Angler, I've been using a small basket similar to the milk crate I use on my skiff....the basket takes up more room on the yak but it allows me to release two fish at a time.

The widespread use of release devices is the reason we were given an additional 60' in depth a few years ago by the DFG.
Thanks for the input...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Samcro

Nice Haul! Damn honey does from keeping from fishing!
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Totally awesome Jim!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Geno
Old 05-14-2017, 05:30 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
How far out of the harbor did you go......

I never been there but Google picture of King harbor and bay.....it looks like a gnarly break water with big rocks there to the right of jetty and straight out to Sandy coast line.....
Old 05-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Maps

Here are a few maps of the area...
The launch will be super easy as it's a dock type launch and the entrance of the harbor is a very safe entry and exit to the outer waters. You should get a map of the area or google some info to find the many artificial reefs and wrecks outside the harbor. The Redondo reef is only about 1 mile outside and the Hermosa Reef is just to the north of the harbor break wall.
Notice that big underwater canyon right in front of the harbor....it drops to over 300' deep within 1 mile of the harbor.

This last map has some shaded areas I've added and this is the only legal areas to fish in the harbor...on the left side of the harbor near the bend in the wall is where the bait barge is located. Those three big dots on the left side are three green bouys that mark the perimeter of the legal areas.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
Hunters Pa

Trailer parking at yacht club?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Saba Slayer

Did you get the email sent to all registered participants?

Maybe you should read it...
Short answer is Yes...!

"The lot is big and should hold about 100 cars. Small kayak trailers should be no problem to park."