Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

EPIRBS now with reach

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/ACR-MINI.../acr2766.6.htm

142 bucks!

peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
madscientist

That's a good deal. Specs are funny, though...

Quote:
Operating life: 24 hours @ -20C (-4F)
Guess it's designed for ice fishing.lol
Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
aguachico

Thanks for the info. This could make the solo baja runs a lot safer.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Hmmmmmmmm....

Thanks for posting this Bing, an affordable epirb is something new. I never saw the need for one fishing La Jolla, but now it seems like a great idea.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Sebastian

http://www.islandmarineelectronics.c...p_18-1056.html#

Found the same for $117.00

Anyone have any idea on the quality of this EPERB?
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
peguinpower
bing!

ACR is basically the benchmark out there. The miniB300 does not have a GPS position transmitter, but soon as you trigger it, the CG will know something is up and will try to triangulate the user.

/bing
Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

From the USCG Navigation Center

406 MHz EPIRBs

The 406 MHz EPIRB was designed to operate with satellites. The signal frequency (406 MHz) has been designated internationally for use only for distress. Other communications and interference, such as on 121.5 MHz, is not allowed on this frequency. Its signal allows a satellite local user terminal to accurately locate the EPIRB (much more accurately -- 2 to 5 km vice 25 km -- than 121.5/243 MHz devices), and identify the vessel (the signal is encoded with the vessel's identity) anywhere in the world (there is no range limitation). These devices are detectable not only by COSPAS-SARSAT satellites which are polar orbiting, but also by geostationary GOES weather satellites. EPIRBs detected by the GEOSTAR system, consisting of GOES and other geostationary satellites, send rescue authorities an instant alert, but without location information unless the EPIRB is equipped with an integral GPS receiver. EPIRBs detected by COSPAS-SARSAT (e.g. TIROS N) satellites provide rescue authorities location of distress, but location and sometimes alerting may be delayed as much as an hour or two. These EPIRBs also include a 121.5 MHz homing signal, allowing aircraft and rescue craft to quickly find the vessel in distress. These are the only type of EPIRB which must be certified by Coast Guard approved independent laboratories before they can be sold in the United States.
A new type of 406 MHz EPIRB, having an integral GPS navigation receiver, became available in 1998. This EPIRB will send accurate location as well as identification information to rescue authorities immediately upon activation through both geostationary (GEOSAR) and polar orbiting satellites. These types of EPIRB are the best you can buy.
406 MHz emergency locating transmitters (ELTs) for aircraft are currently available. 406 MHz personnel locating beacons (PLBs) are available.
The Coast Guard recommends you purchase a 406 MHz EPIRB, preferably one with an integral GPS navigation receiver. A Cat I EPIRB should be purchased if it can be installed properly.

Triggering a 406MHz EPIRB will get the SAR ball rolling, but it will not provide rescuers with your location unless it has an onboard GPS. It can take several passes in order to get a good fix. Having an EPIRB with a 121.5MHz beacon or a VHF radio will help them localize your position. That could still equate to a long time in the water. Getting an EPIRB with an onboard GPS can get rescuers heading your way in just a few minutes. That might be worth the extra $400 - especially if you're 17.5 miles offshore and you've been catching blues and makos all day

http://www.acrelectronics.com/resqfix/resqfix.htm
http://www.acrelectronics.com/aquafix/aquafix.htm

BTW: The Coast Guard's new communications system, called Rescue 21, has the ability to DF on VHF radios. If you're in range of the high sites you have a good chance of them receiving your Mayday and plotting your position. Another good reason to have a VHF Marine Band radio with you. Just make sure you broadcast your Mayday on Ch. 16.
I'm not sure if Sector San Diego has received Rescue 21 yet, but they had a SPAWAR system that DF's from the high sites. The local high sites are at Pt. Loma, Mt. Soledad and on one of the peaks on San Clemente.

Here's a video about the use of Rescue 21 in a rescue
http://www.gdc4s.com/content/816a4a1...ideo_popup.cfm
Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
esdees
The Good Clone

DF = Direction Finding
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
THE DARKHORSE

I was thinking the same thing, you get what you pay for.

Triggering a 406MHz EPIRB will get the SAR ball rolling, but it will not provide rescuers with your location unless it has an onboard GPS. It can take several passes in order to get a good fix. Having an EPIRB with a 121.5MHz beacon or a VHF radio will help them localize your position. That could still equate to a long time in the water. Getting an EPIRB with an onboard GPS can get rescuers heading your way in just a few minutes. That might be worth the extra $400 - especially if you're 17.5 miles offshore and you've been catching blues and makos all day

Doug, you are like my personal N.A.S.A. assistant, I knew you would come to the rescue and evaluate the specs for me, so thanks.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-14-2008 at 05:43 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
aguachico

Doug;

What about a HH VHF with GPS and DSC?

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0
Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
peguinpower
bing!

Thanks for info. So this 121.5 Mhz EPIRB is a locating beacon. It won't trigger SAR but it will get them to find you. You'll still have to make a DISTRESS call and tell them you activated an EPIRB.

A second scenario is that you are already missing and being missed. At which point, the assumption is you dont have propulsion or VHF capability. When SAR goes out to try and find you they'll know you have an EPIRB and home in.

Not bad. I didnt expect to get AAA like service on the water. For 140, its seems to be a decent safety net.

/bing
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Art, good lookin out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Doug;

This is the same model a friend pointed me towards the other day, it seems the best of both worlds.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Doug;

It's A-OK and you're GTG
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
Thanks for info. So this 121.5 Mhz EPIRB is a locating beacon. It won't trigger SAR but it will get them to find you. You'll still have to make a DISTRESS call and tell them you activated an EPIRB.

A second scenario is that you are already missing and being missed. At which point, the assumption is you dont have propulsion or VHF capability. When SAR goes out to try and find you they'll know you have an EPIRB and home in.

Not bad. I didnt expect to get AAA like service on the water. For 140, its seems to be a decent safety net.

/bing
After 01 February 2009, the 121.5MHz systems will no longer trigger a COSPAS/SARSAT satellite. The spectrum around 121.5MHz is too congested so these Class 1 and 2 EPIRBs are being phased out. The shift to 406MHz EPIRB started in 2000 and the FCC has restricted use of 121.5MHz EPIRB since last year. The 121.5MHz EPIRB are still used as crew man-overboard devices. They sell those Mini 300 locator beacons with handheld direction finding (DF) system for use on larger vessels. I think the CG boats and helos have DF equipment to home on the 121.5/243MHz beacons. A mayday call and a beacon will get a response.

All you ever wanted to know about EPIRB can be found at the USCG Navigation Center site:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/epirb.htm

I've wanted to get an EPIRB for several years, but have been too cheap to do so. I used to routinely paddle 3-5 miles out off of Pt. Loma. When I was out there I would think that having an EPIRB would be a good thing. Standing inside West Marine, looking at the ACR display, I would think that I have a better use for $600. Cheap ruled the daylol Now I don't get out enough to justify the cost. I have seen that USCG DF system in operation and I have conviced myself that I'm safe carrying 2 VHF radios.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
It's A-OK and you're GTG
thanks I'm in the market for another HH. This maybe my 'in the middle of nowhere " vhf.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
I've wanted to get an EPIRB for several years, but have been too cheap to do so.
I have conviced myself that I'm safe carrying 2 VHF radios.
x2
I carry a back up VHF radio in my emergency / ditch kit along with a second hand held GPS. Piece of mind makes kayak fishing that much more enjoyable.
Some day I will get either a SAT phone or EPIRB...
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
peguinpower
bing!

Here is a question. I looked at 406 mhz epirbs and they seem to also emit the 121 freq. Is it right to say that the 406 is to get the message out and the 121 is for locating?

"Transmits on 406 MHz via the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system with your registered unique, digitally coded distress signal and 121.5 MHz (SAR homing frequency)"

Thanks,

/bing
Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I think the plan is to have the satellites monitor only the 406MHz. This provides the signal to the rescue agencies. The 121.5MHz beacons will no longer be monitored from the satellites, but they will still be used by the SAR boats/aircraft to home in on the source. Non-GPS equipped EPRIB will only get the SAR craft so close. They still have to find you once they get in the general area (no easy task, even in good conditions). Even with a LAT/LON from a GPS equipped EPIRB, they still have to find you. The GPS fix might not be 100% accurate or there may be some latency that comes into play. That is why it is so important to have signal devices with you. The electronics can get rescuers close, but you still need to have them spot you. Radio beacons, flares, smoke signals, dye markers, lights, signal mirrors and whistles will help make their search much quicker and easier. High visibility colors and reflective strips on you clothing will also make it easier for SAR forces to find you.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
ElectroMike

Alternative to EPIRB

This seems to be a cool alternative to the personal EPRIBS.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx
ElectroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
dgax65
Guerro Grande

EPIRB vs. Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post
This seems to be a cool alternative to the personal EPRIBS.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx
There are some significant differences between Spot and an EPIRB.

An EPIRB signal will be received by COSPAS/SARSAT satellites and will result in automatic alerts at USCG command centers. EPIRB must be tested and certified for use on the internationally recognized COSPAS system. EPIRB are only designed to trigger SAR response from official government organizations. EPIRB do not allow any communication other than beacon and GPS info. EPIRB receivers on geostationary orbit satellites (GEOSAR) provide global detection capability. If the EPIRB has an onboard GPS or a GPS input, it will also transmit it's position to the GEOSAR. That GPS info will be transmitted to the Mission Control Center (MCC) along with the alert. A network of low-Earth-orbit satellites (LEOSAR) also receive the EPIRB signals. These satellites measure the doppler shift of the EPIRB signal to calculate the transmitter's position. Triangulation of EPIRB signals received by the LEOSAR and ground stations (LUT) can provide accurate position fixes, but it may take up to 2-3 hours depending on EPIRB location and satellite orbital position (that's why an EPIRB with an onboard GPS is worth the money).

EPIRB GEOSAR coverage (alerting only, alert and position if using a EPIRB w/ GPS)

EPIRB LEOSAR and ground station (LUT) coverage

Spot is a COMMERCIAL service. Spot units receive position information from GPS satellites. Spot units use commercial satellites to communicate. The signals from Spot units are received at the commercial GEOS facilities. GEOS will alert the closest Coast Guard or applicable SAR organization. When the Spot unit transmits an alert it automatically transmits it's GPS-derived position. Spot has some features that provide greater flexibility than an EPIRB. An EPIRB activation is the last resort (to be deployed only in life-threatening situations, after a MAYDAY has been sent). Spot is a communications device that can send basic messages. It allows alerting of pre-specified individuals without triggering a SAR response. It allows position info to be transmitted and even has a track history feature (for an additional fee). You can even plot the Spot position/track on Google Earth.

Spot coverage is slightly less than the LEOSAR/LEOLUT coverage of COSPAS/SARSAT system (GEOSAR provides global coverage for EPIRB, but will only provide position info from GPS equipped EPIRB).

Basic service for Spot is $100/yr. West Marine has ACR ResQFix 406MHz PLB (EPIRB) for $600 (on sale for $550 a couple of times a year).

Pros

EPIRB:
Internationally recognized and supported technology and infrastructure; mandated by international agreement and maintained by govenrment agencies.
Robust, dependable technology that is tested and certified
Immediate response by SAR agencies
Worldwide alert and poosition coverage (for EPIRB with GPS)
Most 406 MHz EPIRB also have the 121.5MHz homing beacon for localization

Spot
Lower initial cost (lifecycle cost depends on durability of Spot unit)
Functional flexibility-can send non-distress signals, pos/tracks
GPS-derived position accuracy throughout coverage area.
Smal size

Cons:

EPIRB:
Cost-$600 for EPIRB w/ GPS
Single purpose - distress signal only

Spot
No homing beacon
Two step process to get distress signal response
No internationally recognized standard-just a commercial product
Service depends on a commercial organization-GEOS Alliance
Durability?