Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
PAL

EMERGENCY - Help your Malibu brothers. Won't undermine LJ. Easy.

MALIBU KAYAK FISHING ACCESS IS UNDER DIRE THREAT. The LA politicians who helped save Rocky Pt think they have to close Pt Dume as the price. That' s wrong and singles out our user group and free divers.

All I'm asking you to do is email and call every LA County Board of Supervisors. Tell them you oppose Tuesday's motion. It unfairly shifts costs to Malibu's businesses and singles out beach-access fishing. All it will cost is a little time. I'm counting on you once again to help.

Speak from the heart. Be polite. Talk about shore-based fishing access. Point out the P2 plan meets science guidelines. P1 is the same as the P3 extreme position that will take away all of your meaningful opportunity. Even a boundary at Little Dume will close half of your fishing area, but that's preferable to all of it. There are economic arguments too, and after all, this is the modern birthplace of kayak fishing. A sample letter by JJ is at the bottom of this post.

The LA County Board of Supervisors:
District 1: Gloria Molina
Phone: (213) 974-4111
molina@bos.lacounty.gov

District 2: Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: (213) 974-2222
markridley-thomas@bos.lacounty.gov

District 3: Zev Yaroslavsky
Phone: (213) 974-3333
zev@bos.lacounty.gov

District 4: Don Knabe
Tel: 213-974-4444
dsommers@lacbos.org

District 5: Michael D Antonovich
Phone: (213) 974-5555
fifthdistrict@lacbos.org

Quote:
To: LOS ANGELES COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Re: Supplemental Agenda No. 49 A for November 3, 2009 meeting
Dear Supervisor .................,

This concerns Item No. 49A on the Supplemental Agenda for the November 3, 2009, Board of Supervisors meeting, which is a Resolution proposed by Supervisors Yaroslavsky and Knabe promoting support for closures of various portions of the Malibu coastline (Point Dume), among other places in Los Angeles County, as part of the MLPA process. Proposal 1 is misleading! It is NOT a compromise for recreational anglers, divers or boaters.

We urge you to reconsider this Resolution and support Proposal 2, not Proposal 1, for the Malibu/Point Dume area. Proposal 2 has been carefully drafted to meet MLPA’s science guideline, and is the only proposal that enjoys broad-based support from all parties involved in the MLPA process. We would alos like to remind you that there has been significant testimony and evidence presented during the lengthy MLPA process that concerns significant loss of revenue to Los Angeles County, including many of the Beach Cities, if Proposals 1 and 3 are implemented.

We urge you to oppose Proposal 1 that closes Point Dume from Paradise Cove going west past Point Dume and beyond. Such a closure essentially takes away all of the best, most accessible and safest fishing grounds that most recreational anglers have visited and grown to love and respect for decades. More specifically, I am deeply troubled that Proposal 1 takes away the east facing portion of the Point Dume area, including all of BKR (Big Kelp Reef), which is the safest area for recreational anglers, scuba and free divers, as well as private boaters, because it is often in the lee of wind, weather and swell often coming from the West. Proposal 1 places the safety of all recreational users of the Point Dume area in harms way.

My support for Proposal 2 is rooted in access and safety. Proposal 2 leaves Point Dume open. It is my understanding that putting the line at Little Dume has also been proposed. However this shuts off locally precious access to the kayakers and free divers, such as myself, and surf casters at Westward, and takes out many of the best spots for fishing and diving. The modern sport of kayak sportfishing started just east of Dume due to the shelter it provides from wind, surf and weather. Proposal 2 will leave our access to this area intact.

Finally, please consider that for us hook-and-line kayak anglers, there is only one place to safely access in order to fish for rock fish (rock cod.) This is Dume Canyon which is only 1/8 of a mile off Point Dume. Kayak anglers lose all of Dume Canyon under Proposals 1 and 3, but not under Proposal 2. Fishing Redondo and/or Hueneme Canyons are not an option as they are far too dangerous, and puts us in harm’s way with commercial and private boat traffic, in addition to the elements.

I respectfully request that you adopt Proposal 2 for Malibu/Point Dume area. It meets every MLPA science guideline at the lowest possible economic cost. Please support the closures outlined in Proposal 2, not Proposal 1.
Sincerely,
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

Done. I wish I could write more, but my kayak is loaded on the truck and I'm going to get at least one more day on the water.

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:31 PM
To: 'molina@bos.lacounty.gov'; 'markridley-thomas@bos.lacounty.gov'; 'zev@bos.lacounty.gov'; 'dsommers@lacbos.org'; 'fifthdistrict@lacbos.org'

Subject: Supplemental Agenda No. 49 A for November 3, 2009 meeting

Dear members of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors,

I am writing in support of Map 2 for the Southern California MLPA solution. Please reject the resolution proposed by Supervisors Yaroslavsky and Knabe. I believe Map 2 it has the appropriate balance of conservation and consumption, and it meets all of the science guidelines. Map 2 has the most cross interest support, and the buy-in of consumptive fishermen. Los Angeles’s fishing community has a history of actively supporting conservation issues and enthusiastically following DFG regulations to manage the species. Point Dume is especially important to kayak anglers with it’s protected launch, and kayak anglers are environmentally friendly using human powered vessels. Please support Map 2 for the Southern California MLPA process.

I request you reject this Resolution and support Proposal 2, not Proposal 1, for the Malibu/Point Dume area. Proposal 2 has been carefully drafted to meet MLPA’s science guideline, and is the only proposal that enjoys broad-based support from all parties involved in the MLPA process.

Sincerely,

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
zenspearo

Let's help the Malibu guys out. They don't have the number or organizations and this is easy to do..cut-paste-click.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
SGV Rookie

Diddo

Email Sent
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

done, nice and easy!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

bump

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Billy V

I just sent a letter to everybody on that list.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
FISHIONADO

Bump. Many of us told Paul "just let us know how we can help". This is when it counts. Please step up for both La Jolla and Point Dume/Malibu.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
JPSURF

Just finished sending mine off to everyone aswell!!!

Jason
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
FISHIONADO

Anyone else? This game is almost over and we need everyone to step up. Paul and is asking for help. Roll call?

BTW, nice day on the water yesterday. I lost the three bait I caught to screaming clickers and pulled hooks, one held on for 10 seconds before I put the reel in gear. Saw tons of bait but couldn't get them to bite even chumming bread pieces. Probably 30' visibility, divers get out there.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
mr.fish
Junior

e-mails sent

Sent them all some e mails...
Fish on brothers Fish ON!!
Good luck to you guys..
mr.fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
bellcon

Fast and easy
do it guys
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
FISHIONADO

Roll call.

Stand up or shut up. You should have already sent a message to the BTRF here:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6213

and then this message to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. It's Nov 1st, only a few days left to have an impact in the process. Please stand up now.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
C. Cary

Done
Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
zubifish
zubifish

Emails

Just sent to all Supervisors!
zubifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
teto116

just finished sending them letters in!
knock on wood....
teto116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
Geoffkoop

Sent em in!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
esdees
The Good Clone

Done.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
PAL

Thanks guys. Don't stop now. Super easy to do.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
deepdvr

Got mine out
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote