Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for MLPA turnout!!

It was good to talk with a lot of people, and see the show! In the end, C was not moved fwd, but doctrine from it may have life, thanks to scrambling the BRTF.

See everyone at the end of the month for our local roadshow meetings!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
ratdog

I was glad to make my presence known, and it was a pleasure to meet fellow kayak anglers, thank you for getting us organized.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Good to see we had a lot of guys there. It isn't over yet. We aren't going away. We need at least that many at every meeting and roadshow event from here on out to support our RSG guys and to make sure we don't get taken along for a ride.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 06-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
LocoKayako

Good to finally meet you in person Tyler.

I definately felt good to see everyone there to support our stakeholders and to stand up for all the work they have done.

Gabe
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
tattuna

Great to see all the SD guys up here. I was so frustrated and pissed off, I can only imagine what our stakeholders are going through. BIG hats off to them for all their hard work. See you guys in SD on the 29th!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
so cal shaggy

thanks

Yes, a big thank you to everyone that showed up today you all carried yourselves with professionalism and were courteous when speaking good job and I thank you. I am sorry I was not able to speak very much and hang out with you guys I was crazy busy in helping get speaking cards filled out for the spearos with the 30 sec per person speaking time it threw us for a loop and we needed to scramble to get time ceded to people that needed to get their statement made. The next round will be the public workshops where we need a very big showing of people in black shirts see you guys there. Until then I suggest organizing a brainstorming session within your ranks to help put together speaking points and gameplans also talk to your local tackle shop if possible and ask them what large closures would do to their business. Yes, prop "C" has been thrown out but aspects of it will be brought out to help in deciding on the other maps but unfortunately that was the plan all along after the vote last month to get rid of it but us it as an evaluation tool for deciding if the other maps meet the SAT guidlines. Having ext prop C still around is a good thing trust me on this guys it will be a galvanizing map.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
PAL

I can't thank the huge kayak fishing contingent enough. I know a lot of you gave up a paycheck for the day, or you used a precious vacation day to sit in a hotel ballroom when you could have been out having fun. It was a sea of black shirts, and I was very impressed with your energy and the things you had to say. Its no easy deal to walk up to that podium, especially with 200 people watching. I know - I think I was speaker #3 or #4.

YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE! How many times can you say that when it comes to politics? Don't stop now - this thing has a LONG way to go. Start planning right now to attend at least one of the upcoming workshops. They'll be at night, and you shouldn't have to go far. More on the other thread.

Again, I am incredibly grateful for your support and commitment. You people are MEN (and some kick-ass ladies too).
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice to meet some of the OC guys. It was nice to actually meet Gabe, Kiyo, Charles and others for the first time.

Thank you again Paul and MJ. I don't think any of us has the time or the stomach for the meetings you have subjected yourself to for our collective benefit.

For the guys that didn't show up. I know it sucks, but some of us are using vacation/sick time for this. Others are taking unpaid leave from work because it is THAT important. As long as you won't be fired, you need to show up.

We need more guys for the next round. Period. There is strength in numbers. You don't have to be a good public speaker. Just honest and straightforward with your message. You can even read your own statement.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Dan

That was enlightening and very cool to hear all of the passion from the kayak fishing community.

Paul, Tman, and Kurt really nailed their message, WTG! As did many others.

I found it interesting that the 3 Surfrider employee's who spoke all asked for more time for the science to catch up, and stated that they were not for or against proposal "C".

I talked to all three of them and I was encouraged to hear that while they do support the notion of creating MPA's, the process is not buku and they were officially stating that a proposal that whacks all of Laguna (these were from the HQ and Orange County Chapters) was not acceptable as ~40% of their members were also fisherman, including the guy I was talking to. I got their cards and I will continue to follow up on their position and involvement going forward.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
C. Cary

Thank you all for going to the meeting today. It is appreciated.
C. Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
kurt

Good to see so many people who care enough to show up. I think we had the non-consumptive people outnumbered 5 to 1. Lets keep up the momentum, and thanks to everyone who was there today.

Quote:
Thank you again Paul and MJ. I don't think any of us has the time or the stomach for the meetings you have subjected yourself to for our collective benefit.
Absolutely.

Last edited by kurt; 06-04-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add on
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Sunburn
Junior

I was there but work issues would not allow me to schedule the day off. All I had was a few hours in the morning. I got there at 8:45 and had to leave at 11am. I thought I might get my comments in but the mic did not open until about 10:50. I'm glad I was there just to show support!

I caught some of the comments on the live internet feed while at work

Thank you for everyone that showed up. Made me feel good!

Mark
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I really have to thank Joe Nguyen for really organizing all groups. And of course to Paul, and MJ, and the rest of the RSG reps, you have a difficult job!

Today was a success in many ways, I dont want to diminish that fact at all!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
Mr GreenJeans

MLPA

I want to express my thanks to all of those who showed up for this important meeting. I couldn't make it, but listened to bits and pieces on line. Listening to you guys was awesome. I even saw Matt and Josh make their statements. Seeing guys I know stand up there and represent us was incredible.

I promise, promise, promise that I will be there for the next set of meetings at the end of June/early July. I also have some posts up to get the Dana Point guys out to those meetings too. Thanks so much. You guys were amazing.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GreenJeans View Post
I promise, promise, promise that I will be there for the next set of meetings at the end of June/early July. I also have some posts up to get the Dana Point guys out to those meetings too. Thanks so much. You guys were amazing.

David
Thanks David, please make it your mission to rally the DP troops!!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
It was good to talk with a lot of people, and see the show!
I had a great time. It was interesting to see so many people people there from so many different' areas all working together for a common goal.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
esdees
The Good Clone

BIG Thanks! to all the guys fighting for our rights. I'll do my best to make it to the next meeting(s).
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Mr Mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
We need more guys for the next round. Period. There is strength in numbers. You don't have to be a good public speaker. Just honest and straightforward with your message. You can even read your own statement.

I cant stress Tyler's message enough. Sometimes even the most insignificant thing you say can strike a chord with someone on the RSG, BRTF, or I-Team.

Thanks Guys!
/MJ
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
B Slate

Big thanks to all who showed up
I could not make this meeting (had school)
But will definitely make the meetings this summer
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
steveooo

Today was just a day that I couldn't swing. I have already sent the letter I was going to read. Big thanks to those that could make it, see you at the next meetings.
Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote