Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
red34
Junior

Finished Rigging My X-13

Well it's 99.9% done. As soon as Humminbird gets me the transducer exchange in the mail it will be complete. The transducer is the kayak version with the threaded post. It will go in the scupper hole directly under the unit. I tried to keep it pretty simple and done with as few holes as possible.

Console View

I decided to keep the power for the bait tank and the fishfinder seperate. The fishfinder will run on a 9.6v RC car battery. This will go in the dry bag and under the netting to keep from having to run it through the deck.

I re-wired a regular bubbler to run on a 9v battery. With the addition of one of the air stone donuts, it produces 5x the oxygen flow as it would normally. I ran an outflow so that I can add water as the day goes to keep it fresh.

Anchor set-up. Quick deploy and pick-up for moving spot to spot quickly.

Back Deck

Drift Sock and Spare Anchor Rope

Paddle Holders

Seat and Boga-Style Grip

Malibu Casting Deck Installed

They also sent me the plug for the front hatch which I have kept empty for storing fish or large baits when I don't want to mess with the tank. I wanted to keep everything to where I can take it on and off without hassle because I'll use the boat under many different circumstances and may not need everything on there every trip. Anyway here it is.
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
B Slate

Looks like one hell of a fishing machine.
Now whens the trial?
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
red34
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Slate View Post
Looks like one hell of a fishing machine.
Now whens the trial?

As soon as the friggin' cold fronts stop blowing through on every weekend!!! I'll probably just take it out after work as soon as the transducer arrives.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
peguinpower
bing!

I had an 10 cell 8000 mah D cell NIMH battery pack for my FF. Almost 16 volts off the charger and 14 volts most of the time. Garmin is rated from 9 to 20 volts. Worked excellent but had to be charged every week, and the night before fishing. As you know, nimh has a seriously high self discharge rate.

It would die after 6 hours in the water and for sure would not last much the next week after a regular fishing session. The main reason I ditched it, besides the trouble of having to charge it every night before fishing, is that after 1 year, salt came in the battery pack despite heat shrink and silicone sealant. The threat of a short got the best of me. You don't want a shorted nimh pack in your yak in the middle of the ocean.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
hookup
Junior

Your anchor system, is that a secure and stabke attachment to the kayak? I hope that it would not crack or damage your kayak. Let us know how well that works out after the sea trial.

Thanks
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
red34
Junior

The transducer finally came in yesterday. I am going to try a scupper mount for a few trips and see how much trouble it is avoiding damage to the transducer and see how much more detail I get. Anyway, here’s the install.

I left some slack in the cable so that I can bring the transducer into the kayak for any reason I may have to.

Here is is on the bottom. I don't have the nut tightened down completely. It doesn't fit exactly flush, but is tight to the bottom on 1 side and about 1/8th of an inch off the other. It sits up into the channel between the main keel and the side so that when it's on dry land it does not touch.

Its a pretty clean look with no holes drilled!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
jaywo
Junior

looks like a fish killing machine. I also have an x13. You mentioned being sent a plug for the front hatch scupper. Is it from Malibu and where did you find it? Thanks
jaywo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
red34
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywo View Post
looks like a fish killing machine. I also have an x13. You mentioned being sent a plug for the front hatch scupper. Is it from Malibu and where did you find it? Thanks

It did come from Malibu, but I would look for something that stays in a little better. Water will seep in a little and it finally just came out on it's own. Its just a piece of foam like a pool noodle with a tiny piece of bungee through the center. I'm thinking of other ways to plug it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
red34
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookup View Post
Your anchor system, is that a secure and stabke attachment to the kayak? I hope that it would not crack or damage your kayak. Let us know how well that works out after the sea trial.

Thanks

Anchor system didn't work as well as I had hoped. It was a pita in a stiff wind. That's not really what I had intended it for, but then again, I wish it would have had a little better results. I'm thinking about going back to some kind of an anchor trolly.

It seemed secure enough, just had a hard time letting out "scope" line...the anchor would go to the bottom, but wouldn't lte out extra line so that it would be able to hold. Plus the very bottom of the anchor was still in the water even with the extension. Chalk that one up to experience.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by red34 View Post
It did come from Malibu, but I would look for something that stays in a little better. Water will seep in a little and it finally just came out on it's own. Its just a piece of foam like a pool noodle with a tiny piece of bungee through the center. I'm thinking of other ways to plug it.
Check this thread mid-way down on page 1....picture of my plug...go to home depot and pick one up for a $1 or so....mine is bone dry when I want it to be. Been working like that for over half a year now.

http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3546

Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote